Unlocked phone - OTA updates

rbiowa

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm debating between the HTC HD7 and a Samsung Focus. The phone will have to be unlocked. I've been down the road (iphone 3, 3G and 4) with AT&T and I can't take it anymore. T-Mobile is not available in my area, but there is an affiliate carrier (i wireless). So, it'll have to be i wireless. My concern is, if I purchase the Focus (AT&T), how will I obtain OTA updates? If I purchase the HD7 (T-Mobile) will I receive the updates through the affiliate carrier? Thanks for your help!

mittortz

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm debating between the HTC HD7 and a Samsung Focus. The phone will have to be unlocked. I've been down the road (iphone 3, 3G and 4) with AT&T and I can't take it anymore. T-Mobile is not available in my area, but there is an affiliate carrier (i wireless). So, it'll have to be i wireless. My concern is, if I purchase the Focus (AT&T), how will I obtain OTA updates? If I purchase the HD7 (T-Mobile) will I receive the updates through the affiliate carrier? Thanks for your help!

you actually don't have a choice between the two devices, unless you don't care about 3G access. I looked at I Wireless on wiki (i wireless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), and they use T-Mobile's UMTS frequencies. The focus only has 3G radios for AT&T, so you're stuck with the HD7 for full functionality.

In terms of updates, it appears that Microsoft will be releasing them directly so you can download them on your computer in addition to OTA updates. No one really knows for certain though, since it hasn't happened yet, and there is actually a lot of debate over the subject of carrier-blocked updates. Both Ars Technica and WPcentral had articles on this.
Personally, I'm nearly 100% certain of direct updates, and here's my proof: On the Windows Phone Connector software for Mac, the home screen specifically states "When an update for you Windows Phone 7 software becomes available Windows Phone 7 Connector will let you know and allow you to install it quickly and easily."
I have a feeling Microsoft will leverage control no matter what; they're taking a very Apple-like approach to the smartphone game.

Updates are coming from MS. Just like google sends out updates directly.
Lol, I would not draw that comparison. Unless you have a nexus device, google/android is pretty much the definition of indirect, carrier & manufacturer obscured updates.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
the focus supports HSPA+ ??? doesnt it??? best newtwork ont he market right now ( in canada any ways)

and yeah for the updates its 100% MS , doesnt matter witch carrier your with , its not liek the ****ty Android OS witch basicly had to creat 3 app stores for 3 diffrent supported OS deppending on carriers , HAHA

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
the focus supports HSPA+ ??? doesnt it??? best newtwork ont he market right now ( in canada any ways)

and yeah for the updates its 100% MS , doesnt matter witch carrier your with , its not liek the ****ty Android OS witch basicly had to creat 3 app stores for 3 diffrent supported OS deppending on carriers , HAHA

The main issue is the frequency. It looks like the network does not support AT&T's 3G bands. Therefore if you were to use an AT&T Focus on the network you would only be able to get edge speeds.

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
Regarding the updates. Paul Thurrott mentioned in his podcast that the carriers have the ability to delay updates for one cycle. If this is true, it implies the carriers will be the ones to send the updates OTA.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Regarding the updates. Paul Thurrott mentioned in his podcast that the carriers have the ability to delay updates for one cycle. If this is true, it implies the carriers will be the ones to send the updates OTA.

the only GOOD thing i can see from what ur saying is ,, if carriers release updates and have the chance to HOLD the update for 1 cicle,, does that mean they are gona take that time to add little NON MS extras ??? so every carriers gets a little extra kick.??

IamNabil

Dec 10, 2010
alanbar.us
I suspect that the carriers will be able to ask Microsoft not to push an update, so that they can roll it through their internal QC process. Palm did the same thing. Basically, they hosted the update on their own servers, and did the push, but would wait for the carrier to give them the OK.
They may be able to block the OTA update, but I am hoping that Microsoft will have the vanilla ROM available to flash the update if I would like.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro