HP7 Stream arrived today!

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Got home today and i see a box that says "caution, lithium ion" all over it.
Honestly, had no clue what it was.

Opened it up, it was my new hp stream 7.

I didn't get any tracking email or anything and my order said it would arrive around the 11th of november.

Entered all my info and it automatically setup exactly like my lenovo yoga laptop. Wallpaper and everything.

So far all i did was setup office on it, which says it allows one office on a computer one on a tablet. Does not give you a keycode, it auto extended my current office (which expired)

Seems like the perfect size for the couch browsing. I'd also say for a table this small it feels kinda heavy.

One thing i haven't figured out yet is how to get the keyboard to automatically pop up when you put the cursor in a text box, anyone know how on 8.1?

As of right now it's updating, quite a few to go.

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
So after updating and messing around with the tablet so far i like it.

I found that if you use the IE from the new start screen (not desktop, not sure the difference), the keyboard does pop up when you work in a text box. I was using aurora and it didn't work before.

Another thing, not sure if it's related to the tablet or what. When using the preinstalled video player to play my xbox movies i own or even watch a trailer, the volume is at a minimum of 50% lower, without headphones i have to put my ear to the speaker.
When watching a youtube video, volume is fine.

Anyone know what that is about?

FuzzyLogician

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
FYI the touch keyboard will only automatically pop up for metro apps in Windows 8. You have to manually open it for desktop use. Supposedly this was or will be fixed in Windows 10.

Does the tablet really feel that heavy?

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I ordered mine straight from hp, which was kinda a nightmare. Each order said it couldn't be completed, then it ordered me 4 of them.

I really didn't expect it for like another 2 weeks.

So far i enjoy it, well worth $100, in fact may be the best $100 value in tablets period.

Although i do feel like i need to tweak the power settings. I don't think i got anywhere near 8 hours of use today out of it.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Got mine yesterday (Saturday). I have to say that this could be the best $99 I've spent in a long time. Granted, it's not a premium tablet....it is surprisingly heavy, the plastic back is pretty slick, the speaker isn't terribly loud, and the smoothness of the glass is not as smooth as my 1520, but the fact that I can put a full PC/tablet in my back pocket is really pretty cool! Aside from a few negatives listed above, the Stream 7 is a very good tablet for the price. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
It's really not that bad. It's just heavy for its size. I have no problem holding it with one hand. I looked for a case, but couldn't find a link to buy one. I've seen a PDF document showing a flip cover type case, but don't know when it is going on sale.
I really like this tablet though. I've been using Word, I just finished putting together a Powerpoint using it. It's worked flawlessly since I got it. It feels like it has a high quality build to it... No bending or flex. Like I said, for $99, it's a great tablet.

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the weight thing isn't a big deal. It's not like it's heavy, i just think i expected lighter for a 7 inch tablet. Weight is one of those specs you get used to anyway.

This tablet basically let's you know that we are getting ripped off on pretty much all other electronics we have been buying.
If a company can build something that feels as good as this in your hand and works this well for $99, how the hell does most other devices cost $500+?

The virtual keyboard on this size unit is perfect for 2 handed thumb typing. Something that the original surface (which my wife uses) and other 10 inch 16:9 tablets are horrible at.
I've been holding out until the price dropped on the thinkpad 8, but when i saw $99, i figured what the hell, if i don't like it, it's only 99 bucks. As of right now i'm very glad i bought the stream 7.

I also didn't know windows 8.1 moved from device to device so well.
I've barely done a thing to set it up. It took a couple minutes to set itself up and copied bookmarks and settings from my lenovo yoga, even my wallpaper.

My only complaint as of right now is the volume on the MS video app. It's so low i'd say unusable anywhere but in a quiet home. Which is odd because anywhere on the web the volume is fine.

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
The one thing i will add, is that i don't think this would be the best tablet for a child.
It's still a computer, just in tablet form.
So unless your kid/kids are very tech savvy, i'd say they may be confused by it and or mess it up (like any windows computer can be) really bad.

Some other things i notice:
The desktop doesn't have much use, i kinda wish i could just turn it off (can it be done?).
And the metro UI has no battery gauge so you have to goto the desktop to see it. Pretty annoying.
I think that the start screen needs to have info on it like you see at the top of your cell phone at all times.

scottwallace5

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I got mine on Saturday as well and so far like others have said, you truly can't go wrong on this tablet costing $100. A great portable media consumption device that plays and handles light games well, as well as streaming HD video too. I watched NBA through League Pass on this and it worked quite well. The only two issues I have with it, is that there's a louder than normal sound when the earphones are plugged in which can be gone once you turn up the volume. And taking off the back is probably the hardest thing ever, I want to see if a 64GB microSD card will work on it. (Since all the specs say up to 32GB, but it's super tight to the back. Definitely not easy to take apart, which I guess is good since it's durability feels quite good.

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh, that back cover, lol.
I'd love to know wtf they were thinking when they designed that thing.
Hope they have a supply of back ups, can't see it put up with being removed all too often.

scottwallace5

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Yah seriously and I still can't do it since I don't want to break it or anything like that...how'd you get yours off? And yes, I really hope they do have spares because oh boy...this is such a pain. If only they had the microSD slot along the side that would be MUCH better!

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Found something else kinda silly, speaker comes from Windows button side, so in landscape when you hold it, you muffle the sound.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I would think that a heavy use would go through the battery pretty quickly. But to give you an idea.... I'm a teacher, so I charge mine overnight, power it up around 5 am, use it throughout the day to send and receive emails, check the news and read a little during my lunch, and watch an hour or so of Netflix when I get home. I'm looking at it right now at 5:46 pm, and I have 27% of my battery left.
That's just an average day of casual use for me. Hope that helps.

os1019

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Very informative thread. Have any of you posted an online review of the stream? How is the display? Does it hold up outside or under bright lights?

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I'd say the battery life is similar to that of my 920.
You do certain things and it feels like it's lasting forever, others like playing games burns up power pretty quickly.

I played a full level of the game chronology (which I really like), killed 20% the battery very fast. I would have played more but after the free level you have to pay $2.99 for the next one. I'd pay that for the whole game, but not per level which only takes about 20 minutes.

I really hope MS wakes up and puts a battery meter on the screen, it's kinda hard to track since you have to go back to the desktop to see it.

os1019, I haven't had the tablet out of the house, and I probably never will, but next time it's sunny i'll try it outside on the deck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos