HP Stream 8 - FREE 200MB/month 4G data $179 ($161 with education discount)

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
There isn't a forum for the HP Stream 8, but I thought I'd put this here anyway.
(Moderators--- perhaps call this forum HP Stream 7 & 8 since they are pretty similar)

The HP Stream 8 is now available from the Microsoft Store online (not sure if it is in the physical stores). Seems to be the first place that is selling it, as it is still listed as pre-order on Amazon. At $179 is almost double the price of the HP Stream 7, but it has some potential advantages over its little brother that might justify the extra cost:
* Larger screen, though same resolution
* Better cameras (5MP rear/2MP front)
* FREE 200MB/month of T-mobile 4G data for as long as you own it. ----that alone might make this the better choice. Of course 200MB isn't very much data, but hey, it's free. :) Presumably you can add more data later if you need more.

Downsides are that it is a little heavier (but actually thinner) and the battery life is shorter.
Like the Stream 7, it also comes with Office 365 Personal for 1 year.

Buy HP Stream 8 Signature Edition Tablet - Microsoft Store

Has anyone checked out the Stream 8 or compared the two side by side?

sherwin892

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I am seriously considering the 8 over the 7 due the larger screen size. I have been looking for comparison and reviews between the two as my MS store doesn't have the 8 and only the 7. Anyone know comprehensive review on both or either or?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
* FREE 200MB/month of T-mobile 4G data for as long as you own it. ----that alone might make this the better choice. Of course 200MB isn't very much data, but hey, it's free. :) Presumably you can add more data later if you need more.

The free data is available with pretty much any mobile device.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

FuzzyLogician

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I am seriously considering the 8 over the 7 due the larger screen size. I have been looking for comparison and reviews between the two as my MS store doesn't have the 8 and only the 7. Anyone know comprehensive review on both or either or?

I haven't seen any real reviews of the Stream 8 yet, but keep in mind that they have the same internals. The Stream 8 is, of course, bigger, has 200MB of free data per month and is slightly thinner but slightly heavier. According to HP's site, the Stream 7 will last up to 8 hours, while the Stream 8 will last up to 8 hours and 20 minutes. Personally I'd be surprised if that last part were true. Otherwise, reviews of the Stream 7 should generally reflect the performance and usability of the Stream 8.

sherwin892

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. The battery is 3000mAh vs 4000mAh so it may be able to deliver a slight better battery life. I wish my MS store had the 8 so that I can give a better comparison. They only have the 7 on display. Thank you for your input, will search on reviews of the 7 for the time being.

FuzzyLogician

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
The Stream 8 also only released a couple days ago, where as the Stream 7 released a couple weeks ago. Maybe it will take some time before they trickle down to the stores... or maybe MS doesn't anticipate it being as big of a hit as its $99 brethren so it's not worth stocking. Who knows!

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I went to my MS Store (Durham NC) last Saturday during their Early VIP Shopping event (25$ off 75$ or more! :) ) and compared the two and ended up buying a Stream 8. I figured that the free monthly 4G allocation, even if it only 200MB, plus the larger screen, made it a better value for me.

They actually didn't have any of the Stream 8s out on the floor, so I asked someone about it. They had a big stack of Stream 7s right in the front, and those were selling pretty well while I was there. The salespeople had clearly been trained on selling the Stream 7. They had other tablets out for display also, but oddly they didn't have a single Stream 8 anywhere on the floor. All of their Stream 8 stock was in their back storage/inventory area, and it sort of seemed like they hadn't been trained on how to sell them yet. For example, I had to point out to one of them that it has a GPS sensor, and he still didn't believe me! (Note, though, that there isn't a HERE Drive turn-by-turn navigation app in the Windows Store, only in the WP Store, which is a bummer. An 8-inch GPS? That would be cool! Only the HERE Maps app is in the Windows store.)

The main salesperson that I was talking with at the store was great (others, unfortunately, weren't quite as knowledgeable). He found an 8 in the back and took out of the box and started it up for me so I could compare the two. Weight-wise, they actually don't feel that different-- I think the weight is probably better distributed on the 8. I have a Kindle Fire 7 (with a case), and neither of the Streams (no case) felt that much heavier than the Fire. The screens on both are very nice-- I've gotten used to the Kindle Fire's IPS screen and the Stream's IPS screens seems pretty similar to that.

I had read that battery life on the 8 was actually slightly less than the 7, even though it has a bigger battery, probably because it has the bigger screen to light up. Hopefully the good folks here at WPCentral will do a full review of both sometime soon.

Unfortunately I have been prepping for a big presentation, though, and haven't even taken it out of the box yet! I've also been debating with myself whether I'd be better off with something like the Stream 11 or 13 "chromebook-style" (cringe!) laptops. I will probably hold off until I finish my presentation and then decide.

One hesitation I have is that one of the reasons I wanted the Stream 8 was to do some work in Office on it. Unfortunately, the experience in those applications isn't that great if you are using the on-screen keyboard. This is especially true in landscape mode, because the keyboard takes up half or more of the screen. With the keyboard taking the bottom half and the Office ribbon taking up the top quarter, there isn't much room left for viewing the content of the document you are working on! I've thought about getting an Bluetooth keyboard, but if that's what I need to do to make good use of the tablet, then perhaps I am better off with the Stream 11/13!

Still, the 4G modem in the Stream 8, along with the free 200mb/month, is a big incentive to keeping it. I have a prepaid Lumia 521 and I have opted to not have a data plan on it, except when I need it, like for travelling, in which case I buy a day- or week-pass. If you already have a data plan on your phone, then you might not care that much about having it on your tablet, too.

FuzzyLogician

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
If you already have a data plan on your phone, then you might not care that much about having it on your tablet, too.
If cellular companies didn't have additional fees for tethering, I'd agree with you. Unfortunately they restrict how you use the data that you've already paid for, just so they can sucker you out of more money. :angry:

I ordered the tablet yesterday and I'm definitely glad to have the free data, even if it's just to download the occasional Kindle book or look up an article on the web or something.

Edit: I have to admit I didn't believe that it came with GPS either. I looked it up on the HP site and indeed, it's listed:
Sensors: Accelerometer; GPS; SAR

Anyone know what a SAR sensor is?

several potatos

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
If cellular companies didn't have additional fees for tethering, I'd agree with you. Unfortunately they restrict how you use the data that you've already paid for, just so they can sucker you out of more money. :angry:

I ordered the tablet yesterday and I'm definitely glad to have the free data, even if it's just to download the occasional Kindle book or look up an article on the web or something.

Edit: I have to admit I didn't believe that it came with GPS either. I looked it up on the HP site and indeed, it's listed:

Anyone know what a SAR sensor is?

Fyi, T-Mobile no longer does so. Tethering is free now.

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Amazon now has the Stream 8 available, instead of just a pre-order. Same price as Microsoft Store ($179). If you qualify for education discount, getting it from the MS store is still a better deal, though.

B walker

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I have received my Hp stream 8 in the UK, bought from hp . However, It's a great tablet but there seems to be a battery drain problem on standby. The battery seems to drain even on standby, with or without wifi connected.

Also, the 200mb 3-4g sim works well & I was able to get on the internet within 10 mins of opening using its built in free contract sim. However, it's unclear how this operates, in the press articles, hp or reviewers are suggesting that it lasts for the life of the device, which suggests a good few years. However in the UK it's being sold as free internet , although small with the hp datapass but for 2 yrs only? Is that suggesting how long the device is expected to last?.??? It's very confusing advertising. I thought it was a lifetime free small internet

I like that you can add memory internally + by wifi memory cards & I can put full windows programmes on unlike with my iPad air. This is great because I have no choice but to use windows software for work. Also Citrix runs v fast on it.

My only disappointment so far is trying to get 5 hrs battery life out it, & continuous battery drain when it's off or on standby. If there was a fix it would be a great value tablet. It's roughly the same size as my iPad air although a few mm's taller & narrower.

Windows apps installed surprisingly quickly & easily. I still have about 12gb left after installing microsoft office 2013 & about 10 other apps. Youtube streams ok & is great on the 8" screen. I tried the stream 7 but I thought it would be too small for my needs.

Overall I have no regrets but would like to manage battery life better. The iPad mini is a lot better at going in & out of standby & retaining battery power. Oddly I've had windows laptops /net books with slower processors & 2gb ram with less advertised battery power which last longer than this because they can properly go in & out of standby

I'm hoping there's a fix

B walker

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I've installed office 2013. I am finding that word keeps asking to close. I'm not sure how to fix the problem. I switched off auto updates when installing it but I don't know how to switch it back on again.

I attached a Bluetooth keyboard for the Samsung Galaxy pro tab 8.4 which I got cheap. It's a similar size to the stream 8 as is the Asus memo pro. However, it might be better to get a windows keyboard Bluetooth case, or just keyboard as the alt, esc, , windows buttons would still be there. I haven't quite found the best 1 yet. . I found putting the stream 8 vertically, as I do with my iPad mini, also allowed more of the screen to be visible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss