How to connect to DisplayPort monitor?

SZQnl

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting the TabPro S. Even though I would like 8GB RAM+256GB SSD, the alternative Huawei Matebook seems to have awful battery life.

Unlike the SP4, the dock/multi-adapter on this only has HDMI. So if I need/want to use DisplayPort instead, how would I do it? For example, say if my monitor only had 1 HDMI and 1 DisplayPort and something else was connected to the HDMI (e.g. games console). There doesn't seem to be a cheap HDMI->DisplayPort cable available, only expensive active converters.

I was under the impression that USB Type-C (3.0/3.1) can support DisplayPort signal natively like the Macbook 2016. I'm guessing they provide a USB Type-C to DisplayPort cable. But that solution would mean no charging and no dock? I'm a little confused.

Thanks

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
But that solution would mean no charging and no dock? I'm a little confused.
Thanks
there are docks/adaptors support Display/miniDP output and you can charge the device .
and I found one projjjjject on indiegogo very appealing, https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/marble-a-portable-2-in-1-usb-c-dock-chager/
Besides, you might also want to try MS display dock (which have both HDMI and Displayport out), it fits the usb-c DisplayPort standard and other usb-c 3.1 standards. though it was designed working with Lumia phones but it works with mac and other laptop as well. Check this video and starts from around 4:10, you can see they use the Microsoft display dock on a Mac. https://youtu.be/u3fDbq57dus?t=250

SZQnl

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

Didn't consider the Microsoft Display Dock so thanks for pointing that out. Although it only has USB 2.0 ports, it should be fine for my usage. However the review below states that it does not work and other devices are unlikely to support the fast charging of the TabPro S:

Samsung Galaxy TabPro S Review: Super AMOLED with Windows 10 | Pocketnow

"...You can probably use any USB-C compatible dock, but Samsung’s version includes fast charging. Incidentally, the Microsoft HD-500 USB-C Display Dock does not work with the Samsung Galaxy TabPro S. So, USB-C isn’t really that standard or compatible right now...."

That indiegogo project sounds promising. Slightly expensive at $149 but if it's confirmed to work and there are no alternatives then I'll happily get one.

Last edited:

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

"...You can probably use any USB-C compatible dock, but Samsung’s version includes fast charging. Incidentally, the Microsoft HD-500 USB-C Display Dock does not work with the Samsung Galaxy TabPro S. So, USB-C isn’t really that standard or compatible right now...."
so for the microsoft display dock to work on any device, first you need to plug in with power source, seems the dock need power to run.
second, for it to charge the device other than 5V, you should use power adaptor for your laptop/tablet (Or better to find a universal usb-c power delivery charger with 5V to 20V output) instead of the one comes with the dock ( it can only provide 5V 3A)
and lots of people confused about usb-C standard, so didn't connect docks or adaptors to their testing devices correctly so fail to get positive result.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss