WP7 phones are now free. Weak sales?

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Here in the UK it is common for carriers to offer phones for free on certain tarrifs. For instance from day 1 you could get the HTC HD7 for free on a ?45 tarrif, or the iPhone for free on ?64 tarrif and the Android HTC Desire for free on ?45 tarrif. It doesn't mean the phones are doing badly.

subarunut

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I bet it is just a push for the phones. Looking at the first place I saw this, it was a limmited time deal and only for new customers according to the fine print. Unless I miss read.

Light Speed1

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
black friday weekend is coming up so everything will have a good deal ... also amazon is being very aggressive in their cell phone business to get business with their new amazon wireless

MarcMaiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
be careful when buying from amazon.com or letstalk.com (walmart.com) because when you sign a contract with AT&T through them, you also sign a contract with the company selling you the phone. with their contract, you are usually agreeing to keep the $25 data plan or unlimited messaging for 2 years as well. They do come with their own ETFs and is how they can sell phones so cheap.

Guy_serious

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
be careful when buying from amazon.com or letstalk.com (walmart.com) because when you sign a contract with AT&T through them, you also sign a contract with the company selling you the phone. with their contract, you are usually agreeing to keep the $25 data plan or unlimited messaging for 2 years as well. They do come with their own ETFs and is how they can sell phones so cheap.

outside resellers usually have a 6 month period where if you cancel your service, change your service ,get suspended for non-payment, or lower your service in anyway then you'll get charged a fee of 250 by Amazon, letstalk, etc. As long as you keep your service on time and like the plan your, then your fine.

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I've noticed android devices just as cheap. I think it's just a push by the carriers to get new subscribers and people onto smartphones with smartphone data plans.
Only phone I haven't seen this on, is the iphones since apple probably has final say on pricing.

Guy_serious

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
Only phone I haven't seen this on, is the iphones since apple probably has final say on pricing.

apple charges rediculous prices for most products. so the iphone shouldn't be any exception. The price the carrier pays for the phone wholesale has the most say for the subsidized price they offer. No one makes money off an apple product, but apple, so at&t probably sells the iphone either at cost or at a loss. With WP7, I'm guessing Balmer is offering some kind of relief in the price to push out more product.

karelj

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I am confused by MS' lack of a full bore ad campaign. A campaign that shows the OS in action, that shows the Facebook integration in the People and Me hubs, and how the Photo hub works etc etc. The OS provides a killer user experience and once people start really seeing it in action they will react positively.
It's led me to the following conclusion - this is just a theory of mine - MS is hedging their bets. Knowing that the OS is still lacking some features and that the upcoming update will fill in some key features or, according to the latest leaks, be a massive update..MS is letting us be early test subjects who will help get the word out based on actual end user experience.
Despite it's flaws and shortcomings, the majority of us knew exactly what we were getting into and the majority of feedback has been very positive.
With that, MS will go full steam ahead after the planned update in January. With the positive feedback and word of mouth from us early adopters, the ability to woo those still on the fence by adding the missing features in the update, plus a better ad campaign, MS will start the big push to gain market share.
As I said, it's just a theory of mine.... what do you folks think?

Light Speed1

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I am confused by MS' lack of a full bore ad campaign. A campaign that shows the OS in action, that shows the Facebook integration in the People and Me hubs, and how the Photo hub works etc etc. The OS provides a killer user experience and once people start really seeing it in action they will react positively.
It's led me to the following conclusion - this is just a theory of mine - MS is hedging their bets. Knowing that the OS is still lacking some features and that the upcoming update will fill in some key features or, according to the latest leaks, be a massive update..MS is letting us be early test subjects who will help get the word out based on actual end user experience.
Despite it's flaws and shortcomings, the majority of us knew exactly what we were getting into and the majority of feedback has been very positive.
With that, MS will go full steam ahead after the planned update in January. With the positive feedback and word of mouth from us early adopters, the ability to woo those still on the fence by adding the missing features in the update, plus a better ad campaign, MS will start the big push to gain market share.
As I said, it's just a theory of mine.... what do you folks think?
the product is very very young

in the product adoption model, the first buyers arent even the early adopters, they are the innovators. the early adopters come next... the advertising will pick up with time

karelj

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I hear what you are saying, and I understand MS' line about it being a marathon, not a sprint, but with the public perception of Windows Phones combined with the fact that not only is the OS having to play catchup to get what is now basic features, it also has to play catchup to get what are considered advanced, 'wow' factor features that appeal to consumers. They really needed to get a big jump out of the gate and, as much as I am enjoying WP7 and support it, that big jump did not happen.
When the Iphone first came out it did lack features, but the entire platform was such a cut above anything else that it stood out. This was not going to happen with WP7, but MS cannot afford to keep taking this seemingly casual approach to getting attention to the platform.
Hopefully, they will pick up speed and momentum. It would also help if the hardware partners put out truly impressive and killer phones. I love my Focus, but my prior phone for 2.5 years was a Motorola Q9H so of course I am dazzled...but I wish it wasn't so 'plasticky' and it came with 16gb instead of 8. This first wave of phones for WP7 could have been much better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750