Charging Port Issue

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Yesterday, I found my DV8P not wanting to charge with the included charger. I tried another and realized that the charger was not going in to the port completely. I took the cable back out and shined a flashlight down in the port and saw a 'fleck' of gold at the bottom of the connector. I had a bad feeling that one of the pins bent off of the port, but after I removed the fleck with a straight pin, it began to charge again when connected.

Anyone else have any major issues with the charging port so far and do you think I should fire this one in to Dell and have it replaced ASAP? It could have just been a part of a charging cable, or my USB OTG cable, but I'm a bit worried that it might be the port that is starting to kick the bucket!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've not seen that issue, but I would still be worried it is part of a snapped off pin. Depending on the pin it would still charge, but you may not have OTG or data xfer. I'd warranty it if you still can.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I seem to remember the refurbs not having as long of warranty, but the Dell app says I am good until April... I might just ride this one out... Just probably not too long.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Dell used an odd micro USB port on this device. I think it is due to the USB OTG specifications. You have to be SUPER CAREFUL when inserting the cable as the standard micro USB will somewhat fit upside down. My first one went back because of this issue.

ToddKlindt

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I have two DV8 Pros, a 64 and a 32. I noticed that the chargers were oriented opposite.
WP_20140820_09_11_23_Pro_jpg.jpg
The 32 is on top. After a few months the 32 quit charging. From anything. I got it fixed under warranty. They replaced the motherboard. When I got it back I noticed the motherboard was oriented the other direction. They must have changed the design at some point.

tk

Wm DeRosier

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I had same thing happen to my 64 GB. Sent in and motherboard replaced . Now I mark the charger and otg with white dot to make sure I plug in correctly.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
It kicked the bucket yesterday... Fortunately with a full charge so I can get a backup and everything before it croaks. After a few hoops, Dell is sending a box to have the charging port replaced.

The bad part is, I don't think I've ever plugged something in backwards - at least not that I can remember.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
My DVP came back middle of last week (Thursday if I remember correctly) so beyond speedy recovery time here! The new port is much tighter than the old one. I couldn't be happier with the service that Dell and especially @DellCares on Twitter gave me on this one. After a rough start, everything went smooth as silk.

Needless to say, I am once again very satisfied with my DVP and pushed extra hard to get my bosses to buy the new PC for work from them - and they did.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers