HP7 Stream arrived today!

Celandine

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I've heard about the forthcoming unlimited storage through OneDrive. I have an account with them already with 30gb. Does anyone know if this unlimited storage is for new accounts only with Office 365 or could I sign in with an existing account once Office is acctivated on the Stream 7?

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Huh, that's strange. Educational discounts WERE available at the Microsoft Store online when I looked previously, but I just looked again and now they aren't offering that discount.
Could be that HP has a hit on its hands! Maybe the demand is high enough that they feel they don't have to discount it from its already very low price.

I think the HP Stream 11 laptop is going to be a big hit for them this holiday season too. I'm seeing it all over the Black Friday ads.

Office Depot / Office Max (now one company) will have the Stream 7 on sale for $79 on Black Friday. Not sure whether it is only in-store or if you can get it for that price online that day too.

NeoGohan

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I really want to get 2 of em for my parents but waiting to see if Windows Central is going to review it. Though for $100, I feel like you can't really go wrong.

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It's a pretty damn solid device for $100. The 1GB RAM really isn't a limiting factor. It's quick, fluid, and definitely gets the job done. If you already own a Surface Pro or any other Windows device, this thing is pretty much the perfect companion. I just installed one in my truck as a car PC, and it works great.

RobotX

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I got my OTG USB cable today. It works like a charm on Stream 7.
The first thing I tried is to connect my X-Rite i1Display Pro.
Works the same as if plugging device to regular USB.

Ok here's the stuff that'll bring the boys to the yard.
I calibrate the Stream 7 screen and here are the profile for people to use:
1drv.ms/1zINllF add http, I can't post link, This is one drive link)

Stream7_d55_sRGB_native = D55 white point, sRGB gamma (will make your screen yellow)
Stream7_d65_2.2_native = D65 white point, 2.2 gamma (slightly deeper dark gamma)
Stream7_d65_sRGB_native = D65 white point, sRGB gamma (USE THIS, this is Standards for a lot of things)
Stream7_d75_sRGB_native = D75 white point, sRGB gamma (will make you screen bluish white)
*native = native brightness and contrast ratio (calibrated at 50% brightness w/ White LED backlight settings)
Copy the profile(s) you want to C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color

To use it:
1. Search "Color Management"
2. goto Advanced tab > Change system defaults...
3. Then goto advanced > [V] Use Windows display calibration.
4. Click close (the system defaults window).
5. Goto Devices tab, Click Add...
6. Add profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1 ( this is equivalent to no color management)
7. Add profile: Stream7_d65_sRGB_native (or whichever profile you prefer)
8. Click on the profile you want to use and click "Set as Default Profile"
9. toggle between that and sRGB IEC61966-2.1 to see before n after.
10. Then proceed to sing "My tablet is better than android/ios, damn right it's better than android/ios"

This profile fix 2 issues:
1. Gamma/Contrast issue in HP Stream default profile. (which makes highlight blown and shadow burnt).
2. Calibrate to proper white point and color accuracy.

To my surprise, Stream7 is very close to SP2 gamut coverage and in fact exceed the green gamut of SP2.
View attachment 88620
For obvious reason, SP2 wins in contrast ratio, gradation completeness, upper white and lower black range coverage.
But for non technical people and NORMAL photo viewing. I'm super impressed by the result of the calibration.

Photos viewed in Stream7 is VERY VERY close to Photo viewed in SP2 (Surface Pro 2).
So there you have it. For people that are skeptical about Stream 7 screen, the answer is DON'T.
Enjoy.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Looks like amazon blew up with stream 7 cases!

I wondered about getting that one. I ordered one last week that apparently won't be in stock until November 28 (should've read the fine print), but I really want one sooner. I know myself well enough to know I better not take it out and about until it is in a case. It's so hard to wait!

I got a keyboard for mine that came in 1 day. I love it! It isn't too big and it will fit in my 10" bag I have. It paired very easily with the Stream and is rechargeable and easy to type on. Now if I just had my case so I could prop up the tablet...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2870285

rkin92

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Huh, that's strange. Educational discounts WERE available at the Microsoft Store online when I looked previously, but I just looked again and now they aren't offering that discount.
Could be that HP has a hit on its hands! Maybe the demand is high enough that they feel they don't have to discount it from its already very low price.

I think the HP Stream 11 laptop is going to be a big hit for them this holiday season too. I'm seeing it all over the Black Friday ads.

Office Depot / Office Max (now one company) will have the Stream 7 on sale for $79 on Black Friday. Not sure whether it is only in-store or if you can get it for that price online that day too.

In case anyone wandering, educational discounts are not available on these. Also just to point out to OP, the battery status works anywhere if you swipe from the right edge. It shows in lower left corner. Also the Chrome implemented touch to start keyboard on the desktop side of OS. Strange nobody else did.

10% discount at the microsoft store. I got mine for less though due to a 25 off of 75 or more coupon! grand total was 81.

Does anyone have back light bleed? I have it on the bottom of mine, not too bad but still noticeable. not sure how or if I should swap it out...

also... what does everyone get for their battery life? I am kinda afraid to unplug it, I havent heard much about the battery

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
also... what does everyone get for their battery life? I am kinda afraid to unplug it, I havent heard much about the battery

Battery life is my one complaint. It's AWFUL on mine. Yesterday I spent about thirty minutes browsing the net, nothing resource intensive, and I dropped 10%. I turned off WiFi and clicked off the screen, but left it on. It dropped from 90% to 17% in about 12 hours with no use at all. I'm going to look around and see if I can change any more power options. I wonder if there is a way to see which apps are using the battery.

os1019

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Battery life is my one complaint. It's AWFUL on mine. Yesterday I spent about thirty minutes browsing the net, nothing resource intensive, and I dropped 10%. I turned off WiFi and clicked off the screen, but left it on. It dropped from 90% to 17% in about 12 hours with no use at all. I'm going to look around and see if I can change any more power options. I wonder if there is a way to see which apps are using the battery.

Where did you purchase your Stream 7? Also try running the battery and sleep monitoring test. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP2TTncmID0&feature=youtube_gdata_-_Video_Tube_for_YouTube_-_Android

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Where did you purchase your Stream 7? Also try running the battery and sleep monitoring test. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP2TTncmID0&feature=youtube_gdata_-_Video_Tube_for_YouTube_-_Android

Thanks for the video! I ordered mine from the Microsoft store. I ran the battery test and it showed the main culprits being everything related to the wireless adapter. I read up on what connected standby is, and I'm wondering if perhaps turning off the Wi-Fi is actually draining the battery because it's trying to update everything and can't. I was going to check that, but I already tried another solution, so if that doesn't work I'll try keeping Wi-Fi on, or airplane mode, which I've read helps. What I did was just turn connected standby off. I read that it makes it wake up differently since it's not staying connected, but things look the same, so I'll see in the morning. Otherwise I'll try airplane mode.

os1019

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the video! I ordered mine from the Microsoft store. I ran the battery test and it showed the main culprits being everything related to the wireless adapter. I read up on what connected standby is, and I'm wondering if perhaps turning off the Wi-Fi is actually draining the battery because it's trying to update everything and can't. I was going to check that, but I already tried another solution, so if that doesn't work I'll try keeping Wi-Fi on, or airplane mode, which I've read helps. What I did was just turn connected standby off. I read that it makes it wake up differently since it's not staying connected, but things look the same, so I'll see in the morning. Otherwise I'll try airplane mode.

Hopefully you will find a solution. Please keep us in the loop. Honestly I figured that battery life would be the achilles heel of this device based on how much Windows 8 taxes the battery of the Surface Pro 3. I am still contemplating on purchasing the Stream 7 or 8 either way the promise of this device is to much to pass over.

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
After about a month of use now, I still find some issues that are really annoying.
Battery isn't so great, i'll run that test above, damn thing lost like 65% during the day without me even home.

The other things still relate to the sound and volume. I use the tablet solely in landscape and I find that your hand always blocks the speaker.
So to avoid that, I put headphones in, well, the headphone jack is directly on the other side, guess what? Still in the damn way.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's worth $100, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out the locations on both were bad ideas. It's a tablet, not an E reader, so i'd guess most people don't use portrait mode.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully you will find a solution. Please keep us in the loop. Honestly I figured that battery life would be the achilles heel of this device based on how much Windows 8 taxes the battery of the Surface Pro 3. I am still contemplating on purchasing the Stream 7 or 8 either way the promise of this device is to much to pass over.

Okay, turning off connected standby is pointless because every time you hit the lock button, it shuts off the tablet, supposedly with hibernate. I might as well shut it off there.
However, I tried using airplane mode instead of turning off WiFi. My test was not scientific, since I also turned off PC syncing, email syncing, and signed out of Skype, but I only lost 4% battery across 9 hours. I may turn on my email syncing again and see how airplane mode does then, just to see whether it's airplane mode that helps or no syncing, but really, I don't need my tablet, my laptop, and my phone all checking email, and I'm betting that will help regular usage as well.

os1019

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
After about a month of use now, I still find some issues that are really annoying.
Battery isn't so great, i'll run that test above, damn thing lost like 65% during the day without me even home.

The other things still relate to the sound and volume. I use the tablet solely in landscape and I find that your hand always blocks the speaker.
So to avoid that, I put headphones in, well, the headphone jack is directly on the other side, guess what? Still in the damn way.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's worth $100, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out the locations on both were bad ideas. It's a tablet, not an E reader, so i'd guess most people don't use portrait mode.

Thanks for the information. With the Stream 7 having only one speaker it really limits the capability of sound quality. Which is ironic coming from HP.

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Just picked up two of these for my twin sons... Man do they love them.. I'm really surprised with he build quality of such a cheap tablet. I'll tell you this, this blows every Android tablet out the water in this price bracket...no competition. It's sturdy, feels well built..it has a solid feel. Screen is bright and crisp.. I'm m pretty sure the specs have been talked to death on this thread so I wont get into that much.. Still breaking it in as I've only got these bout an hour ago.. Will report back on battery life later.
Sent from my Samsung ATIV S using Tapatalk.

RobotX

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,
I don't seem to have battery problem you guys describing. I can use the tablet continuously for 5 hours straight, watching videos, browsing and it still have 10% left.
Connected standby works like a charm, last me a working day 9 hours playing music in connected standby.
The only problem I've noticed with battery before is when I installed Google Chrome and it ran on the background.
That REALLY burns the battery, especially if you got lots of extension. (just don't allow it to run in the background and use IE to browse :p).

I do have 2 other problems though with my Stream 7.
1. There's micro dust inside the screen, I don't know how it got in, it's on the OPPOSITE side of the micro SD slot which is weird.
I thought the dust comes from the Micro SD slot, but since it's on the opposite, I have no idea where it got it, maybe from the speaker slot.
(I might actually exchange my Stream 7 because of this XD)

2. The Micro SD slot, although it can read/write SDXC 64GB, there seems to be running a slow controller.
So far the MicroSD slot can only read up to 21MB/sec (tested using a single 2GB file transfer).
I've tested with 3 Micro SDs (Lexar 300x 23GB SDHC I, SanDisk SDXC Ultra 64GB and Sandisk SDXC Ultra 64GB Plus).
All those card reads above 40MB/sec on Surface2Pro, but limited to 20MB/sec in Steam7.
Writing speed don't seem to suffer the same problem. Those cards above write around 10MB/sec and seems to be performing ok in the Stream7.
Not really a deal breaker, but just to let people know in case you guys are expecting higher read speed in Stream 7 by buying faster card, which is pretty much useless.

I'm curious if anybody got the same problem as me, please post here.
​Thanks in advance.

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,
I don't seem to have battery problem you guys describing. I can use the tablet continuously for 5 hours straight, watching videos, browsing and it still have 10% left.
Connected standby works like a charm, last me a working day 9 hours playing music in connected standby.
The only problem I've noticed with battery before is when I installed Google Chrome and it ran on the background.
That REALLY burns the battery, especially if you got lots of extension. (just don't allow it to run in the background and use IE to browse :p).

I do have 2 other problems though with my Stream 7.
1. There's micro dust inside the screen, I don't know how it got in, it's on the OPPOSITE side of the micro SD slot which is weird.
I thought the dust comes from the Micro SD slot, but since it's on the opposite, I have no idea where it got it, maybe from the speaker slot.
(I might actually exchange my Stream 7 because of this XD)

2. The Micro SD slot, although it can read/write SDXC 64GB, there seems to be running a slow controller.
So far the MicroSD slot can only read up to 21MB/sec (tested using a single 2GB file transfer).
I've tested with 3 Micro SDs (Lexar 300x 23GB SDHC I, SanDisk SDXC Ultra 64GB and Sandisk SDXC Ultra 64GB Plus).
All those card reads above 40MB/sec on Surface2Pro, but limited to 20MB/sec in Steam7.
Writing speed don't seem to suffer the same problem. Those cards above write around 10MB/sec and seems to be performing ok in the Stream7.
Not really a deal breaker, but just to let people know in case you guys are expecting higher read speed in Stream 7 by buying faster card, which is pretty much useless.

I'm curious if anybody got the same problem as me, please post here.
​Thanks in advance.

Google Chrome is a resource hog.. even on regular machines, chrome totally sucks alot of resources.. IE works great.. anyways, after using this tablet over the weekend I can say that the battery issues are not present for me.. the battery lasts.. my sons have been playing Hyde Thunder Hurricane all weekend straight.. they get a solid 5 hrs of gaming. And that game is pretty taxing for a modern app.. what I have noticed though, is overheating. When the tablet is under stress it heats up and is almost non-responsive.. well that was before my sons knew how to close apps in Windows 8.1. now that they got the hang of it, its all good.. gaming all day. Tablet holds up. I'd recommend it to anyone.

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I actually love the tablet, but I just got off the phone with HP for a replacement. I got mine from the Microsoft Store last Monday, and twice I got a pop-up message saying that Windows had to restart due to hard drive repair. Also, 2 other issues:

1. I get a very annoying hum when listening with headphones. It's loud enough to hear it not only when nothing is playing, but I can also hear it over any music or movie playing.
2. Wireless drops a lot. I'd be connected, then I'll try something in a Metro app, and it will tell me that I'm not connected. I'll stop/start wireless 3-4 times, then it works, even though the wireless icon says I am connected.

By the way, this tablet does have the light bleed from the bottom of the screen. It's not bad, but just enough to be annoying at times.

So hopefully the replacement will be better. I still like it...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb