HP Stream 7 or 8? What did you get?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious to know which one everyone got. The Stream 7 is a great value at $100, but that 200MB/month is pretty tempting too.

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm within Wi-Fi 98% of the time, so went with the Stream 7 at >$100 less. When I'm not in Wi-Fi, I use my Lumia, so it's all good.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Just fired up my Stream 7 today. First ever tablet I've had ....... I don't know diddly about it or tablets in general :sweaty: . But I'm messing around with it. Getting updates right now. I'm so lost :grincry:

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
You're on the right track. Get All of the updates and reboot a few times. It'll be good then. As a pure media consumption tablet, the Stream 7 rocks. If you type more, get an OTG dongle and hook up a USB keyboard/ mouse combo. Wait to try Win10 for awhile, as it's not yet touch optimized. Just enjoy 8.1, unless you're a very serious geek, which is only one of my failings. Get an Amazon Fire stick and stream whatever you want to your TV. The list goes on...

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I went for the Stream 8, partly because there was an Amazon lightning deal back in the holiday season, but mostly for the free 200MB of cellular data. I don't have a data plan on my phone (L521 on T-Mobile pay-as-you-go) since I'm on wifi nearly all of the time. I figured that I could either buy data passes for the phone at 10$ per week when I am travelling or as-needed, or I could buy the Stream 8 and get a decent chunk of data for free each month for the life of the device. That basically negated the difference between the 7 and the 8 for me.
Now that the Stream 8 is regularly selling for $149, I think it is still a worthy upgrade from the Stream 7.

brad4560

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
have had my stream 8 for about 2 months now. (wifi only model) and i am loving it, perfect companion to my desktop and lumia 635. i went with the 8 instead of the 7 as the price at best buy at the time was very minimal. HP has done a great job with these devices!

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I grabbed an HP Stream 8 from Best Buy. I would have gone with an Insignia Windows tablet but Best Buy was sold out of them. So, I bit the $60-extra-bullet for the HP Stream 8.

So for no problems, but I bought it yesterday. I didn't know tablets could download software besides what is available on the Windows store. However, I think I'm stuck with software that supports touch, due to no wireless mouse or keyboard.

Is the Windows 10 TP available to use on these tablets? I may download it or keep it at Windows 8.1.

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
That's exactly why I love my Windows 8 tablet: plug in a USB OTG adapter with a USB hub, plug in a Logitech mouse/keyboard combo, and you've basically got a computer. You can plug in external hdds, flash drives, sd card readers, speakers, anything. And then when you want a tablet again, you can just safely remove and unplug. So much more awesome than my Galaxy Tab 4.

Anyway, I got the Stream 8. It pretty much pays for itself with the 200 MB data for life and Office 365 deal. Plus, the 8-inch screen makes things easier to read.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I had the 7 but wasn't impressed; mostly the 7" screen size. I returned it ad bought the 8 with the 200 mb free data. Looking around for those that have upgraded to Win 10 to see if it's worth it right now,

ts1506

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I got the Stream 7, primarily cause of two reasons

1. Dont need the 3G SIM slot (no free data in India either)
2. Stream 8 is nearly twice as costly (around 16500 INR vs 8500 for 7).

Honestly, the 7 inch size doesnt bother me at all, I prefer the smaller one more as it fits in cargo pockets easily. Just for a bigger screen and 3G, it wasnt worthy for the extra price. You could potentially get 2 Stream 7 for just 500 INR more.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up a Stream 8 Signature Edition from the Microsoft Store for $149. I have to say that not having any 3rd party software to uninstall is nice. I tried Windows 10 on it but it was too unstable at this point in time. Oh well, a few more weeks for the final build is not too long to wait. My only real gripe is the 32GB of space. I would have preferred 64GB. I did install a 64GB MicroSD and my AT&T SIM in it though. Windows 10 will allow installing Metro Apps to SD so I can't wait for that option.

Overall I think it is hard to beat for the price.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05