Just updated my Windows 10 Technical Preview to the latest build 10041 and touch screen doesn't work

razor1973

Aug 16, 2008
Visit site
Subject pretty much sums it up.

I was on the previous (first?) Windows 10 Technical Preview build and just updated to the latest build 10041 via regular Windows Update and everything ran successfully, except the touch screen stopped working. I am guessing the drivers are bad. I can't slide up to log in, so I really can't do much. I read somewhere that you could use an OTG cable to plug a regular mouse to it and work that way in order to download the latest drivers from Dell (bios A10, for example, since I'm on A09 and didn't think of upgrading this first), but the mouse doesn't do anything either. Nothing moves.

At this point, I am completely stuck and don't know what to do.

Is there a way to install factory 8 or 8.1 via SD card? It's the only thing that comes to mind.

bigeduck

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
They changed the lock screen, it says hit the windows key + power key to log in on the screen. Not sure why the change, also if that fails you can bring up the recovery screen by ... holding down the volume rocker while booting? I forgot which but you can load the bios / boot screen that way.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Connect a keyboard and use it to logon. Your touch screen will be functional after that.

I found this out the hard way on my Surface Pro 3.

razor1973

Aug 16, 2008
Visit site
Connect a keyboard and use it to logon. Your touch screen will be functional after that.

I found this out the hard way on my Surface Pro 3.
I tried with a mouse and it wouldn't work at all. Nothing moves. I am not 100% sure I have the right cables, though. I bought these cables like 2 years ago that have a male mini USB on one side that goes in the charging port of the Venue and a female regular size USB on the other where the mouse plugs in. I read you need to use an OTG cable. Aren't all cables like the one I just described OTG (on the go) cables? Or do they need to have some special sauce inside?

razor1973

Aug 16, 2008
Visit site
They changed the lock screen, it says hit the windows key + power key to log in on the screen. Not sure why the change, also if that fails you can bring up the recovery screen by ... holding down the volume rocker while booting? I forgot which but you can load the bios / boot screen that way.
Pressing Windows + Power does nothing The logon screen doesn't slide up.

I had tried that too. Volume Down takes you to the BIOS, where you can't do a whole lot to remediate my problem (or can you?). Volume Up takes you to the boot manager, which looks like this. I can't find a way to fix anything else from here. When I run diagnostics, they all succeed (including Tablet Panel). Setup simply takes you to the BIOS.

Is there a way to reinstall WP81 from SD card or something like that that doesn't need to boot into WP10? That's when I lose the touch screen.

Attachments

• DellVenue8Pro_BootScreen.jpg
    DellVenue8Pro_BootScreen.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 5

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I've got an HP Stream 7. Last build caused issues , so I got an IOGear OTG dongle with 3 USB ports, as well as SD and microSD slots, so I could connect my keyboard, mouse and USB recovery. Definite must have when playing with tech preview. Put all of your drivers on the USB as well

razor1973

Aug 16, 2008
Visit site
So, unsure the cables I have that adapt mini USB to regular size USB were OTG (since I'm not sure whether that's some type of special cable), I purchased the one horseybob recommended and waited for it to arrive. It arrived today and, right away, I connected it to my Venue and a mouse to the cable. NOTHING. The mouse isn't even getting power from the Venue, since the light doesn't go on. Tried another mouse... same thing. Different USB port on the cable... nothing. The logon screen is there and I can't slide it up to type my password.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? I don't know what to do to save my tablet, which is perfectly fine and only needs W10 touch display drvers/calibration or a way to reinstall W81 without needing the touch screen (SD?). :(

Attachments

• 61QFI8WJkML._SX522_.jpg
    61QFI8WJkML._SX522_.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 72

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I have to say that both my updates 10041 and 10049 have gone buttery smooth. No issues at all. The one thing I did have to do was reject the video driver update on 9928, but after that, I've had no issues.

bigeduck

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
So I was having issues with some apps not loading on the latest update and decided to do a refresh, .... yeah, that didn't work. Still had my recovery key from before, that didn't work either. Could load into win10 installation but same problem, not touch screen driver. Finally dug up an old powered usb hub from the back of my closest and was able to step through the setup with the on screen keyboard.

Had to re-set up my user account as there was no wifi when setting it up. I suppose I could have slipstreamed it in the installation, but just loaded the drives off a usb stick afterwards.

All this to say that yes, you can install a copy of windows from scratch with a usb hub and mouse / keyboard attached.

tarra3

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I just did the latest update and now when I lock the screen I can't seem to unlock it. The backlight comes on but nothing else on the screen. I am forced to hold the power button down and force reset it. Anyone else see this or have a workaround?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans