Possible Issue with Updating

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Just ran BIOS 4 update and it breaks the wifi. Everything was running perfect (except for the Windows Secure Boot Watermark) before the update, now I've got a problem with the wifi driver that Windows can't resolve.

I'm going to have to try and roll back the update as far as I can tell as there's no other way to get it fixed that I can see.

Just FYI

Last edited:

Asrialys

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: Don't Update BIOS to Version 4!!

No, it seems the recent Windows Updates broke Wi-Fi. Fortunately, I turned off automatic install and didn't install any of them when I read about it yesterday.

BIOS A04 works fine as far as I know. Nothing seems different (unfortunately when it comes to touch sensitivity). Going to test for unexpected shutdowns when my battery falls below 40%.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

No, it seems the recent Windows Updates broke Wi-Fi. Fortunately, I turned off automatic install and didn't install any of them when I read about it yesterday.

BIOS A04 works fine as far as I know. Nothing seems different (unfortunately when it comes to touch sensitivity). Going to test for unexpected shutdowns when my battery falls below 40%.

Yeah, I thought it was just me, but there are issues with WiFi on my Surface Pro 2. I installed some updates a week ago and I had issues, but installed an update last night, but didn't see if it fixed it.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

I updated my BIOS this morning and prior to the update, everything was working swimmingly. That doesn't make sense if it was Windows Update that did it yet it didn't show up until I updated the BIOS. I also now have to hold down power and volume down to even get the darn thing to turn on. So pissed...

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

I am not seeing any issues with the update, touch has improved though, may be its too early to speak. I will do some more tests and post back.

Asrialys

May 22, 2013
Visit site

I updated my BIOS this morning and prior to the update, everything was working swimmingly. That doesn't make sense if it was Windows Update that did it yet it didn't show up until I updated the BIOS. I also now have to hold down power and volume down to even get the darn thing to turn on. So pissed...
Try uninstalling the updates mentioned in this thread.

I am not seeing any issues with the update, touch has improved though, may be its too early to speak. I will do some more tests and post back.
What about touch has improved? Keyboard presses don't seem to put multiple letters...

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

Well I went ahead and just reinstalled windows as the whole think was acting strange. Now, I'm back to square one and afraid to install any BIOS updates LOL.

Edited thread title to stop any panic. Sorry bout that.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

Well I went ahead and just reinstalled windows as the whole think was acting strange. Now, I'm back to square one and afraid to install any BIOS updates LOL.

Edited thread title to stop any panic. Sorry bout that.

Your BIOS updates are still there. They are at a hardware level, not software. The Windows updates will not be there though.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

BIOS A04 and all windows updates installed here and everything is working. Had some issues with Wifi right after the update but ran through the "fix problems' in IE a few times and restarted once or twice and everything has been working well today. It could be a sleep issue though as my tablet has not gone to sleep today.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

Your BIOS updates are still there. They are at a hardware level, not software. The Windows updates will not be there though.

Yeah, that's what I figured. At least I can now confirm BIOS 4 works good. :D

Windows update can KMA and I've turned off automatic updates.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
There is a specific update KB2903939 which breaks WiFi. People have been been able to install it, see that it breaks WiFi, and then uninstall it and everything works again... I updated but skipped that update.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I thought it was just me, but there are issues with WiFi on my Surface Pro 2. I installed some updates a week ago and I had issues, but installed an update last night, but didn't see if it fixed it.

Unless the Dell Venue 8 Pro uses the same wifi adapter as Surface Pro 2, it is rather silly to equate the now known issues with Microsoft's firmware update for Surface Pro 2 with the general Windows 8.1 OS updates on the Dell. BTW, no it does not use the same adapter. Dell uses a customized Dell branded component. Given Dell's penchant for new product bugs, quality control problems, and poorly implemented updates, I would think if this is no just a bad update (it happens) this would sit at Dell's feet.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Just ran BIOS 4 update and it breaks the wifi. Everything was running perfect (except for the Windows Secure Boot Watermark) before the update, now I've got a problem with the wifi driver that Windows can't resolve.

I'm going to have to try and roll back the update as far as I can tell as there's no other way to get it fixed that I can see.

Just FYI

On another board there was a Dell guy providing good information. Apparently MS pulled KB2883200 which is a prerequisite for the other 2 updates KB2887595 and KB2903939. I was wondering why everybody wasn't having the issue. I have been fine. Looking in my updates history it shows the first one installed on Dec 3 which is the day I got the tablet.

From Dell "As long as you have KB2883200 already installed, KB2887595 and KB2903939 are fine. No problem to install BIOS A04."

Hope this helps. Maybe it is available on the MS download site.

Edit: Installed A04 without issue. All seems to be fine. WiFi connected right away.

Last edited:

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I didn't know of the problem and the DVP automatically ran the update yesterday.(12/12/13) . It broke the wi-fi so I restored back to before the update. It is fine now. In the past with other tablets, I would have problems with the digitizer after updates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos