How much data are the phones using?

Light Speed1

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, at&t has a 2GB limit. the phones basically revolve around using data, with the people and photo hubs bringing in facebook info, xbox live being online, etc.

how are your phones faring? do you ever turn off the data to make sure it doesnt waste?

action_efn_jackson

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Something I noticed on my wifes area and my work torch is they both have options to turn on or off the data reception. Kind of defeates the purpose of having a smart phone. But with wifi being more available everyday. Its almost tempting to go with the lowest data plan offered and just use the wifi receiver on the device. You could always turn the data back on if something couldn't wait. I know that's sorta off topic butr just came to mind.

MarcMaiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I tell my customers if they can connect to wifi whenever available and make sure you do your downloading of apps/games/music through the zune pc software, then you can easily justify the $15 plan.

AT&T will let you know if you get close to your cap by sending you a message at 60, 70, 90, 100% of the way there.

Emails/maps/web pages hardly use data at all unless your emails are always full of pictures and attachments

seaniccus

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I've never had AT&T send me a warning when I get close to my text message or data caps before.. are you sure this is normal procedure? (Granted, I only had 1mb of transfer before, but still - is this normal, or is it something that's only done with smartphone data plans?)

action_efn_jackson

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
AT&T will let you know if you get close to your cap by sending you a message at 60, 70, 90, 100% of the way there.

I will confirm. This exactly the reason my wife is on 2 gigs. We went to the store that day and told them to bump it up thus saving us the 5 bucks if we went over and gaining 1600 MB.

Also went and bought a wireless router that weekend too. lol

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm so glad I have my AT&T unlimited data plan... I really wish they still offered it to everyone, especially for a device/OS that relies so much on the internet (in a good way)

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I'm 14 days in I'm just at 200MB--so 2GB is certainly more than enough for my needs. Granted, I have WiFi at home and my work so I use that when available. But even over 3G,unless you're streaming Netflix everyday, I can't see it being a problem.

Plus the AT&T app on the device lets you live-check your numbers (sms, minutes and data usage) making it quite easy to keep track.

Pretty happy with AT&T so far, which I'm even surprised at saying. Also just got my 20% company discount (Cornell), making their price more acceptable.

Edit: I don't use Facebook nor automatically save to Skydrive for photos. So I'm not too typical in that regard.

Last edited:

seaniccus

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I use less than 200mb a month with my 1st gen iphone, so i'm hoping I won't use any more with the windows phone. We'll see after it gets here.

action_efn_jackson

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
My only concern is if the live tiles are basically always drawing data. I just ordered my Surround an hour ago. So I will be finding out really soon and can't wait!

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Holy crap. I'll never understand how you guys do this without tethering.

What do you DO on your phone?

well the majority of it is Zune and Office file downloads.. but I've watched some Netflix. If they have 3G syncing of podcasts, I'd be over 5GB easy right now. I guess the 3000+ photos I have synced w/ Skydrive probably isn't helping either..

Unlike most people I know, I no longer carry around an MP3 player of any sort with me and haven't for a while.. That's why I thank God that I'm still on AT&T's 5GB/mo plan LOL

seaniccus

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Zune and Office file downloads.. 3000+ photos synced w/ Skydrive

I didn't think of skydrive. I know android users that use this much, and it blows my mind - but that could make a huge difference. I'm pretty sure ill still be able to pull off 200mb to spare easy, I just don't use data that much, and when I do, i'm often around Wifi, but man - that's amazing!

At least you're getting your value out of your data plan!

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Mine would be a lot lower if my phone was able to connect to WiFi networks that have hidden SSID's, but it can't, so AT&T's paying the price..

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I've hit a little over a gb so far in 2 weeks, which is a down month for me. Just for reference, my first month on my hd2 I got throttled by mobile with a week to go in the cycle. I think for me I am using the work WiFi more since the reception on this phone is worse for me at work and it won't hold a 3g signal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsa3