Storage space

armelwani

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I bought the 32GB DV8P at Walmart when it was on sale. I had about 12GB free out of the box. After a few apps, Office 2013, etc. I'm down to about 8GB free. I bought a 32GB SD card on sale during Cyber Monday and will store all my docs, pics, etc. on there. Leaves me the internal space for more apps.

jdandison

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
The 64gb had ~42gb free straight from Dell. I moved the recovery partition to USB and flattened/reinstalled Windows with 8.1 Enterprise x86. I've got Office 2013 and a few dozen apps installed (some large ones, like NextIssue and a couple games) and it's at 44.3gb free right now.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So after using mine for a few days and installing a few more apps and whatnot I'm down to around 5.2GB of space on my C: drive. I have not yet done the trick to get Metro apps to install on the SD card, seems like a pain to me. I can move the recovery partition to a USB stick and get back around 4.5GB of space. I also can't seem to get Skydrive to use the SD card either, I always get an error saying it can't be indexed...

I'm contemplating exchanging the 32GB model for a 64GB model instead just to get the extra space.

Last edited:

booyasaka

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
So after using mine for a few days and installing a few more apps and whatnot I'm down to around 5.2GB of space on my C: drive. I have not yet done the trick to get Metro apps to install on the SD card, seems like a pain to me. I can move the recovery partition to a USB stick and get back around 4.5GB of space. I also can't seem to get Skydrive to use the SD card either, I always get an error saying it can't be indexed...

I'm contemplating exchanging the 32GB model for a 64GB model instead just to get the extra space.

To get SkyDrive to use the SD card, you first have to format the SD card to NFTS. Then right click on SkyDrive , properties , Target tab, then move to your SD card.

I tried moving metro apps to my SD card as well but no luck, I kept getting errors whenever I reinstalled it from the Store app

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah for some reason it required a reboot after I formatted the SD card.

I was going to move the recovery partition to an external USB but I've seen a few reports of the restore on this device failing if you use one, and I don't have a copy of Windows 8.1 other than what came on the device.

mutant 9

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Picked one up from MS yesterday. Restored from my surface pro and had only 2.8 GB left. Deleted a few games and have 5GB. This is with no media. Have not had an issue on my surface rt with the same apps... Kind of tough but I will make it work. It would be nice is MS allowed apps to install on the SD card instead of having to do a technical work around...

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
That workaround also doesn't work, not sure if it's a Windows 8.1 thing or something specific with this tablet.

It works for installing new apps once you use the "wsreset" command to clear the cache, but apps in the old location will no longer update and if you happen to uninstall one of the old apps they won't reinstall...

They definitely need to have the option to install apps to a SD drive.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
From what I have read so far, 8.1 broke the functionality. Even after changing the registry settings one won't be able to install apps on SD (personally tried)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster