Can the Spectre x360 be opened?

MikeyBugs95

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
I'm planning on purchasing a Spectre x360 but I'd like to try to cut costs wherever I can. I'm eyeing the 2017 15t with the 16gb RAM and 512gb SSD for it's i7-7500U and Nvidia card (going to be doing light CAD work and school work) and long battery life. Unfortunately the $1,500 price is a bit much for me. If anything I'll be purchasing it through financing but I'd drop down to the 256gb or even 128gb SSD if they're replaceable. With that in mind, is the laptop able to be opened to replace the SSD or RAM? If not then my decision has been made a bit easier (then it'll just be between the Lenovo Yoga 710 15" or the Spectre x360 15t).

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
If you go to HP's site and download the service guide, then you'll see that it CAN BE opened and the RAM and SSD swapped out. Now, it doesn't look particularly easy and it requires unplugging some other components. So, it all depends on how comfortable someone is with cracking open a system. And I have no idea of the warranty implications.

However, it's a matter of removing some screws, then unplugging and removing various components, and then it's a simple enough swap. I'm happy to see it myself because while HP puts in a nice, fast SSD, I wouldn't mind upgrading to a Samsung 961 or such at some point.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I know this is a bit old but for future reference, you can open the Spectre (and almost all HP laptops) and replace the SSD and wireless card very easily. Torx T5 screws on the bottom cover, then a single screw holding in the SSD/wireless card. If you've replaced components on other computers, this should take less than 5 minutes.

RAM is not upgradable on the Spectre x360 (it's soldered to the board), but on other laptops it might be. Check the service guides.

No adhesives or special tricks, although be careful when removing the bottom cover, especially around the hinges on the x360 systems. And of course, shut down computer, unplug power adapter and battery before swapping components, and take proper precautions against static charges.

A full service guide with detailed instructions for replacing every component is available on HP.com for every single laptop (search your model such as "spectre x360 13-0000", look for Service and Maintenance Guide).

It won't void your warranty, although if you ever have to send your system in for repair, be sure you remove your own parts and replace the original ones.

Also if you're replacing SSD, you can get a copy of Windows 10 from https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fsoftware-download%2Fwindows10&token=5IlZjPxG
No product key required. It will detect the key embedded on the system board, and activate automatically.

05GT

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I know this is a bit old but for future reference, you can open the Spectre (and almost all HP laptops) and replace the SSD and wireless card very easily. Torx T5 screws on the bottom cover, then a single screw holding in the SSD/wireless card. If you've replaced components on other computers, this should take less than 5 minutes.

RAM is not upgradable on the Spectre x360 (it's soldered to the board), but on other laptops it might be. Check the service guides.

No adhesives or special tricks, although be careful when removing the bottom cover, especially around the hinges on the x360 systems. And of course, shut down computer, unplug power adapter and battery before swapping components, and take proper precautions against static charges.

A full service guide with detailed instructions for replacing every component is available on HP.com for every single laptop (search your model such as "spectre x360 13-0000", look for Service and Maintenance Guide).

It won't void your warranty, although if you ever have to send your system in for repair, be sure you remove your own parts and replace the original ones.

Also if you're replacing SSD, you can get a copy of Windows 10 from https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fsoftware-download%2Fwindows10&token=AWIl7eO_
No product key required. It will detect the key embedded on the system board, and activate automatically.

The RAM on the 15" Spectre x360 is definitely user replaceable. It shows it in the manual. I also saw first hand when I opened my late 2017 15t to repaste the CPU and GPU.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99