[Issue] DV8P WiFi Woes

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Just an FYI.

I was having absolutely no problems with my WiFi but decided to update the drivers. (I know, if it's not broke, don't fix it)

As soon as I did this my signal strength went to about half and would continually connect and disconnect. I rolled the driver back and now I'm back at full signal and steady connection. I know this isn't your exact problem but just shows that just because a driver is updated doesn't mean it will work. Maybe going back to the original driver will help your issue.

My driver date is 8/30/2013. Version 3.7.2.34423

Asrialys

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Maybe once or twice so far, my Wi-Fi just stopped working without any apparent interference. However, other times it has happened, I had Bluetooth on. Wi-Fi went out when I was transferring files to my Windows Phone and when I was testing that Office Remote app.

R1_Rydah

Oct 23, 2004
Visit site
I've had the V8Pro about 2 months, and no WiFi problems here. After reading about updates causing random issues, I decided to run the V8Pro without any Microsoft or Dell updates other than defender, and its been working great for me...

joansin

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm having a hell of a time with the WiFi on this thing. It just quits working altogether and when I try to turn off the WiFi and turn it back on the switch won't turn it off. I then attempt to turn on airplane mode to toggle the connection and the WiFi switch moves to off and cannot be turned on. Other times the connection says it's limited. Either issue requires a full restart of the device in order to correct. We ordered these tablets for use on the factory floor but if this issue persists I can't see them being reliable enough. I really hope this works out because this tablet is amazing besides the WiFi issues....

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I have no issues with WiFi on mine at all. I have all the MS updates and all the Dell updates except for the Dell Security stuff. I think I was lucky and got the update that MS subsequently pulled which cause the issue with the other 2 MS updates.

Armada

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
So I'm bringing this thread back because I got so fed up with the WiFi continuing to go out that I did a re-install of Windows. I think I've actually worked out the cause of the issue. I decided not to touch the WiFi driver (which reset to stock with the re-install) and install the Windows updates and all seemed to be fine. Then I noticed as I turned the screen on it would flash white. So I researched that issue and found that the Intel chipset drivers would fix it. After installing those, the WiFi went out during sleep again. So I'm thinking the Intel drivers either mess something up, or the WiFi driver is referencing some power state the the drivers no longer expose. I'm still doing some testing without the chipset drivers. After I can safely say it is caused by that interaction I'll get on the horn with tech support (or someone) and see if I can get this passed along to the maintainer of the drivers for a fix.

Armada

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,
I'm in the same boat as everyone else, my dv8p did not want to reconnect to wireless networks when waking up.
I wrote a little workaround to reset the network adapter on "connected standby" event and posted it on GitHub. This has been tested on a few dv8p's already. Give it a shot.

https://github.com/vstarostenko/dv8p_wifi_issue_fix

I saw this a few days back. Since my wifi continued to crap out even with the deault driver and no chipset updates I guess I'll update them all and try this. I assume you tested this on an up to date system. I tested this on mine before updates and it failed to work (method #2, at least). I'm wondering if it'll work at all. You see, my problem is that once it does you can't even jigger the adapter, because it isn't seen. It requires a full shut down and reboot to restore WiFi. Maybe it needs a different power state trigger for me. I'm positive this is Dell missing a proper response to the power states in the driver and that it can be fixed if we can actually get the issue to be recreated.

mpfl

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm having similar issues with my DV8P. Various permutations of Windows Updates and drivers haven't done the trick. I bought it to use at work, so I can't fiddle around with access points to see if it's the settings here.

I've gotten to the point where I just want to return it for a refund.

It's a real shame. I was quite excited to have found an 8" tablet that runs full Windows. Maybe I'll go with one of the Lenovo tablets instead.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Curious. I have all Windows and Dell updates installed as far as I can see and have zero connectivity issues. My tablet sleeps almost constantly and rarely gets a reboot unless required by something like a software installation/update. Definitely going to keep my eye on this thread just in case, though.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah.... My DVP8 and my girl's DVP11 had this issue... A couple updates would kill the adapter. uninstalling them constantly lil you had to do worked temporarily...

I believe I did update the the drivers from dell and then turn off automatic updates... I will reply back later as I am still in the bed...

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
This wifi issue, is it related to limited connectivity on known wifi networks? Mostly all the time i just turn the wifi on and off as a temporary solution, as long as i do not let the tablet sleep then it is okay. I have watched the video on this thread, but have not done the windows update uninstall yet, as I am not sure if this could solve it permanently.

jeffshead

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
It's called a Microsoft Surface Pro.

LOL, sorry, I know that doesn't help. But seriously, it seemed to me that the Surface is better developed. My gen 1 Pro runs rings around the DV8P.

I have the exact opposite experiences. My DV8P does not have any connectivity issues and it's plenty fast but my Surface Pro 2 goes to "Limited connectivity" all of the time. I've tried all of the "fixes" I've found on the web but nothing has solved the issue. Microsoft's answer is to reset the unit and then send it in for repair if the rest does not fix the issue. No thank you! None of the techs I've encountered over the past few years knows how to troubleshoot. They always jump the gun and want you to do a factory reset. By the way, I did not experience this problem until I updated to Windows 8.1. and the mouse on the Surface Type 2 keyboard lacks functionality and it is very inaccurate. I'd be a happy camper with the Surface if they would fix those two issues but that won't happen since version 3 is already out. I still use the DV8P more often because it's just the right size and it's lighter than the Surface. Actually, it's like comparing apples to oranges in my opinion. Two different breeds.

jeffshead

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Have any of you tried changing the power management settings for Bluetooth, Wi-Fi adapter and USB? Try unchecking "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for each of those mentioned devices in the Device Manger. That solved a couple of different issues I was encountering. So far, no connectivity issues with my DV8P and it has all of the latest updates from Dell and Microsoft.

I was having a heck of a time with "Limited connectivity" issues with my Surface Pro 2 but since switching to a different WAP (Ubiquity, love it!), the problem has not returned, so far. No device other than the Surface had an issue with the original WAP. I changed WAP's because I thought it odd that the problem was so wide spread but some users have never encountered the issue while others have had success with updated drivers and reverting to older drivers. It seems both the DV8P and the Surface suffer from similar Wi-Fi issues. I never bothered to see if they share the same chipsets but they do have Windows 8.1 in common. I had zero connectivity issues with the Surface until I updated from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. I tried ALL of the "fixes" I found on the Internet but none solved the problem for the Surface. Changing the WAP seems to have done the trick. No limited connectivity issues for over a week. Just thought I'd throw my Surface issue out there for others that may come to this thread seeking a solution to similar problems with their DV8P.

Last edited:

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Just the other day, the wifi on the venue pro did produce the very issue related to this post; so i went ahead and followed the video instructions. And indeed it worked out well.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre