How much data are the phones using?

seaniccus

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a question about this - when I turn my WIFI on, should I turn my data connection off, or do I not need to?

I've read a couple of things like this - you can actually turn 3G data off? Does this effect anything else, like phone calls or text messages? Although this isn't necessary, it's still a big deal to me to know i can turn it off - with only 200mb a month, knowing I can reach like, 195 and just "turn it off" for the rest of the month to make sure I go over sounds like a big deal.

You can really do that? That's awesome.

(Can't see for myself yet, because my phone is still in the mail. Should be here today)

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
You can turn your data connection on and off through the Cellular settings, allowing you to be guaranteed 100% WiFi only data. If you are connected to a WiFi network, you won't be using your cellular data anyway.. so it wouldn't matter if your Cellular Data is on or off.

You cannot tell it if you want to connect to 2G (Edge) or 3G specifically.

seaniccus

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
If you are connected to a WiFi network, you won't be using your cellular data anyway.. so it wouldn't matter if your Cellular Data is on or off.

Oh, I agree - it only matters because, as I said, i'm on 200MB a month, and if I get close to my limit, I may want to turn it off so I don't accidentally use it when I'm not in wifi, and go over. I had a profile on my iphone that did that for awhile, and it was handy to have the "reminder" that I was at my limit, and have it simply not work when I tried to use the web on the go.

seaniccus

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Okay we need a better way to meter data. Somehow, my att update says i've used 90 megabytes in the last 6 hours. I haven't downloaded anything, I've only checked facebook a little, used twitter a little, and played harvest, flowers, and illomilo a little. No web browsing, i have skydrive turned off - how could I possibly have used 90 megs?

Yeah, I get that Acheivements and stuff connect to xbox, but for what I did, no way i shoulda used more then 5-6 megs. What. the. hell.

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Okay we need a better way to meter data. Somehow, my att update says i've used 90 megabytes in the last 6 hours. I haven't downloaded anything, I've only checked facebook a little, used twitter a little, and played harvest, flowers, and illomilo a little. No web browsing, i have skydrive turned off - how could I possibly have used 90 megs?

Yeah, I get that Acheivements and stuff connect to xbox, but for what I did, no way i shoulda used more then 5-6 megs. What. the. hell.

no offense bro, but yer mistaken. you did something other than what you listed.

Edit: new pet peave - people referring to any data connection as "3g".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18