Don't Update Dell Drivers!!!

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Loved this thing out of the box and worked perfectly.

Stupid me for updating the drivers from Dell's webpage via My Dell.

New 04 bios immediately gave me lost WiFi connections and the worst was the "urgent" touchscreen update that gave me consistent black screen on reboot in landscape after login.

Back to out of the box with just Windows updates and back to a great experience.

Come on Dell!

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Is that using the stylus?
Mine is on order but these other "installed" issues were maddening.
I don't have any double tap issues with using my fingers.

UWbadgers16

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Try tapping very lightly with the outside of your finger. If it still works, what versions are you on currently with those drivers? And how did you revert the touch screen driver?

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I have had no problems with these updates. There were two Microsoft updates that screwed up the wifi, and its an easy fix. Do a quick google search and you can find the names, just need to uninstall them, then hide them in the Microsoft update window.

TheArcaneFlame

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
No problems with the updates here either. The latest touchscreen firmware update has made a huge difference (positive) for me in using the Stylus. It's actually useable now! Though there is still work to be done on it to further improve/refine it.

Anyone reading this thread should take the initial post with a grain of salt.

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't necessarily take it with a grain of salt. There are numerous posts on the black screen issue and it took me 4 total reinstalls to narrow that down to the touchscreen update.
If you don't restart often and the pen input is more important than the induced quirk then no worries.

I can't say how impacted I will be without it until my pen arrives.

I would like to know if everyone who has the touchscreen update can restart and login in landscape mode without losing the screen as it boots to the tiles. Doesn't happen all the time but the majority and enough to be very frustrating.

For the bios update I am considering reinstalling it again but as the old saying goes ..... if it ain't broke....

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Loved this thing out of the box and worked perfectly.

Stupid me for updating the drivers from Dell's webpage via My Dell.

New 04 bios immediately gave me lost WiFi connections and the worst was the "urgent" touchscreen update that gave me consistent black screen on reboot in landscape after login.

Back to out of the box with just Windows updates and back to a great experience.

Come on Dell!

I see the black screen thing after reboot/login as well. However using the power button to suspend/resume the tablet seems to sort it for me. A nuisance for sure though. I did find that the A04 bios did improve the sensitivity where I am not seeing so many random double clicks.

EDIT - It appears there is a patch today to address the black screen issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2917993

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte