Connect WP to DV8P

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Is there a way to connect my Windows Phone to my DV8P to sync music and pictures? I have found a few Micro USB to USB adapters on Amazon. Will that allow me to connect them?

I just got my DV8P yesterday so I am still learning what this thing can do.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Do you have an SD card? That would probably be the most efficient way to do it. I suppose if you have a micro to micro USB, that could work too.

Although, in theory, everything you have should be backed up in SkyDrive and Xbox music so you wouldn't necessarily need it.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
You need a USB OTG adapter/cable. Typically, it is one end MicroUSB, the other end normal USB socket. Then you connect your phone via USB cable to that.

Yes, Amazon has a lot of different USB OTG cable/adapters.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
get an OTG cable and you will be set for practically any USB peripheral under the sun since full Windows can talk to practically anything.

Small limitation I found is that it may not put out enough power for some hard drives, but I think it varies. I charged my 920 from my Venue 8

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Bluetooth works as well, although slow.

The trick is to get the DV8p to allow the receiving of files. if you go to Desktop after turning on Bluetooth, the status tray (lower right) has a Bluetooth icon, click on that and select the receive or send option and then send it from your phone after pairing. Works pretty well, I use it to send my photos to the tablet while out and about for quick editing.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the information everybody keep it coming. Next question, where can I get an OTG cable? I know amazon has them but I don't use amazon when possible. I would prefer to walk into a store and get it today. RadioShack doesn't have it.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
they strangely aren't commonplace. (whyy?) I bought one from Micro Center (same time as with my 8), so maybe if there's a comparable computer everything uberstore in your area try that.
(not Wal-Mart or Best Buy)

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
they strangely aren't commonplace. (whyy?)

Because not very useful IMO. Most ppl don't even know what it is.

USB OTG is not supported in iPhone or Windows Phone. Even though Android supports it, not all Android phone can make use of it. HTC tends to remove USB OTG altogether. Google's Nexus is inconsistent. Some versions support it. Some don't. Only Samsung consistently supports USB OTG.
A PC does not require USB OTG cable until Dell decided to put a special microUSB port on it. My Surface RT has a regular USB port on it and you can plug any devices to it.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Because not very useful IMO. Most ppl don't even know what it is.

USB OTG is not supported in iPhone or Windows Phone. Even though Android supports it, not all Android phone can make use of it. HTC tends to remove USB OTG altogether. Google's Nexus is inconsistent. Some versions support it. Some don't. Only Samsung consistently supports USB OTG.
A PC does not require USB OTG cable until Dell decided to put a special microUSB port on it. My Surface RT has a regular USB port on it and you can plug any devices to it.

wait, if WP doesn't support USB OTG, then he can't use it to transfer files right? If that's the case, then he'll have to get an SD card or SkyDrive/Xbox.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Fry's has it in my area but its 20 miles away...:crying:

Before I drive 20 miles, has anybody actually connected their Windows Phone to the DV8P via OTG cable and used the Windows Phone app to sync their WP8 device?

Also will this work with portable printers? Will it work with a mouse? My mouse and printer are both Bluetooth compatible so I don't really need it I am just curious. I have to put the DV8P through its paces for my company we are trying to determine what all it will do and how well.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
wait, if WP doesn't support USB OTG, then he can't use it to transfer files right? If that's the case, then he'll have to get an SD card or SkyDrive/Xbox.

USB OTG support is to enable plug in USB peripheral devices. In this case, your WP is a USB peripheral device, not a host. It shows up as a media device (MTP protocol).

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Before I drive 20 miles, has anybody actually connected their Windows Phone to the DV8P via OTG cable and used the Windows Phone app to sync their WP8 device?

It will be the same as if you plug it into any of your PC today. Nothing special. There is no need for WP app at all. All you can do is sync music, photo and video.
Also will this work with portable printers? Will it work with a mouse? My mouse and printer are both Bluetooth compatible so I don't really need it I am just curious. I have to put the DV8P through its paces for my company we are trying to determine what all it will do and how well.

Anything you can do on a PC, you can do on the tablet. It is a tablet PC after all.

BadIntentVG

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Same here, I got a USB OTG and used the WP app to sync my music over to my Venue 8 Pro for the first time because there were so many songs not on Xbox Music. I rarely connect physically now, but it works perfectly.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Working as described/expected thanks for all the help. I picked up the cable/adapter at Fry's for $6. I am really liking my DV8P now. I liked having the USB on my Surface Pro now I have the same options with this device. The Surface Pro is just to big and bulky to be an effective tablet. The DV8P is the perfect portable companion to my laptop. Having a working USB is a must.

jay pugh1

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
You need a USB OTG adapter/cable. Typically, it is one end MicroUSB, the other end normal USB socket. Then you connect your phone via USB cable to that.

Yes, Amazon has a lot of different USB OTG cable/adapters.

I have a working usb otg cable that works with usb thumb drives on my DVP. When I connect to WP and the DVP it does not displaly the phone nokia 521.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a working usb otg cable that works with usb thumb drives on my DVP. When I connect to WP and the DVP it does not displaly the phone nokia 521.

You might need to go to device manager and remove any reference to Nokia or Windows phone.
Unplug the phone close device manager install the WP sync software from Microsoft then plug the 521 back in.

jay pugh1

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Ok I installed window phone software on DVP and then plugged in the 521 with the OTG and cable but no joy. Phone does show up on windows 7 laptop and windows 8 pc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99