A running list of needed WP7 fixes

thanos911

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Samsung Focus 3 days ago, and had the weekend to play around with it, and explore both its features and shortcomings. I recently ditched my IPhone 3G, not because of a disdain for the product, but my angst towards a company that refused to support their product after it started having hardware failures and a steady slowing of the OS in the 1.5yrs of regular use. I use my phone to complement my daily tasks, and make them easier.

So with this in mind, I dove into the cold WP7 waters in hopes of releasing the fruity grips my prior phone had on the my life, and here are my thoughts on the OS.
There are a lot of great features for the phone, and the OS, as many articles and posters have expressed, so I won?t go over all of that. I will, however, focus on some features that I wish were available, or that I have not figured out how to maneuver. Feel free to comment on any of these either in agreement or otherwise, or add some features that you would want in a future update of the OS.

So in no particular order, here is my list:

1) There is no way to configure advanced email settings such as ports. You can specify SSL, but no way to specify non-standard ports that I have been able to figure out.

2) Universal Inbox or quick email switching. At least having the option to consolidate all your emails under one area, or a way to switch between accounts would be a plus. Having to hit back and then find your other email account is not efficient (even if you have it set up as a tile).

3) Copy/Paste. Not much to say here and MS is reportedly addressing this issue in the next release.

4) When you have linked accounts, or Facebook integration, there is no way to select what name is shown on the contact (this affects people with maiden names and nick names). You have to change your actual contact card, which isn?t always the option of choice. The app lets you chose the picture, at least, so it shouldn?t be hard to let you choose the display name.

5) Remove the limitation on how many free apps developers can submit to the marketplace. You get 5 included submissions, but every future submission requires you to pay. MS already takes a cut off your sales, so why provide a disincentive for small apps/utilities that can help adoption of a new OS from the get-go?

6) SkyDrive documents aren?t readily accessible through the office hub. You can go through the internet, log into SkyDrive, and then open up a document, but why the extra step? If the docs are all listed in the Hub, or provide a way to search for a document, it will make it more intuitive.

7) OneNote does not allow you to open up Grouped Sections. This is a small peeve, but should be a quick/easy fix.

8) When reading email, if you?re trying to zip through all your unread messages, the app doesn?t automatically go to the next message when you trash it; instead, it goes back to the message list. There should be at least an option to automatically go to the next email so you can quickly go through emails.

9) Images are not automatically downloaded in the email client. Also a nuisance when messages are in HTML and you have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the message to click on ?download rest of message? just to see the proper formatting. Again, at least an option would be great (although the rationale of refraining from auto-download makes sense).

10) No quick scroll to bottom or top of a screen. Although scrolling is smooth and easy, if you have a large document, it is way too time-consuming to navigate the page.

11) Flagging a message in the email client does not synchronize with flagging in Hotmail or Outlook. Others have also mentioned a parallel issue with Google and the favorite/starring of an email.

12) Search in the marketplace is not grouped. This is a biggie for people trying to find applications vs. songs when hitting the search button. Why am I shown music about GPS, when I simply want to see if there are GPS apps available?

13) Visual Voicemail. Although this is a nice feature of the iPhone, it?d be nice to have it available in WM7 because of the convenience it provides. Not sure if there is a patent issue here with it, however or the plausibility.

mittortz

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
nice list! this should be a sticky. I really like #4 and #10.
The only one I can think of to add so far is gapless playback in Zune. Seriously infuriating to not have it, it's something I've come to expect out of music players.

I'm sure I'll think of more... as much as I love the OS, there have been multiple occasions where I find myself surprised that I can't do something, or that I have to go through a cumbersome process to accomplish something simple. Or hear a pause on Dark Side of the Moon.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Completely agree with the documents issue, that should be high on the list.

Avoiding stating a few enhancements I'd like (turn by turn nav...) the three fixes for me which you haven't mentioned:

1) Allow multiple mobile numbers for a contact, at the moment I can't make a "mobile 2" option so where I have contacts with work mobiles and home mobiles I can only send text messages to one number. This REALLY needs fixing.

2) There's an app for it which gets me by, but the ability to send contact details over SMS or MMS is sorely missed from the main OS

3) Camera application remembering it's settings! Incredibly frustrating on my Omnia 7 as I'd like to keep the anti-shake option always on!

Finally, to your point on #10, I quite like the way it is, particularly where the office applications have the outline view which lets you move quickly to the top of documents, and web pages tend to be an acceptable size.

bp2fl

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
1) Clicking delete on an email message for gmail accounts sends the email to the "Archive" rather than the trash. Allow for the option to choose the behavior of the delete button for gmail accounts.

2) Twitter integration into the people hub

3) Ditto on the post above that pleads for camera settings to be remembered!!!!

dbadali

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
While I don't have a WP7 yet - hope Verizon comes out with one in January when I am due for an upgrade, I played with a WP7 in an AT&T store - my list would include:

Improve calendar recurring events options, WM 6.5 has more repeat options and end date option. At a minimum, add option to delete all future occurrences from this date to the edit function as a backdoor method to create an end date.

diego3336

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I would like to use my Microsoft Points to buy Apps & Games.

I really don't feel comfortable with attaching my credit card to a mobile device which I can lost or get robbed anytime, and prepaid cards such as Microsoft Points, are great to had a better control of little brothers and teenagers sons and daughters costs, and even to give as a gift.

I hope MS allow MSPoints as a payment method for Apps & Games soon.

elgorbo

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Engage brain dump of ideas/tweaks for WP7:

Gaming:
- Override back, win and search keys in games by default to prevent exiting the game and losing progress. (Or enable resume that doesn't lose application state and pauses game by default)

Location Services:
- Allow user to set connection profiles based on location (when at “home”, wifi on always, never use 3G data, ringer vol set to 10 / when at “work”, wifi on always, never use 3G data, ringer set to vibrate / else, wifi off, use 3G data, ringer at 20)
- Allow user to turn on/off GPS radio

IE:
- Share page support with Facebook, Twitter, Google Reader

Email:
- Delete and Archive support in Gmail
- Allow users to specify first 5k download of email only
- Allow users to specify different sync policies based on connection type

Wifi:
- Allow connecting to hidden SSIDs (why isn't this done already!!!!!!)
- Give option to allow wifi always on
- Give more control about when wifi sleeps (if an app is running in background and requests data and wifi is available but not connected, connect and use it rather than 3g)
- Allow user to configure phone to only check email when in wifi coverage
- Allow user to disable any and all background syncing (including Facebook/People)

Wifi/3G
- Have a data tracker to assist with usage per given date range to assist users with keeping under bandwidth limitations.
- Track data down to the application if over a given amount. (ie: YouTube used > 200MB this month)

Messaging:
- Allow popup notifications to show whole message without requiring to go into Messaging app. Links to mark as read and reply available. Reply link launches app.

Zune:
- Make media player interface toolbar dropdown larger with more finger friendly controls. (Only covering the lock screen so use the space!)
- Add a screensaver option in Zune to display now playing artwork if available
- Pinning an Artist to the homescreen should only use one square, not a whole horizontal. Having a giant blue box is pretty lame when you could show an updating single tile with all the different album art under that artist.
- Since Zune doesn’t sell music to Canadians, we don’t get background art in Zune player or live tile art updates while listening to tunes. Can we just get some album art for the tile of whatever is playing?

MarketPlace:
- No way to see full title of app if it goes past the edge of the screen

Accounts:
- Allow user to control which data is synced for all accounts including Facebook and Windows Live.
- Allow user to disable / set sync frequency (including in People and Photo hubs for Facebook data)

Entire Platform:
- More landscape support!
-- Typing on portrait keyboard is much more difficult
-- When using as a media player with speaker and kickstand, the Surround is still showing Zune in portrait mode.
-- Would be nice to see the tiles rotate on the home screen when in landscape. Should be able to have 4 tiles in each row.

Phone:
- Hub support to filter by missed calls, incoming and outgoing

Me Tile:
- Don't hold the "what's new" title as static. Let it scroll upwards like it does in the People tile. Big waste of space when put into landscape mode.

Brain dump disengaged.

BSOD

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried setting the port at the end of the server name? For example "mymailserver.com:1234". Just curious.

I have, it works just fine with IMAP/POP3 & SMTP.
Syncing to exchange has no support for alternate ports. Then again, who would go through all the effort of setting up an exchange server and cripple it by using alternate ports.

Syrinxx

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
- Separate volume controls between ringer/Zune app/games. This is probably my #1 request and I'd happily trade cut/paste for it.

- Audiobook section for Zune app (quick and dirty workaround is to put your audiobooks in the "Podcast" genre)

- Kindle app! Hurry up Amazon!

Also seconding the fact that servername.com : port# works fine for the mail app. I currently connect to SMTP at port 2525 from my W7P by this method.

droppedlife

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
More to add to the list

1. Not only custom user ring tones but user added email alerts and text message alerts. Possible different email alerts for each account. In old windows mobile 6.0 you could change the alert for email and texts.(Had this on my droid phone)

2. a way to save video attachments from a text message.

3. right now you can't send a video from any email account or upload to facebook.

4. Push a videos audio to a bluetooth headset like with mp3s.(Had this on my droid phone)

5. add a .FLV player to the internet explorer and zune. (Had this on my droid phone)

6. speech to text for email composition and text messaging.(Had this on my droid phone)

7. fix the mic problem. I am tired of taking a video of my kids and then later there is no audio. No rhyme or reason to this problem.

8. A way to customize the tiles. The outlook tile looks like a baby, why can't i change it to what i want?

Saljen

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Definitely agree with these posts, we seem to have the majority of my requests covered already.

Universal inbox and conversation views in email would be extremely convenient.

Every time the screen locks while in a browser, it resets to portrait mode, which is very annoying. If it's in landscape before screen lock, it should be in landscape when it's unlocked.
Also, when in portrait or landscape, the address bar should only be visible when at the top of the page, ie: iPhone and Android. Instead they decided to make it not visible at all in landscape and always visible in portrait, very poor choice.
Portrait keyboard in the browser is a must.
The refresh/stop loading button in the browser box is EXTREMELY small. It feels straight out of WinMo 6.5 and is unacceptable. The touch area around that button needs to be increased.

There should be quick jumps to top/bottom, whether its a gesture or a tap on the status bar, something needs to be done to make this happen.

I'm unsure if this is just my phone or if this is a universal problem, but anytime either Zune or Marketplace crashes, (has only happened 3 times since I've gotten the phone on day 1) said app will not re-open unless the phone is reset.

Camera needs to keep settings. Video will not stay in 720p, must be reset to that setting every time, and flash settings can not be saved either. Very annoying.

Save state in apps. Irregardless of the status of their multi-tasking, a save state is necessary. This should have been part of the OS out of the door. Playing a video game, getting distracted for 1 minute and the screen locks, you have to start over. For a phone designed primarily around gaming, this is unacceptable.

Over all though, I LOVE my HTC HD7 and Windows Phone 7 so far. I feel that it is an excellent start into the mobile sector and that this OS has more potential than any other mobile OS currently available. Microsoft needs to get these issues corrected quickly, updates need to come as fast, if not faster than when Android was initially released. If Microsoft can pull this off, then I feel that they will catch a significant share of the mobile market.

ChrisLynch

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I too agree with all of the comments thus far. I would like to add a few more:

1. No ability to add a different type of attachment to an email other than a picture. I would like to add a document from SkyDrive, Office Hub or say a contact.

2. Full Zune client functionality. Give me Random, Repeat, Heart Rating, and SmartDJ.

3. Add a Location or Mobility Hub where GPS and Geo-apps can all call home, instead of launching each one individually.

4. Coelate the Phone hub's tracking of inbound and outbound calls. I want to see a list of people that I have called or who have called me. If I then select a person, it will show me call history.

5. A COMPLETE BACKUP SOLUTION. I want the phone's data to be backedup. That includes call history, text messages, saved games, and core OS app settings. I don't care if that is synced to SkyDrive, or with the Zune client. Most people would probably prefer the Zune client. And I'm not talking about backing up the phone during a firmware update. I want the phone to be backed up on a schedule or manually by my intervention.

6. Enhance MPEG-4/AVC/H.264 levels to include 4.1 or even 5.0, with b-frame support.

7. Enable DIVX/XVID playback, just like the Zune HD supports.

Elgorbo's post is extremely specific and one that matches my opinions. Visual Voicemail is another feature I would love to see implemented.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
How would you fix Windows Phone? (Updated) | Windows Phone Secrets

What needs to be fixed in Windows Phone

Copy/cut/paste

Third-party multitasking

Camera app: Remember customized settings; support front-facing camera

Calendar app: Support multiple calendars; support subscribed calendars; Add tasks functionality, integrate with Exchange/Outlook tasks and Hotmail Calendar to-do; week view

Enterprise: Full support for Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) policies; VPN support

Service integration: Directly support popular third party services in the Pictures hub, including Flickr, SmugMug, Google PicasaWeb, and so on; direct support for other services elsewhere, including Twitter

Cloud-based backup: Provide a free MyPhone/KIN Studio-type service for all Windows Phone users, for free

Audio playback: Add an EQ, separate music playback from other audio levels

Ringtones: Support custom ringtones, notifications, and alarms

Mail app: Provide support for an integrated inbox that spans multiple accounts

Facebook account: Provide a more granular way to determine which Facebook content makes its way to the phone

People hub: Contact filtering, Favorites (also in Phone); ability to disable contacts from primary Windows Live ID

Storage expansion: Figure out microSD expansion, support it

Networking: Support for hidden networks and static IP addresses; Wi-Fi hotspot; tethering

Media playback: Support for DLNA push and pull in the core OS; two-way Media Center integration

Internet Explorer: Bring IE Mobile up to IE 9 desktop standards (as close as is feasible), with HTML 5, support, etc.; do not allow carriers to replace Bing search in browser unless you provide a way for user to switch it back

PC integration: App synchronization with Zune PC software, as with Zune devices; allow manual wireless sync with phone-based software trigger (as on Zune HD)

Music + Videos: Over-the-air access to podcasts; audio-only playback of video podcasts; gapless music playback; on-device playlist management; better video playback controls (i.e. scrubbing) and aspect ratio adjust; bring Zune player to full functional parity with Zune HD

Marketplace: Fix widely reported bugs; access a special area of Marketplace where purchased/downloaded apps are organized for user; Marketplace search should provide a way to filter by content type

Office Mobile: SharePoint like document access via Windows Live SkyDrive

Screenshot capability built into the phone, a la iPhone

Photo sync: Allow for folder management, photo naming on import to PC, or allow for integration with Windows Live Photo Gallery or other photo importing applications

Performance: General improvements across the board

Accessibility: Match what Apple is doing for the vision impaired and others with disabilities

Messaging: Add support for video send

Consistent access to Bing and Zune services in all supported locales

Zune Pass with multiple Windows Live ID support (aka ?Family Pass?)

Alarm app: Add a simple timer with countdown

SharePoint: Support non-UAG authentication

Developer: Increase support for all Windows Phone functions

mgombar

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Here are my additions

Calendar:
- support for shared internet calendars in Gmail. And I am not talking about the current Gmail main calendar support, I want to be able to add individual .ics links to support the 6 or so calendars we use for our kids' sports and home calendars.

Network Sync:
- would like the ability to kick off a network sync at will.

General:
- would like ability to set power off to "never" when connected to power.
- I know turning on Location services eats up a lot of battery, so how about a "snooze" type feature instead of turning on "forever" Generally, I just need it for a few minutes for maps, weather, Yelp, etc. I would like to enable Location/GPS for say only 10 or 15 minutes then have it turn itself off. I don't need to remember to manually turn it off later.
- Does the snooze make sense for bluetooth too? I seldom use my bluetooth headset, but do periodically for conference calls. Maybe a 2 hr. snooze, or better yet, how about a popup prompt when all bluetooth devices are disconnected to ask me if I want to turn it off?

wqwalter

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
WP7 Features

Fix bug that crashes marketplace and requires phone reboot.
Fix bug that crashes Zune and requires phone reboot.
Fix zune podcasts so that when all selections for apodcast folder have been played the title goes dim like it does on a real zune so you can quickly skip podcast folder that have been played.
Add podcast dynamic play list that you could program to create a playlists with certain dynamic properlies. For example unplayed news poscasts that are less than 10 minutes long. Unplayed Tech podcasts. All unplayed podcasts. etc. That way during the commute I could start a playlist and not have to go clicking around to find the next unplayed podcast.
Add over the air podcast subscriptions so that things like CNN that published a dozen or so short podcasts throughout the day could be played a on the return trip home without teathering to a desktop zune client get the new updates.
Add my Zune autible.com content to wp7 zune.

Bill Walter

enOZero

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

My name is Andy and I work on the Email team for Windows Phone. I'll try address a few of your concerns.

1) There is no way to configure advanced email settings such as ports. You can specify SSL, but no way to specify non-standard ports that I have been able to figure out.

You can specify this in a couple of ways:
<server-address>
Example: mail.aol.com

<server-address>:<port-number>
Example: mail.aol.com:993

<server-address>:<port-number>:<ssl_only>
Example: mail.aol.com:993:1

This works for IMAP, POP, and SMTP.

2) Universal Inbox or quick email switching. At least having the option to consolidate all your emails under one area, or a way to switch between accounts would be a plus. Having to hit back and then find your other email account is not efficient (even if you have it set up as a tile).

This is a very well known feature request. :)

8) When reading email, if you?re trying to zip through all your unread messages, the app doesn?t automatically go to the next message when you trash it; instead, it goes back to the message list. There should be at least an option to automatically go to the next email so you can quickly go through emails.

This is a very well known feature request.

9) Images are not automatically downloaded in the email client. Also a nuisance when messages are in HTML and you have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the message to click on ?download rest of message? just to see the proper formatting. Again, at least an option would be great (although the rationale of refraining from auto-download makes sense).

This is a very well known feature request.

11) Flagging a message in the email client does not synchronize with flagging in Hotmail or Outlook. Others have also mentioned a parallel issue with Google and the favorite/starring of an email.

This is an interesting one for me. If you flag/star, we don't "automatically" sync it back to the server. You must either get a push request from the server, send a new mail from the account on the device, or force a sync (you can do this with the AppBar sync icon). If you see that it is not syncing back with the server when you do this, private message me as I will want to figure out what's going here.

ChevyMSU35

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
2. Full Zune client functionality. Give me Random, Repeat, Heart Rating, and SmartDJ.

Random, repeat, and heart rating are all there already. Tap on the album art while the music is playing and the icons will appear.

It definitely should be more conspicuous. I had to find it by accident.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers