Now, or Later?

Matt#WP

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
My contract expired a couple of days ago, and I'm looking to get a WP7 phone.

My question to you guys is this: Should I wait until this summer to buy a phone once they launch the new handsets? Or should I just go ahead and grab a Focus, Surround, or Quantum? I'm on AT&T as you can see.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
What kind of phone are you coming from? It sounds like you are more concerned with the phone rather than the OS. But if you like the current offerings, I'd say go for it now. If you wait until Summer, then you have to ask yourself if you should wait until late Fall for the new phones that come out before Christmas.

Matt#WP

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a terrible Samsung Impression.

It seems like there is no clear choice right now in the WP7 market in my eyes at least, so I figured I might as well wait til Summer or whenever the new handsets will come out.

L3vi

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
If you can wait, then wait. If you need a new phone then get it. At this moment the best WP7 phone right now is the Focus, so if you were to get a WP7 phone right now, I would get it. SAMOLED 4" screen, expandable memory, good camera.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm biased to the HTC HD7 since I have one. I have a Samsung Fascinate (Galaxy S) and still waiting for the promised update. Samsung is the worst for support IMO.

Matt#WP

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
That's what deters me from Samsung. I constantly hear about people saying they have for customer service or support, and they seem to ignore issues that handset owners experience and act like they aren't Samsung's fault.

I had an LG Shine a few years back and it was great, so I slightly lean toward the LQ Quantum, but the extra thickness is not something I want. So many things to consider.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm biased to the HTC HD7 since I have one. I have a Samsung Fascinate (Galaxy S) and still waiting for the promised update. Samsung is the worst for support IMO.

First of all , Androids phone are updated by the manifacture , NOT the company . so the lack of update on your Galaxi S is not samsungs fault!!!!

Also SAmsung is leading the market right now in Wp7!! ( like show in the reviews on the main page of this site ) beating out ALL htc phones combine

My g-f has a LG quantum ive played with the surround and and hurd alot fromt he Hd7 so far every 1 has been pointing to the focus being the fastes phone ( now i dunno if its true or not but w/e )

Honestly , considering this is liek Lg`s first DATA PHONE!! id stick away from it
and if ur not sure but like the keybored .

Id wait till next year for the HTC Pro , suppose to have a keybored and be a little faster.

PS: LG shine doesnt evan compare to wp7 OS , like going from a Camodor 64 to a windows 7! lol

IamNabil

Dec 10, 2010
alanbar.us
First of all , Androids phone are updated by the manifacture , NOT the company . so the lack of update on your Galaxi S is not samsungs fault!!!!

Samsung is the manufacturer. Google leaves it to the manufacturer and the carrier to figure out updates. It is very much Samsung's fault.

That said, from what I understand, Microsoft will be pushing the updates for WP7, so Samsung's inability to get updates out should be a non-issue.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Samsung is the manufacturer. Google leaves it to the manufacturer and the carrier to figure out updates. It is very much Samsung's fault.

Well if its samsungs fault , its also HTC fault , Motorolas fault ect... , Almost no android phone can go past 1 or 2 updates befor they will never get an other one .

end of the line : ANDROID sucks! its the most broken down OS outt here with like 5 diffrent Android OS on the market. hence the 3 app stores ( if you where a devoloper youd know what iw as talking about )

every time client come see me for a android i tell them no HAHAHA , i dont want you to come back in 1 month to ***** about the crapyness it offers. lol

Ether way : WP7 FTW!!

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
end of the line : ANDROID sucks! its the most broken down OS outt here with like 5 diffrent Android OS on the market. hence the 3 app stores ( if you where a devoloper youd know what iw as talking about )

every time client come see me for a android i tell them no HAHAHA , i dont want you to come back in 1 month to ***** about the crapyness it offers. lol

Ether way : WP7 FTW!!

hey bro um.. it's people with this point of view that give the people that truly enjoy being phone dorks a bad name. so congrats, you've got the ****** attitude that everyone hates.

also, if you work in a cell phone store (which i think i gathered you do, the crapyness of yer grammar is astounding) you're the salesman that real phone junkies love to pick on.. so keep on keepin' on and do what makes you happy but just know that yer gonna get a lot of crapyness whenever you put this POV out there.

<3

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site

That's just an uninformed comment. Not sure what you do for a living, but if you are selling phones at least get all the info you can so customers can make an intelligent decision.

Samsung (and other makers) release their code to the carriers. It's then up to the carriers to test/approve it for the phones. Samsung has been late in getting the latest version of Android ready for their phones. Motorola has not, and their phones have been updated for months. Same for HTC.

There are not 5 different 5 Android OS's on the market. I think you are getting confused because each phone manufacture puts their own flavor of the UI on the phone. The predominate OS's are 2.1 and 2.2. But you are making a good point (whether you knew it or not): too many phones and too may different UI's = fragmentation. It will be the downfall of Android.

I like how Apple and WP7 control the updates, and what goes on their phones. I picked up a HD7 so I can start developing for this platform. I've been doing web dev for years, iPhone, Android and now WP7. I'm excited for Microsoft and hope this OS takes off.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
thats all i was saying that the diffrent OS vershions for the same makes it REALLY annoying !! and android is essentially the only OS that does it HENCE why i think it sucks ,

sorry if i state facs pisses you off! *talking to MGarcia**
and about my spelling , OK , thats you deffence to me pissing you off?? did i insolt your Fav Android os???

and for the record there more then 2 version for android right now , some of them are still on the 1.XX vershions FOR THE RECORD!! maybe not in your country. but it mien there is.
exmaple Motorola Blure is still on the same OS as last year! , because of the blure app stops it from updating ( thast 1 example ) and the GALXI has the same problem ( not glaxie S , the glaxie )

Ether way i mgiht be A fan boy and im proud of it , atlease i dont attack people . i just give my point of view and facts on phones . and the only way you can get a thank you from any 1 is by bashing other members , GJ Mgarcia , your an ***. the simple fact that your sooo quick to defend other OS and cry about it just make you a Bigger ****** . lmao ... so keep digging your hole. im sure you would fit nicely over at Android central. dont foget to trade in your wp7

Last edited:

IamNabil

Dec 10, 2010
alanbar.us
It's amazing how worked up people get over things like this. Still, as much as I am no fanbiy, I agree that Android is a mess. I was so excited when the G1 came out, but the manufacturers and carriers saw "free" and went to town fragmenting the platform. It is true that most of the current lines of phones are on 2.1 or 2.2, but if you go back just one generation of phone, to early last year, well, if it isn't a Droid, odds are good it isn't on 2.1 yet. I have a friend who bought a new Dell Streak just three months ago. It had 1.6. She sent it back and got a Captivate, which she loves. It has great hardware, same as the focus I am typing this on, but she is miffed that she is still on 2.1 and 2.3 was just released.

IamNabil

Dec 10, 2010
alanbar.us
I am a network engineer by trade. I have Cisco, red hat, and Microsoft certifications. I KNOW technology, and most of the time, I want to ream every last drop of functionality out of my equipment. The only exception to that rule is my smart phone. I want my smartphone to be beautiful, elegant, and to just sort of work. That's what I love about my PPP, my iPhone 4, and this Focus. I just don't feel like Android is there yet. It doesn't feel elegant to me. It feels like Windows ME.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I never feel comfortable recommending phones to anyone who asks me, whether it's a straight up purchase or a "should I wait?" that you're experiencing. All I can say is look around more, have an in-depth scan (if you haven't done so already) at reviews for your filtered choice of WP7 handsets. I have never had a Samsung smart phone until now (being a previous iPhone and HTC owner), and I can tell you quite comfortably now - I'm extremely pleased with my Omnia 7.

You could regret leaving it until next year, then again you could take the leap with a WP7 handset now and regret that decision.

IamNabil

Dec 10, 2010
alanbar.us
I agree with RichEdmonds. Go to an AT&T store. Scout out two phones that you think you would be comfortable with. Buy one, use it for two weeks, and then swap it out for the other. There is no fee for it during the first 30 days. If you like the second phone more, keep it. If not, trade back for the first within that 30 days. There might be a restocking fee (I've always talked my way out of it by saying there was a problem with the technology). I do this pretty often, since I change my phone, contract, and carrier every 9 months.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
...I just don't feel like Android is there yet. It doesn't feel elegant to me. It feels like Windows ME.

Ouch, but a good comparison. I hear what you are saying, and it's pretty much true. I've owned 3 Android phones now, each from a different manufacture. Each phone is a different experience, and each with it's own issues. I'd like Android to succeed, but the carriers and phone makers are going to kill the OS with what they do with it. The Android OS itself is a stable product, it's when Motorola (Moto Blur) and Samsung (TouchWiz) start to add their own layers.

IamNabil

Dec 10, 2010
alanbar.us
Android is linux, which is to say, stable. The problem is that Google doesn't create drivers for the hardware, the manufacturers do, and I have found that often times, they just don't feel stable to me. The real Google phones, the Nexus line, has drivers coded by the folks at the G, so they are rock solid. That trickles down to the next set of phones that use the same hardware.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
That's what irritates me about Samsung though. My Fascinate is on 2.1, the Nexus S was just released with Gingerbread, 2.3. It's a pure Google phone but the same exact specs as my Fascinate. So combine the crap Samsung adds to my phone, plus all the Verizon bloatware and their apps, and you end up with a buggy phone.

I think Google needs to swallow some open source pride and pull in the reins on their Android OS when it comes to carrier customizations.

So I'm pretty happy my HD7 will probably get an update in the next few weeks, instead of waiting for months like I have been on my Fascinate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb