have you come across these issues?

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, recently got the vp8 from amazon. Love the size, screen, etc. A few issues concern me.

1. The device gets pretty warm after simple web browsing. Stream a video and it gets really warm. If held in portrait mode, mostly near the bottom right side and running up to the top. Have you experienced this as well and does it concern you?
2. Even when I have not shut down the device, when I pick it up to turn it on, the dell logo appears, as if was shut down. It doesn't take long to boot up, but I'm wondering why it does this? Some kind of stability issue? Don't think its any battery saving thing as I have over 20% left...
3. At times IE does not respond to gestures, such as swiping right to go back a page. But that's probably more of a IE issue than anything else.

Have you come across these issues? Aside from these issues, I really love the device. The extra sensitivity of the screen is annoying but I'm dealing with it.

Last edited:

Patric.Z

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Mine got warm, but not too bad, much cooler than Surface 2 and Lumia 920. I think it's slightly better than Surface 1. I have seen the rebooting issue, but it has not happened in the last week. The latest windows, Dell firmware and Bois updates probably fixed it. I haven't experience unresponded gestures in IE, but occasionally, it doesn't reconize the gesture to close desktop. Also, turn off the auto brightness will help.

Asrialys

May 22, 2013
Visit site
2. Even when I have not shut down the device, when I pick it up to turn it on, the dell logo appears, as if was shut down. It doesn't take long to boot up, but I'm wondering why it does this? Some kind of stability issue? Don't think its any battery saving thing as I have over 20% left...
Check out the My Dell program, go to Check Up, and look at System History. You'll notice that the device is experiencing Unexpected Shutdowns. I don't know what's causing it, but it is happening to me. I hadn't experienced it for a while until last night, when it happened three times after I left it alone before each time. I did notice that my battery was below 40% when it started happening again. And it seems the shutdown occurs right when the device goes on standby.

Maybe it has something to do with a low battery? I've left the tablet alone almost all day when it had a lot of battery left and it didn't shutdown. Maybe I'll do some testing later this evening...

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Oh wow, thanks for that info. Let us know if you find anything, perhaps that can address that with some updates.

Asrialys

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Well, it may not have anything to do with battery level after all. While the two shutdowns I had today were when the battery was below 40%, it probably should have been more since I left it that low for a few hours to see how often my tablet would shut down.

Now, looking over the System History, all my shutdowns occurred after two Application Errors. Maybe it has something to do with SettingSyncHost.exe?

Hm, I'll turn of setting sync and see if it shuts down again. Although, my laptop (which went from 7 > 8 > 8.1) doesn't experience such things...

Asrialys

May 22, 2013
Visit site
BIOS A04 update mentions this, "Upgrade embedded controller firmware version for system will shut down when wake up from connected standby on low battery level."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans