Gaming on the Venue 8 Pro

WF Live

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
So far, gaming hasn't been too bad on it.
For a lot of games I wouldn't recommend playing without an external keyboard and mouse.
Ran Star Trek Online on it via wifi tethering to my phone and it worked out reasonably well without having to turn the graphics down to pong level. Will be trying a few others over the next couple of weeks since it's a quiet time of the year.

DaltonCarl

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Anyone using a Bluetooth gamepad? I dont wanna have to cart around my wireless xbox one and the reciever

I have used the red samurai one from gamestop. You'll need xpadder of course to make it useful. Bit worked fine, although you can see a little lag between button click and action on screen.

Micro to full USB to use Xbox controller works great. You can play the walking dead game btw. ( settings on low ). And tablet runs 1080 mkv files with 0% problems.

TheArcaneFlame

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I loaded up Torchlight 2 yesterday and played for a couple hours using a Turtle Beach headset, Logitech tablet keyboard and Microsoft Arc Mouse for Surface. (All Bluetooth) It worked just fine though I was having occasional problems with audio stutter... I don't think that was an issue with the game but instead simply between the headset and tablet. The batteries may have been getting low in the headset.

I played a little bit of Pinball FX2, XBOX Windows Store version, and that seemed to run smoothly.

I was going to try Halo: Spartan Assault. It starts up fine but the interface has some sort of bug in it where it doesn't scale properly and items are all overlapping. I didn't even try to get past the main menu. Hopefully they will release a patch for that.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I loaded up Torchlight 2 yesterday and played for a couple hours using a Turtle Beach headset, Logitech tablet keyboard and Microsoft Arc Mouse for Surface. (All Bluetooth) It worked just fine though I was having occasional problems with audio stutter... I don't think that was an issue with the game but instead simply between the headset and tablet. The batteries may have been getting low in the headset.

I played a little bit of Pinball FX2, XBOX Windows Store version, and that seemed to run smoothly.

I was going to try Halo: Spartan Assault. It starts up fine but the interface has some sort of bug in it where it doesn't scale properly and items are all overlapping. I didn't even try to get past the main menu. Hopefully they will release a patch for that.

all else fails you could load up some Halo 1 or 2 :)

MyStCaL

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've been running Galactic Civilizations II on there for hours at a time and it runs great. Haven't put a memory card in there yet so haven't been able to install anything else.

DaltonCarl

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I play rayman from the store, that game looks incredible on the screen. Also you can EVE online on low settings, at least well enough to update your skills and do a little traveling.

johnnyman82

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
my dvp 8 gets quite hot at top right after 5-10 mins of gaming with nba 2k14 or even asphalt 8.temps are going 65 to 70+.is this normal?

johnnyman82

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
thx for the fast reply.the screen also gets hot on the top right while gameing.maybe this will cause some damage?also i get throttle fast which is annoying...

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
thx for the fast reply.the screen also gets hot on the top right while gameing.maybe this will cause some damage?also i get throttle fast which is annoying...

It's not an iX series processor, if you're running big games on it, it's gonna get hot and push it to the extreme limits.

johnnyman82

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
i didnt read any heat issues for the other 8inch tablets..dont know what to say.i ll be gr8ful if someone post his temps after 10 mins of gaming!

Armada

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
i didnt read any heat issues for the other 8inch tablets..dont know what to say.i ll be gr8ful if someone post his temps after 10 mins of gaming!
I guarantee other Atom tablets have this problem. You are pushing the CPU and GPU of the Atom chip to practically max playing some of these games. Since these tablets are passively cooled (no fans) they will get very warm very quickly. NBA2k14 and Asphalt 8 may not seem very intense to you, but this is a low end chip with no fans. This is a normal result. Some other games may not get it too warm (I've heard that Valve's Source engine games run okay) and casual or 2D games should be fine.

EDIT: As for damage, check the BIOS to see if there is a setting for forcibly shutting down if the CPU hits a certain temperature. This level may still be uncomfortable or hot to the touch, so be careful if it ever does overheat too much.

johnnyman82

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
i dont play games that much but i want to be 100% sure that my tablet dont have problem.i ll search the bios and reply back!!big thx for the help!!appreciate it m8!!

mstrblueskys

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I guarantee other Atom tablets have this problem. You are pushing the CPU and GPU of the Atom chip to practically max playing some of these games. Since these tablets are passively cooled (no fans) they will get very warm very quickly. NBA2k14 and Asphalt 8 may not seem very intense to you, but this is a low end chip with no fans. This is a normal result. Some other games may not get it too warm (I've heard that Valve's Source engine games run okay) and casual or 2D games should be fine.

EDIT: As for damage, check the BIOS to see if there is a setting for forcibly shutting down if the CPU hits a certain temperature. This level may still be uncomfortable or hot to the touch, so be careful if it ever does overheat too much.

I have actually noticed this too. I was playing Hearthstone for a while on the tablet, which was totally rad, but there were a few times I was nervous I was heating the thing up too much. I eventually took it out of the case when I would play to make sure I was giving it enough circulation, and I really didn't ever play longer than an hour.

Yeah, the atom chip heats up. What's nice is since it's something you hold on to, you can keep tabs on the heat pretty easy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99