GB 12 Verizon...Great!

bill-e

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
I received my Galaxy Book 12 from Verizon yesterday and so far I'm quite happy with it.

Fit and Form are excellent, this thing is thinner than the Note Pro 12.2 that it has replaced. It really looks like an Android tablet until you turn it on.

Backlit keyboard works well and is comfortable. I like the fact that unlike the Surface Pro 4, when I remove the keyboard all I have in my hands to hold is this sleek tablet.

As one would expect, out of the box it is a very fast windows environment. I have installed Lightroom and Photoshop and performed some minimal testing with those programs. All I've done in Photoshop is adjust the raw photo's settings in Camera Raw and that works just as fast as my 12 gig i7 desktop. I haven't done any layering yet. Lightroom seems to be a bit slower when going from the Library mode to Develop mode, like maybe a second or two, just enough time to see some pixilation but that's it, everything else seems to work the same.

I've already updated Win 10 to the Creators update and all seems fine.

It charges pretty fast, going from an out of the box 53% to 100% in an hour. I have not tested battery duration as yet.

I'll keep you posted
Bill

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
Awesome to hear its that thin and light. How is the fan noise on it?

I'm a Surface Pro 3 owner and love the device, but fan is noisy and it gets hot/heavy to use like a tablet.

bill-e

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
So I'm really undecided on whether or not to keep the LTE version or return it and get the 256/8 Wifi version. So far the tablet is running great and I definately want to keep a Galaxy Book with the LTE and the $5/month Verizon insurance but I'm having a difficult time getting past the 4 gig of Ram.

Part of me says that if I use it as a tablet 4 gig should be enough and part of me wants to keep the built in LTE but then I know that for desktop use 4 gig is not enough. I can get around the smaller SSD with SD cards and external drives but 4 gig, really????

Thoughts. I have until about the 25th of May to make up my mind. Comments?

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
How much is it to have an LTE tablet on your account?

I have the unlimited data plan, with mobile hotspot. Why would I want to pay more for an LTE version versus a wifi model that can connect to my phone?

Is there any advantage of this version over the 4gb/128gb wifi only version, considering the LTE version is $600 more?

I'm using a Surface Pro currently. The hard drive is full. The memory card is full. I get regular notices that I've run out of memory. Should I wipe this computer and start fresh, or upgrade to one of these versions?

bill-e

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
How much is it to have an LTE tablet on your account?

I have the unlimited data plan, with mobile hotspot. Why would I want to pay more for an LTE version versus a wifi model that can connect to my phone?
Cost is $10, or in my case $15 because I got the insurance. As I posted above, that is a perfectly acceptable alternative. I prefer to not have to bother with that hassle and drain my phone battery when I can have it in my tablet.

Is there any advantage of this version over the 4gb/128gb wifi only version, considering the LTE version is $600 more?
The LTE tablet is $170 more, the tablet you're quoting is the 10" m3 version...not the same.

I'm using a Surface Pro currently. The hard drive is full. The memory card is full. I get regular notices that I've run out of memory. Should I wipe this computer and start fresh, or upgrade to one of these versions?
Starting fresh will certainly restore your tablet to its former glory and may quench your thirst for a new tablet. As for new, you could look at the newer Surface tablets or try Samsung. I feel Samsung is more of a tablet than the Surface pro 4.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I looked at a Samsung Tab 3 today. Glad I did, not going that route. I'm not opposed to a Surface Pro 4, but since I use a Samsung Galaxy S7 now, I like the Samsung Flow that is available on the Galaxy Book.

bill-e

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
I think it really comes down to whether or not you want a tablet or a portable desktop computer. Not to take away from the Samsung but it can't compete with the Surface pro 4's top end specs.

I have decided that I wanted a tablet with LTE so I'm 99% sure I'm sticking with the Samsung. After using it for a couple of weeks I'm just not using it as a desktop all that much so even though the specs aren't up to the SP4 I'm liking the tablet feel and LTE.

Tony DelVillar

May 11, 2017
Visit site
Glad to find this thread. I'm truly struggling between the verizon LTE model and the 8gb. Your experience with the device has helped. I love the tablet form with the light pc function. Seeing how I was looking for chromebook, this is similar duebto the 4gb ram. Basically a glorified chromebook. I like the idea of constantly being connected with LTE. I think I could get used to this as a tablet . Thanks.

bill-e

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
I've decided to keep the Verizon version. It is running great and I'm over my ego trip of wanting more ram. This tablet will do everything that I need it to do now and in the future.....until the next greatest thing comes out ;)

Tony DelVillar

May 11, 2017
Visit site
So I have mines ordered and in its way home to me now. I ordered from Amazon a screen protector, sd card and a usb-c to usb a adapter for now. Are there any other accessories you recommend for new galaxy book owners? The only other think I though of was some sort of HDMI connector but there's soo many to choose from..... What do you recommend?

bill-e

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
I dont plan on hooking mine up via HDMI so I have not researched an HDMI adapter, sorry, no help there. It does cast effortlessly to my Samsung TV so I have no need of the adapter.

Which screen protector did you order? I'd be interested in a review of it if it's Ballistic Glass as far as sensitivity goes.

Let us know how you like your GB once you play with it.
Bill

Tony DelVillar

May 11, 2017
Visit site
I'm just starting to test the limits of the 4gb . I'm able to play some programs. Microsoft visual basic and some lite Photoshop.
The protector is glass and so far it's been good. The only issue I have with the protector is one of the corners has some small particles stuck not allowing a full seal in the corner. I believe it's due to the "peel this off before applying" tag not sure why but it's near flawless.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XGBPXP...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3668604

bguzmanz2

May 23, 2017
Visit site
Just got mine and so far I'm liking it, just gotta get used to windows instead of android tablet experience. Did you get your windows hello to work? Mine says it isn't compatible.

Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon