Anniversary update

barotropic

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Anyone get the 1607 (Redstone) update on your DV8 Pro yet?

I have it on a couple of desktops, and love it, but don't want to force it onto a much-less-generic device like a tablet until MS says it's ready.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
The biggest problem with tablets was space constraints - at least 16GB was needed. And maybe the lockscreen wallpaper would stop working

barotropic

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
The biggest problem with tablets was space constraints - at least 16GB was needed. And maybe the lockscreen wallpaper would stop working
This tablet is running Win 10 Threshold just fine, and has a 64Gb drive, so I doubt that I'll have that issue. I just want to be sure the bugs are worked out.

Sent from mTalk

barotropic

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
the yes, the bugs have been worked out.

Have you installed it on a Venue 8 Pro?

I'm asking for input from someone who has actually completed the upgrade on this model.

The 1607 Update has not appeared yet in settings..updates on my tablet. I = know= how to force the update, but am interested in the experience of someone who has actually experienced it before I force it.

I'm hesitant because it is so much more of a hassle to restore a tablet than a desktop pc, should the process end badly.

Sent from mTalk

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

I'm asking for input from someone who has actually completed the upgrade on this model.

The 1607 Update has not appeared yet in settings..updates on my tablet. I = know= how to force the update, but am interested in the experience of someone who has actually experienced it before I force it.

I'm hesitant because it is so much more of a hassle to restore a tablet than a desktop pc, should the process end badly.

Sent from mTalk

I don't have that device so I can not comment on user experience.
However, my 3 year old laptop hasn't received the update either, so the phased roll out still seems in place

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

Sent from mTalk

I have the Dell Venue 8 Pro (Model 5830, so the older gen) with 14393.82 on it. It's mostly pretty good, but I'd hesitate to call it problem-free. The battery drains like crazy, like 3-5% an hour on connected standby. To put that into perspective, it drained 1-2% an hour on connected standby with TH2 It drains half the battery overnight. And, yes, I've hard reset (an unacceptable "solution" that nobody should have to do, by the way) and started fresh. It doesn't help.

And it still has this Start Screen bug:
Screenshot (12).jpg

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I have the Dell Venue 8 Pro (Model 5830, so the older gen) with 14393.82 on it. It's mostly pretty good, but I'd hesitate to call it problem-free. The battery drains like crazy, like 3-5% an hour on connected standby. To put that into perspective, it drained 1-2% an hour on connected standby with TH2 It drains half the battery overnight. And, yes, I've hard reset (an unacceptable "solution" that nobody should have to do, by the way) and started fresh. It doesn't help.

And it still has this Start Screen bug:
View attachment 129711

can you check which apps are running in the background and what is using the most battery charge?

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
can you check which apps are running in the background and what is using the most battery charge?

It was 100% around 11:30pm last night and by 9am, it's at 59%. I barely used it. It only had around three minutes of on-screen time. THREE. Most of the battery drain happened while it was sitting around in Connected Standby mode. There were only three apps consuming most of the power, and the sleepstudy shows no heavy offenders during the 1am and 6am Connected Standby sessions. It's just not ready for prime time.

Screenshot (14).png

Screenshot (15).png

Screenshot (17).png

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
So maybe don't leave it on connected standby overnight?

With all due respect, but that's kind of an unacceptable solution. Connected Standby is what makes a Windows tablet a tablet. It's one of the defining features for Windows tablets and 2-in-1s, and if I disable Connected Standby, I might as well just turn the tablet off when I don't use it, which for me, defeats the whole purpose of a tablet in the first place: always ready, always connected. I hope I don't sound ungrateful, and I do appreciate that you're trying to offer solutions, but it's just too drastic of a workaround.

To barotropic, I say if you have the same model I do, you should wait until Microsoft fixes this problem. I'll keep updating my DV8P with Redstone, and I'll chime in when the battery life is back to TH2 levels, but it's just not ready right now.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
With all due respect, but that's kind of an unacceptable solution. Connected Standby is what makes a Windows tablet a tablet. It's one of the defining features for Windows tablets and 2-in-1s, and if I disable Connected Standby, I might as well just turn the tablet off when I don't use it, which for me, defeats the whole purpose of a tablet in the first place: always ready, always connected. I hope I don't sound ungrateful, and I do appreciate that you're trying to offer solutions, but it's just too drastic of a workaround.

To barotropic, I say if you have the same model I do, you should wait until Microsoft fixes this problem. I'll keep updating my DV8P with Redstone, and I'll chime in when the battery life is back to TH2 levels, but it's just not ready right now.

I understand your situation - Out of ignorance, what is connected standby used for exactly? I truly don't know :smile:

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I understand your situation - Out of ignorance, what is connected standby used for exactly? I truly don't know :smile:

Connected Standby is what allows tablets and 2-in-1s to behave like an iPad or Android tablet. It's exactly what the name implies: the tablet remains connected to services while standing by, which allows devices like the SP4 or DV8P to still alert you of Tweets, Facebook messages, Skype messages and emails even when you're not using it and the screen's off, like an iPad or Android tablet would. So, Connected Standby is an important feature in 2-in-1s and tablets. It's what makes the SP4 or DV8P a tablet. Just imagine a phone that doesn't alert you to anything until you turn the screen on. That's what disabling Connected Standby on my DV8P would be like.

Yes, this feature does consume a bit of battery, but when it was working properly in TH2, it drained less than 1% an hour. Before the AU, my DV8P was able to remain in Connected Standby mode for a few days mixed in with some moderate usage. Overnight, it drained less than 10%. It was actually on par with my Android tablet. After the AU, it's been draining 5% per hour, and it dies within a day with absolutely no usage. Yeah, you could disable it using the registry, but 1) you would be taking away one of the Windows tablet's important features and 2) I believe that people shouldn't have to mess around with the registry in order to get something working. That should be Microsoft's job. The only thing an end user should have to do is install apps, let it update, and keep it charged.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the explanation, that was well written.

As a first suggestion, check for OS updates again. There might even be a firmware update
Secondly, if Cortana was off, would it make a big difference?

From experience, just after a major update, the new features are nice and such but further cumulative updates are really what counts. So the optimisation comes later, getting the power usage down

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the explanation, that was well written.

As a first suggestion, check for OS updates again. There might even be a firmware update
Secondly, if Cortana was off, would it make a big difference?

From experience, just after a major update, the new features are nice and such but further cumulative updates are really what counts. So the optimisation comes later, getting the power usage down

I agree with you, and that's my point exactly. Unfortunately, the AU is simply not ready on this tablet, not until Microsoft releases the cumulative updates to solve the battery drain issue. That's why if I were barotropic, I'd hold off on updating it to Redstone for now.

My tablet is always up-to-date, from the chipset to the bios to the firmware to the OS. Redstone just needs some work. Again, it's really up to Microsoft now to fix the problem because tinkering in the registry, using workarounds and turning off advertised features like Cortana are things that the end user should never have to do with a consumer tablet. So I'm just going to wait and let Microsoft fix it instead. But thanks for the suggestions, though.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I agree with you, and that's my point exactly. Unfortunately, the AU is simply not ready on this tablet, not until Microsoft releases the cumulative updates to solve the battery drain issue. That's why if I were barotropic, I'd hold off on updating it to Redstone for now.

My tablet is always up-to-date, from the chipset to the bios to the firmware to the OS. Redstone just needs some work. Again, it's really up to Microsoft now to fix the problem because tinkering in the registry, using workarounds and turning off advertised features like Cortana are things that the end user should never have to do with a consumer tablet. So I'm just going to wait and let Microsoft fix it instead. But thanks for the suggestions, though.

you're welcome. Usually updates are released on the second Tuesday of the month, so 13th September? Maybe :sweaty:

barotropic

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Quote: "I have the Dell Venue 8 Pro (Model 5830, so the older gen) with 14393.82 on it. It's mostly pretty good, but I'd hesitate to call it problem-free. The battery drains like crazy, like 3-5% an hour on connected standby. To put that into perspective, it drained 1-2% an hour on connected standby with TH2 It drains half the battery overnight. And, yes, I've hard reset (an unacceptable "solution" that nobody should have to do, by the way) and started fresh. It doesn't help."

Thanks for the good info and warning!

I have the same model, and have been very happy with performance, reliability and battery on TH2, so don't want to "fix something that's not broken".

But I am interested in upgrading when Redstone is "fixed", so I can get the shared notifications (esp with Android and Windows phones) feature. I really like that on my desktop, especially remote SMS texting.

BTW, did you get the update as a Windows Insider? I would hope it is not in general availability with all these issues.

Thanks again, and I'll check back here if Windows Update threatens me with Redstone.

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
But I am interested in upgrading when Redstone is "fixed", so I can get the shared notifications (esp with Android and Windows phones) feature. I really like that on my desktop, especially remote SMS texting.

BTW, did you get the update as a Windows Insider? I would hope it is not in general availability with all these issues.

Thanks again, and I'll check back here if Windows Update threatens me with Redstone.

Sure, I'll post in this thread again when the battery consumption rate returns back to TH2 levels. I did get the update as an Insider, so I'm unsure if it's generally available for the DV8P. I updated it to .103, and the battery drain issue still persists.

Also, I kind of get the feeling that this issue might be happening on other tablets. I checked the battery report on my sister's Surface 3 (14393.82, non-insider) after she complained about the bad battery life, and it also has a higher-than-normal consumption rate on Connected Standby, roughly 3.5% per hour. This problem also affects my HP Stream 8 5909.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft is at this moment pushing the Anniversary 1607 update via Windows Update (automatic) onto my Dell Venue 8 Pro. USA location. We'll see how it goes.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It is not good at all. Mine updated and lost all the audio. Anything related to video does not work. Basically, the tablet is no longer useable. There are no video or audio drivers to be updated to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro