Android 2.2 going to WP7?

BuddyLee#WP

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering if any of you guys out there are looking to make the jump to wp7 even though you are on android 2.2 or even 2.1. I dont know what to think ... so far the wp7 selling points are live integration and zune. I dont play consoles or the sort and I probably buy a cd once a yr is so much ;)

But minus those two features I'm thinking to myself that maybe wp7 isnt for me ... I love my mass storage, divx xvid drag drop and play on android, and a ton of other features that I do on a regular basis that wp7 dont do.

Maybe its the whole euphoria of a new mobile os that took wind of me ... Needless to say I already pre purchased the omnia 7 to be shipped at launch. But now that I think about it I am having buyers remorse.

Its not too late to cancel my order buy I am really trying to justify keeping my order. Btw im coming from a Samsung Galaxy S ... once you experience super amoled you cant go back, another of the reasons I wanted to try the omnia 7.

Thanks

slighmd

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I am currently sporting a Nexus One on 2.2.1 and yeah, i'm getting WP7 once it comes out and leaving android. I'm a gamer by heart, and this seems to be the one for gamers. Android gaming is really terrible and piss poor. Also, i already came from the iOS prior to android and i didnt like iPhone. Another selling point is the lack or minimal fragmentaion. With android,devs have the multiple resolutipn problems, compatibility for different cpu's and their speeds. Also, updates are very slow and it depends on the OEM or carrier when or if it comes out. Like froyo for example: i got it the day it was released and that was a couple of months ago, while the Samsung galaxy line is just having it as we speak. Another thing is that it comes with MS office out of the box

RussST24

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Well my HD7 comes tomorrow and i am currently on a Galaxy S with 2.2.
Will it replace my phone? Probably not in this release but i am going to give it a good shot.
really concerned with no multitasking but lets wait and see I did it on an iPhone for years.
Only being able to sync your main calendar from each account is a pain too. Had do some moving about to prepare for this device.

I will report back on how I fair.

Russ

Chris McKay

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm contemplating the jump, too. I moved from Windows Mobile to Android, but I just haven't been happy with Android. The idea of the OS is great, but it seems a bit "off". That could just be because of my phone, though (and the fact that I don't fully trust Google at all).

Anyway, I've played with the HD7 for a few moments but it seemed slick enough. Plus, from my understanding we have the option of using our own Exchange server instead of Live. Since I prefer to keep my data to myself, this is a big plus in my book.

And, I miss my WinMo games. I had some high-quality games that I anticipate will be ported to WP7. Android gaming leaves a lot to be desired.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Have an EVO with a custom 2.2 on it, which I adore.

But the Samsung Focus blows it out of the water. Put the Focus up against other Super AMOLED Android devices, probably not so easy.

But WP7, in the long run, will be much better than Android. More consistent, stable and fun to use.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I had a nexus one 2.2 that I sold to get a dell streak. I had problems with both (nexus one would randomly lock up and would have to pull the battery out to reset because none of the buttons would work), tons of software wouldn't run on the streak (angry birds for example). I felt the touch screen could have been more accurate/responsive on both. Sometimes the streak wouldn't take input on an incoming call and i would have to call them back after watching it ring through to voicemail. I had a myTouch 3G before that - it was horrible.

I was amazed at the responsiveness and fluidity of the Focus. I wanted to like Android so much, but the quality just wasn't there like it is in WP7.

Chris McKay

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
evilrobot said:
I was amazed at the responsiveness and fluidity of the Focus. I wanted to like Android so much, but the quality just wasn't there like it is in WP7.
I think that sums it up for most of us.

Redbird1

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm leaving Android as soon as VZW gets a WP7 device. I played around with the HTC HD7 at the brand new MSFT store in Oak Brook, IL. I was very impressed. The UI is stunning! I wanted to switch carriers right there. However, I will wait (impatiently) for VZ to get WP7.

Just the XBOX live and Zune integration are worth abandoning the Android ship. And of course, the UI makes android look primitive.

I'm currently running Android 2.1 on the Samsung Fascinate. It's a decent phone, but after spending 30 minutes with WP7, I can't even stand looking at the ugly android UI anymore.

I know, I know.....Android has 100,000 apps. Sorry, but this doesn't sway me. I mean, I can live without the 99,995 apps that I didn't download from Android market.

Given all the criticism of WP7, it's only going to get better with time. All the morons on CNET and various tech blogs that call it an "epic fail" one week after release, are just scared that their precious iphone and android platforms will lose market share.

I really thought I was an Android guy, but to tell you the truth, I'd rather use a BlackBerry!

Come-on Verizon, get WP7!!

reast

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Tons better than Android! Android is way to fragmented for my test. This is a nice compromise between the iphone with its locked down world and Android in the wild west.

I came from WebOS as my primary phone and once multitasking is fully implemented, I think this will be an even better interface than WebOS.

action_efn_jackson

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Wp7 ftw!

Glad I stumbled across this BB and thread! I am upgrading the 22nd and have spent a ton of time @ ATT trying to figure out what device I wanted. I was torn between Android and WP7. All I know is every time I goto ATT I always seem to find that most of my time is spent playing with the WP7 phones. This will be my first smart phone. I am going with WP7.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99