A running list of needed WP7 fixes

L3vi

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Huh? Why would anyone want EDGE connectivity and not 3G? That makes no sense to me.

Battery life. Disabling 3G can greatly extend battery life. And if your not doing any heavy web browsing or anything else that is data intensive, there is no need for it.

andrantos

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if these are repeats - too much to go through:

1. Wrong Album Art:
At some point, the album art showing will be for the album of the song following the currently playing song. Can't forcibly recreate, seems to happen on its own. Swiping back and forth will "reset" to the correct art.

2. Audio Skipping:
Skipping on rings, tones, and music. When playing music, it usually will only occur towards the end of a song. With rings and tones, it will skip/stutter pretty often if the phone is locked or screen is hibernating.

3. No address bar while in landscape mode in the browser.

4. Keyboard does not go all the way to the edge of the screen while in landscape mode.

5. Disabled Mic:
If I have headphones or a cable plugged into the headphone jack - almost always, the mic will not capture any sound. Oddly, it does not effect phone conversations - only software like Shazam or the "Find so-and-so/Call so-and-so" feature. After unplugging the cable, the mic will remain disabled. A soft reset will always correct the issue. Sometimes replugging the cable back in and unplugging it will correct the issue.

6. Zune and Marketplace Unavailable:
If the Marketplace ever crashes, it will remain unavailable/won't launch until a soft reset. In this state, the you won't be able to launch the Zune hub - which is a huge pain.

7. Can't do anything with your "Now Playing" playlist
While viewing your "Now Playing" playlist, you cannot do anything with songs on the list other than tapping to play. It would be nice to be able to hold down on the song and get the following options:

1. remove from "Now Playing"
2. move up/down in the list
3. download from market place if its not already downloaded
4. purchase and share options.
5. *Bonus Points* view artist and view album
6. Be able to save your "Now Playing" as a playlist.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
even when cellular data connection is off, it should be turned on automatically to download an incoming mms and turned off upon completion or the user should be prompted to turn on data when they select an mms.
I'm almost certain this happened to me the other day when ATT data was being flaky. The text portion of the MMS was blank but I got a link to download the media portion. You shouldn't even need data to download MMS (WiFi is fine) but I'm not sure if WP7 allows for that.

There should be a way to disable 3g only
If you're running the Focus, there's an option for 3G/EDGE in one of the diagnostic menus. I haven't tried it myself though.

L3vi

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm almost certain this happened to me the other day when ATT data was being flaky. The text portion of the MMS was blank but I got a link to download the media portion. You shouldn't even need data to download MMS (WiFi is fine) but I'm not sure if WP7 allows for that.

If you're running the Focus, there's an option for 3G/EDGE in one of the diagnostic menus. I haven't tried it myself though.

Where? I can't find it.

piphowell

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I would like to see a lock on the Wifi, that it keeps on the same connection instead of it changing to my connection then to BTFON which is a hot spot, when you are just moving around the house.

I know they are sorting the issue with Cut/Paste, Brilliant.

Have the option to which start up menu you would like, i don't like the pin board start and prefare the HTC hub look.

I would like to see that you can create your own folders in messaging and in pictures, so that you can keep stuff to keep away from other people if they went through the phone.

The internet explorer needs a better zoom in and out option, i.e by using the volume control to zoom in and out, or a seperate menu to how much zoom in and out you would like.

SanFranMan

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
-IM Client
-WebKit browser available as an option. Especially given the lack of apps, this would be very useful to get access to all the web apps
-Public transit directions in Bing maps (it's on the website, why not the phone?)
-An option to have the signal strength meter stay visible (I'm on AT&T in San Francisco, yeah I need it!)
-Twitter integration with Me/People

It's a really great start though. First MS operating system I've ever liked.

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Battery life. Disabling 3G can greatly extend battery life. And if your not doing any heavy web browsing or anything else that is data intensive, there is no need for it.

I know on the hd7, if you go to cellular under settings, you can turn off 3g.

Skynyrdfan5#WP

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
While I don't have a WP7 yet - hope Verizon comes out with one in January when I am due for an upgrade, I played with a WP7 in an AT&T store - my list would include:

Improve calendar recurring events options, WM 6.5 has more repeat options and end date option. At a minimum, add option to delete all future occurrences from this date to the edit function as a backdoor method to create an end date.

Verizon will be releasing the Windows Phone in June.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Set up a different "snooze" times on alarms.
Set up an "on time" alarm for the calendar.

I love the idea of turning off buttons for games. That should be an option. On the Focus it is too easy to hit the windows button and be out of a game.

Rest seem to seem pretty well beaten here.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Just got my first wp7 phone yesterday (came from Android), and these are the things that stick out at me the most as needing serious attention:

Messaging and notifications need improvement thats for sure. They look bad and could be more functional. Maybe as somebody else stated, some sort of hub screen to the left of the home screen so you don't have to have (or look through) all your tiles. I'd rather be able to click notification(s) in a centralized place that would in turn open the related app than search through my tiles; I'd also rather not have to have most of the tiles and just use the notifications as a shortcut when needed. Androids is more functional in this way (although I would prefer a webOS style). They aren't "bad", just need improvement.

Socket support for IM and 3rd party SMS apps needed. No IM apps (that work) is pretty sad. Moving from android, naturally most of my friends are on gtalk. Flory does not work for me, and thats the only one I know of that even claims it can do it.

Stock sms app is bad. Works well, but layout is horrible and cannot be changed in any way. I don't much care for the dark background, and don't want to have to change my entire theme to light to change this. Also same color for both parties is just nonsensicalness. Hopefully 3rd part apps are able to be introduced soon because like the stock one on android, this one is functional but less than desirable.

When you try to text somebody and start typing their name, more than one phone # per contact should show up. Sometimes I want to text somebody at a different # ya'know?

Google also needs to make an official Google Voice app before I lose it. GoVoice and Gvoice just aren't good enough. This goes along with sockets/third party sms apps, and although MS doesn't have anything directly to do with the creation of the app, they do hold the key to making it feasible for Google to do so.

Customizable ringtones. This is pretty basic. Whats the problem?

File system access is also desirable through something similar to astro file manager on android ect. This doesn't need to be included in stock wp7, but should be able to be created by 3rd party.

Does not sync all phone numbers of contacts from Gmail; does not seem to sync all of which it should. For instance: My girlfriend has more than 2 numbers, one of which is her googlevoice number. This will not sync to my phone. Only her mobile & work number will.

Dialer: Dialer needs drastic improvement, and smart dialing features. When I dial SAM, it should bring up any contact with those letters in my contacts list. Also need speed dialing feature where you hold down a # to dial a specific contacts phone number. This also ties into the GoVoice apps ect, where I cannot simply start dialing a name to pull up contacts. Very inefficient.

There are some really basic things that need quick improvements on MS's end. So far I love the layout, and look forward to wp7's future, but these basic functionalities definitely need to be addressed.

Last edited:

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If you click the notification, the app that's sending the notification will open.

Socket support. Geez, can't get here soon enough. I agree 100%

Stock SMS app is pretty sweet if you ask me.

It got all my numbers from Gmail just fine.

Dialer is a dialer just a plain big dialer.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I would like better organization of the "all apps page".

Also I don't want a unified inbox like many people, but don't keep all my inboxes on the front page. When my Focus is locked I can see I got an email, but I don't know for which account. Its a pain. I have kind of figured out that how far over the icon is corresponds to the alphabetical nature of the list, but I wish my "all apps page" used live tiles as well.

ash755

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Copy/Paste and better marketplace search- Adressed by 2nd week of march
skydrive support/twitter intagration/multitasking (similar layot to palm)/ie9 is coming in windows phone 7.5 later this year

mjevans

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
On my HTC 7 Pro, whilst browsing Marketplace and looking at an app, on returning to Marketplace I am regularly taken back to the beginning of the list. There are some categories that I have never reached the end of because I'm so fed up of having to start scrolling from the beginning again I just give up. I thought it was helping by letting the screen stabilise after scrolling before changing screens but it still happens regularly.

When looking at app details, the "show details" button area is often unresponsive and has to have several hard stabs to get it to work.

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Just got my first wp7 phone yesterday (came from Android), and these are the things that stick out at me the most as needing serious attention:

Messaging and notifications need improvement thats for sure. They look bad and could be more functional. Maybe as somebody else stated, some sort of hub screen to the left of the home screen so you don't have to have (or look through) all your tiles. I'd rather be able to click notification(s) in a centralized place that would in turn open the related app than search through my tiles; I'd also rather not have to have most of the tiles and just use the notifications as a shortcut when needed. Androids is more functional in this way (although I would prefer a webOS style). They aren't "bad", just need improvement.

Socket support for IM and 3rd party SMS apps needed. No IM apps (that work) is pretty sad. Moving from android, naturally most of my friends are on gtalk. Flory does not work for me, and thats the only one I know of that even claims it can do it.

Stock sms app is bad. Works well, but layout is horrible and cannot be changed in any way. I don't much care for the dark background, and don't want to have to change my entire theme to light to change this. Also same color for both parties is just nonsensicalness. Hopefully 3rd part apps are able to be introduced soon because like the stock one on android, this one is functional but less than desirable.

When you try to text somebody and start typing their name, more than one phone # per contact should show up. Sometimes I want to text somebody at a different # ya'know?

Google also needs to make an official Google Voice app before I lose it. GoVoice and Gvoice just aren't good enough. This goes along with sockets/third party sms apps, and although MS doesn't have anything directly to do with the creation of the app, they do hold the key to making it feasible for Google to do so.

Customizable ringtones. This is pretty basic. Whats the problem?

File system access is also desirable through something similar to astro file manager on android ect. This doesn't need to be included in stock wp7, but should be able to be created by 3rd party.

Does not sync all phone numbers of contacts from Gmail; does not seem to sync all of which it should. For instance: My girlfriend has more than 2 numbers, one of which is her googlevoice number. This will not sync to my phone. Only her mobile & work number will.

Dialer: Dialer needs drastic improvement, and smart dialing features. When I dial SAM, it should bring up any contact with those letters in my contacts list. Also need speed dialing feature where you hold down a # to dial a specific contacts phone number. This also ties into the GoVoice apps ect, where I cannot simply start dialing a name to pull up contacts. Very inefficient.

There are some really basic things that need quick improvements on MS's end. So far I love the layout, and look forward to wp7's future, but these basic functionalities definitely need to be addressed.

I'd say give the phone a chance, but you might be happier back on android if your life revolves around google. You are always going to get a better experience on android than any other device for gmail, gvoice, gdocs, etc.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'd say give the phone a chance, but you might be happier back on android if your life revolves around google. You are always going to get a better experience on android than any other device for gmail, gvoice, gdocs, etc.

I am, and I am happy overall. Just stating what is lacking; most of which will be fixed with updates. I have no doubt these things will be addressed over time, and while I do still like Android, I like wp7 much more, and look forward to more features being introduced. This is a new OS and I am aware of that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb