Gaming on the Venue 8 Pro

mstrblueskys

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey! So I picked up the 64GB version and I'm already in love. I grabbed a class 10 32GB micro SD card and decided the most logical thing to do would be to install Dragon Age Origins, Ultimate Edition. Has anyone else tried gaming on the Venue 8 Pro?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually curious how games like Starcraft II and other relatively fancy games handle themselves on the DV8P

mstrblueskys

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
To me, gaming on it isnt very fun because of the form factor, esp. non-touch games.

My first attempted install didn't work, so I'm redownloading and trying again. Hopefully it works this time!

I also have a powered usb otg cable in the mail today to allow me to use a keyboard and mouse. If that works well, I'll invest in a bluetooth set so I don't have to worry about the cable.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
My DVP should arrive today and I the 64GB with a couple of additional 64GB MicroSD's to toss in. I actually planned to install a few PC games on it just to see how they hold up and if they are at all playable. Storage is limited so games that are more than 20GB aren't really going to make the cut. A few of the games I planned to install of the top of my head were Fifa '14, Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition, Rayman Legends, Limbo, Guacamalee, Bastion, Dishonored, Flatout Ultimate Carnage and maybe a few more. These were totalling about 30GB all together. I don't expect all of these to work or run well but it's a trial run. I have another 30 PC games on my PC to test out down the road but I tried to avoid the more demanding FPS type games.

I also bought a micro USB to USB adapter which will allow me to use my Xbox Wireless adapter. Then I can game with my old 360 wireless controllers or even go multiplayer for Fifa and MK. I obviously expect if anything actually runs I'll need to tone down pretty much all settings to low. I didn't buy this a gaming device but more just curious to see what this thing can handle. And if a few real PC games work on it and work well then that's considered a bonus for me.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Update:

Adjusted the Intel settings to run at max performance. Might get a small performance bump out it at the expense of battery life. Which I think is already apparent. Installed Limbo and Bastion. Both run perfectly fine. Installed Gears of War but failed to launch, gave a warning the system didn't meet minimum hardware requirements. Tried installing Dishonored, but it crashed with a fatal error and reported missing a bunch of files.. Odd. Flatout runs but at full res on low settings it's still pretty choppy. Might run better in a lower res. Rayman Legends works, looks beautiful but ran laggy on full res. Reducing the res improved performance but rather than stretching the picture across the screen it played it in a smaller screen with a big black box around it. Then trying to quit it froze my tablet and caused a blue screen on reboot. Have to wait for a system repair it's doing now..

Last edited:

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Just played a little Diablo 2 on the Venue 8 Pro. Seemed to work just fine. FPS wasn't great but that's because I installed it on a slower than snails micro sd card.

DaltonCarl

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Hearthstone can just barley run on venue 8. Ghost recon AW2 doesn't run well. LoL will not not run at all (tried all workarounds). Steam version of pinball fx2 was a little laggy. And I tried few other random games. Its not meant for really any game playing that's not 2D/text.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I will be on the road for almost 2 weeks coming up relatively soon. It will probably be a good time for me to try out installing a few other Steam games.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss