What do you expect to see in the first update?

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
well obviously copy and paste but i hope they bring better MMS and just more functionality to the whole os make it more mature with just little things like ring tones and what not nothing to big....

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Why can't we expect more from a phone without switching platforms. I want MMS, it isn't there yet, but I can wait to see if it's coming. Just because you don't find a need for multitasking, doesn't mean others don't. Matter of fact, it already does multitasking, with a few apps. Let's just hope MS opens it up for others. Having Last.fm stop playing when I check a email sucks.

You can expect anything you want. You can expect this phone to do everything that mature OS's can do, which is what you're doing. I'm telling you that it's only going to lead to disappointment because if they rush the process and try to make this OS compete with iOS on every level before fixing the ENORMOUS list of bugs and bare necessities that it's missing, it's going to be a complete failure.

Everyone finds a need for a phone that operates as intended. No one requires a phone that can send video via MMS. That's a nice feature, not a necessary feature. There's a HUGE difference and they need to work on the things that are important first. If they don't do that, they're going to piss off and turn off a LOT more people than the 10 people in the world that still send video via MMS. (I'm kidding, but you get my point)

Like I said, unless you can find something contradictory, I see absolutely no reason that multitasking would be on anyone's plate at MS anytime soon. The iPhone didn't have multitasking for 4 years and it was still an amazing OS without it. It's not as important as some people make it out to be. I'd rather my Last.FM stop playing when I check an email than have my Marketplace crash when I checked my email or have my ringtones glitch when I get an SMS. At least I KNOW Last.FM is going to stop playing. If you don't find reliability and dependability more important than bells and whistles, I would recommend Android as it sounds like the exact OS you want/need.

Last edited:

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You can expect anything you want. You can expect this phone to do everything that mature OS's can do, which is what you're doing. I'm telling you that it's only going to lead to disappointment because if they rush the process and try to make this OS compete with iOS on every level before fixing the ENORMOUS list of bugs and bare necessities that it's missing, it's going to be a complete failure.

Everyone finds a need for a phone that operates as intended. No one requires a phone that can send video via MMS. That's a nice feature, not a necessary feature. There's a HUGE difference and they need to work on the things that are important first. If they don't do that, they're going to piss off and turn off a LOT more people than the 10 people in the world that still send video via MMS. (I'm kidding, but you get my point)

Like I said, unless you can find something contradictory, I see absolutely no reason that multitasking would be on anyone's plate at MS anytime soon. The iPhone didn't have multitasking for 4 years and it was still an amazing OS without it. It's not as important as some people make it out to be. I'd rather my Last.FM stop playing when I check an email than have my Marketplace crash when I checked my email or have my ringtones glitch when I get an SMS. At least I KNOW Last.FM is going to stop playing. If you don't find reliability and dependability more important than bells and whistles, I would recommend Android as it sounds like the exact OS you want/need.
I've had android, not what I want. If multitasking wasn't such a big deal, then why did they flaunt Pandora, only to have to pull it because it works like **** without it. What do you mean people don't need MMS. People don't NEED games, videos, music, apps..

Sound like you need to go get a old Nokia flip phone, if your worried about Marketplace crash. If all they were doing were bug fixes, why would they wait for CES to announce bug fixes.

I know not everything can be done overnight, but some pretty basic features were left out to begin with. Regardless of what is included in the update, I won't be disappointed, because I'm not expecting anything. I'm just hoping to play catch up with the other OS's a bit.

mittortz

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I'd rather my Last.FM stop playing when I check an email than have my Marketplace crash when I checked my email or have my ringtones glitch when I get an SMS. At least I KNOW Last.FM is going to stop playing. If you don't find reliability and dependability more important than bells and whistles, I would recommend Android as it sounds like the exact OS you want/need.

This. 100x. I'm so happy to see Microsoft taking the Apple route and building a SOLID, POLISHED OS. Android sucks so much... yeah you get all those bells and whistles, but they don't even work half the time. It's not worth it - a phone is lifestyle tool more than a toy, and reliability is key. I'm gonna disagree that the list of bug fixes on WP7 is enormous, since the phone is mostly bug-free, but the two you listed are also my biggest complaints.

I think what's most important is adding "depth" (as someone else called it) to WP7. It's the little, essential usability/everyday functionality that MS needs to improve on. If you've ever used BBOS or WebOS, you'll know what I'm talking about.

What I'm really hoping for in these updates is difficult to list in terms of specific features. I'm hoping for MS to continue following Apple's polished design philosophy while adding in the robustness of WebOS. WP7 already has the unique value propositions on the table (Zune, Xbox, Office, Metro UI). Now they need to cultivate it based on the successes of more mature platforms.

EDIT: Actually, for god's sake please add GAPLESS PLAYBACK in Zune. It's pretty much considered a major "bug" at this point to have unintended gaps between tracks on a serious music player.

Last edited:

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
if we can anything more than c&p and bug fixes, i'll be shocked. in fact, if they wasted their time on the stuff people want (ie: custom ringtones and tbt navi) instead of focusing on bug fixes, i'll be upset.
I pretty much agree on all of this. Copy and paste, to the best of my recollection, is the only thing that's more or less been confirmed.

I'd wager the WP7 dev team has had around four or five months to work on this update given that the time the WP7 codebase was locked down in. That would be enough time to release an update with copy and paste, some bugfixes, and maybe a few small features like better MMS support, I'd wager. If that's all the first release is, I'd be pretty happy as it's already a pretty solid OS.

Bing voice navigation would be nice, and we see that many elements necessary for it are there. There's voice recognition, text-to-speech, and of course Bing Maps. Some form of multitasking may be revealed, but I'm not expecting much. Frankly, the core apps which do multitask serve my needs pretty well, and I'd like to see more live tile and toast notifications. And on the note of notifications, I'd love to see some sort of notification cache like with Android. If sliding a toast to the right can dismiss it, why not drag it down to see all your previous notifications?

I really think those who are looking forward to a massive update this month, especially one that they "could've called Windows Phone 7.5" are going to be sorely disappointed. I do expect us to get some teases as to what to expect in the next 6-12 months at MWC. I'd love it if one of those things were a constant (seasonal?) update schedule.

action_efn_jackson

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I just hope we see something this month. From what I remember reading MS only ever said 1st qtr.
I hope we get flash support, better mms, more multi tasking, cp, custom ring tones, I'd also like to be able to paste a pic behind my live tiles, more theme color options. Thats just to name some but I really don't care as long as any update rolls out.

Melk

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I'd like native Twitter support, turn by turn GPS, more control when editing accounts(especially the main account)

L3vi

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
hahah Thanks. I was starting to think I was in a crazy house or something.

LOL Let's worry about 7.1 before we start down the rumor trail. When it comes to rumors, we'll never be as good as the Apple guys anyway :(

that's not a rumor. That was confirmed by numerous sources.

MarcMaiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I want them to release an updated SDK which allows for developers to do more with the phone

IE: let cameras scan inside an application for bar code scanner apps.

thats aside from the obvious bug fixes

turn by turn navi would be cool :)

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
that's not a rumor. That was confirmed by numerous sources.

link to MS confirming this plz.

edit: don't get me wrong, i'm not saying it's incorrect. i'm just saying that it is a rumor by the very definition of a rumor.. unless you have something that actually backs that up, which i haven't been able to find.

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
well with the lastest rumor about the NoDo update im sure there will be more then just copy and paste and for those thinking it will be very small and wont include alot how do u know they werent already working on multitasking navigation etc before they released 1.0?

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Because they said they weren't, and simple logic would say that they have hundreds of other, more important things to work on. :)

L3vi

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
link to MS confirming this plz.

edit: don't get me wrong, i'm not saying it's incorrect. i'm just saying that it is a rumor by the very definition of a rumor.. unless you have something that actually backs that up, which i haven't been able to find.

Windows Phone 7 'Mango' update expected in late 2011 - Phone Arena

Windows Phone 7 said to be getting major 'Mango' update in August or September -- Engadget

Of course I can't provide a link directly to Microsoft, but it's quite obvious that this is in the works. I'd be really surprised if this didn't come about.

Melk

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I think it would be cool if we could set our wallpaper to what bing's background is. It would be cool having a different one every day without having to find or change one.

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Of course I can't provide a link directly to Microsoft, but it's quite obvious that this is in the works. I'd be really surprised if this didn't come about.

Again, I'm not saying the info is wrong, but that's the very definition of what a rumor is. In fact, if you follow the link trail back to ZDNet, they say right at the beginning of the article that it's only a rumor.

antiquegamer

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
hahah Thanks. I was starting to think I was in a crazy house or something.
LOL Let's worry about 7.1 before we start down the rumor trail. When it comes to rumors, we'll never be as good as the Apple guys anyway :(

No you are not alone, I agree that they should have already fix all the bugs after the first month instead of rolling them all into this Feb. update. The update should be for adding features and the bug fix should be done as they are done. It's pretty sad that the marketplace crash and buggy, the search function is crap, the zune app crash after streaming not to mention lack of gapless and smartdj (there's also glitch sound), Xbox Live is half-bake my avatar would froze in place, can't use MS points to buy stuff, lack of multiplayers ... oh and the worst part I can't listen to video using my bluetooth that I just got for Xmas because it's bug.

I recall they said several times that they don't think the phone need multitasking since they feel that the way they implements the OS make it unnecessary but I have to disagree .. there's not reason why I shouldn't be able to use app like TWiT (which is written by Microsoft employees) and back out to check something without having to start the app again let alone it should be able to keep streaming in the background.

Anyway, love the platform but it's no wonder MS is so far behind other mobile OS because they are still update their OS like old dinosaur that they are ... slow and lumbering baby step

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers