My Dell Venue 8 Pro Review

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
OK, so coming from Surface RT, this thing is small, really small, but I like it, because its soooooo much faster than the Surface RT was. I found myself using my surface for consumption 95% of the time, and the other 5% was doing remote access work. Now, I don't even have to use remote access, x86 support is amazing.

- No web compromises at all - Silverlight support (Time Warner Cable streaming TV - device got really warm doing this, probably why its not supported on WinRT), Java, all the Google stuff, just work with x86, no more sad workarounds through crappy 3rd party apps for RT. Not sure what having Silverlight, Java, Chrome will do to the battery, but so far, its pretty great. I streamed NFL game through IE yesterday, still had 70% battery left after 3.5 hour continuous stream. The back of the device gets warm, but not bad at all.
- Install TouchMousePointer - http://www.lovesummertrue.com/touchmousepointer/en-us/index.html for those times where you need mouse pointer support on your desktop. I tried to use an Android trackpad app, it didn't work. Im going to be getting new Nokia Lumia 929 on release day, hopefully it works in the MS ecosystem.
- Active Pen support (Synaptics) - I have yet to use this, but reviews elsewhere aren't so great. For the most part, they say that if your a printer, its terrible. If you use cursive for note taking, its good. I am coming from a really bad capacitive (almost unusable), so any improvement will be good........not to mention that I didn't have to spend 1200$ on Surface Pro to get active digitizer. (eta on stylus delivery is 11/7), ill update my review then.
- Bluetooth mouse is a bit laggy, not sure if its my mouse, or the tablet. Maybe a driver update is needed. It seems a bit jumpy.
- Micro USB - I really wish I could plug in non powered USB drives via an OTG cable adapter, but unfortunately they do not work. I will have to buy a powered hub to get it to work. Kind of annoying, but its the price you pay to have a device this small. The fact that I can connect to home group, and utilize file transfer via wireless network is a great feature of windows 8.
- No wired external display options - I have yet to try using MHL - anyone try this yet? Im hoping that it works. If not, Ill have to try a Miracast receiver - I am concerned with any lag that could occur though.
- Accessories...........or lack thereof - there are no accessories, dell has an overpriced case (40$), and a 35$ stylus that others suggest shouldn't cost more than 10-15$. I would love to find a good case that would prop it up........Not sure why other OEMs don't understand the importance of a good integrated kickstand - really missing this from the Surface
- Performance - FAST....a lot faster than I thought.......this isn't your typical Atom processor, check out youtube, there are some videos of this thing playing some serious games at 30fps.....it is legit. Windows apps from the store are super fast, switching between them, etc.........see below for some desktop apps ive installed:
(note, I chose older versions of software purposefully because they are much less taxing on the cpu, but still serve 98% of their purpose):

- AutoCAD 2007 - runs great, faster than on my laptop (its an old laptop with core2duo processor, and AMD gpu). I haven't tried anything 3D, but I assume it will handle basic functions fine - im not going to render anything with it - that's what remote access is for, but in a pinch, if I need to I can open files natively. It tells me that its not compatible with windows 8, but files open no problem. I think im missing some fonts, etc, but for the most part, running AutoCAD on a 8" screen is freaking cool.

- Photoshop CS2 - I see no issues running this at all - opened a 40mb file, no lag

Going to try Lightroom, Google Earth, VLC, Spotify desktop version, Remote desktop - yes, im going to set up so I can remote access my tablet.........don't ask, just because I can - and that's the beauty of Windows 8!!!.

Loving it so far, it has some minor issues, so close to being the PERFECT portable device. If I were an OEM mfr, id make full USB port a priority - if you have to have a small hump on one end to support it, then so be it, its sooooooo much better to not have to have an OTG adaptor cable. Also, HDMI out should be standard as well, especially since Miracast is still somewhat new tech

sumothong01

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Just found out my wife ordered me one for Christmas. Now just need to find the delivery date and "somehow" get off work early.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Adobe CS6 is running great - had some issues with CS2...........need to buy OTG cable so I can remove recovery partition, getting low on storage. I wonder if I can install programs on my 64gb sdhc card? Anyone know?

MaxHu

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Miracast would definitely have lag/glitches. I am eagerly waiting for your MHL test. It would be great if you can try FHD res in MHL mode assuming it works at the first place.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Nice. I was eye balling one of these for my wife. I like what dells been doing. I do think the 7-8 inch is alot better for portable consumption.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
How dim does the screen brightness go? Can it go almost off (super dim)? I ask because my 7" Kindle File is great for reading in bed (yes I know about the Paper White), but I was wondering if the Dell might be usable for that too.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The screen size is perfect for me, but the lack of USB ports is actually a deal breaker for me. If I'm on campus, and I need to recharge my phone, I don't want to seek a wall outlet for both my comp and phone.

jfreiman

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I am now officially in love with my Venue 8 Pro and I am the first person I know of that can use his mini tablet to record full ATSC/HDTV in Windows Media Center. ��

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
What kind of batterylife do you get with it?

I'm not sure about the OP, but mine arrived on Monday at about 95% charge. I haven't plugged it in yet, and it's at about 48% this morning. I'm not using it continuously, but casually throughout the day; on and off at work, browsing the web and controlling my 360 while watching some netflix.

One minor issue I've noticed is the touch accuracy appears to be every so slightly off. It could just be the size of the device, and trying to touch small links on sites not optimized for touch, but it's an issue I never experience with the Surface Pro, or browsing the web on my Lumia 1020.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
OK, so going to try to reply to most of you above.............
- Havent tried MHL yet, will do tonight and get back to you
- Battery report shows 8hrs 51 minutes active at full charge, connected standby = 5% in 16 hour time period.
- screen goes pretty dim, I keep it that way, bright screen hurts my eyes..........thats why i never cared for 9000 ppi screen that some people make big deals over. You only notice that when brightness is turned way up, and for the most part, i keep it down, easier on the eyes.
- My touch accuracy seems fine, no issues for me. My bluetooth mouse is really stuttery, I get my USB hub tonight, I plan to test our some other devices to see how they work.

Anyone try Miracast yet? Im still pissed i cant just plug into a monitor!

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
The screen size is perfect for me, but the lack of USB ports is actually a deal breaker for me. If I'm on campus, and I need to recharge my phone, I don't want to seek a wall outlet for both my comp and phone.

you can get a tiny adapter cable that converts micro usb to full size slot

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
MHL does not work..............Has anyone tried a displaylink adapter? I am at a loss as to why Dell would not at a minimum provide MHL support for USB video out.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Very nice. I was looking at upgrading my Kindle Fire to a Kindle Fire HD 8.9". I might see the DVP replacing my Surface RT and Kindle Fire.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone comment om how the device work in portrait? 16:10 isn't it?

I actually love using mine in portrait mode to read. It feels very nice in the hands, and doesn't feel heavy or odd that way at all. For browsing the web and watching Netflix, I go landscape, however. The DV8P is a very versatile device that utilizes each mode perfectly depending on what your doing at a given moment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett