data plan w/roll over

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
AT&T has never had unlimited data. They just lowered the limit from 5GB to 2GB. That being said, I sure hope we see it.. and I hope they apply it to my now endangered 5GB plan :D I'm getting really tired of having to watch my data usage the 4th week of every month.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
That's a pretty good suggestion, action.

Sheesh, mgarcia! How do you even get close to 5GB? For the month of the Dec, my billing shows I've only used up 512mb. I think the most I've ever racked up was like 1.5GB, that's when I was streaming live NFL through Slinplayer a lot, and even did the occasional tethering when I had my Moto Q (WM6.1).

action_efn_jackson

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I think it will come. First voice plans evolved to roll over (its your minutes keep them). I see no reason why data can't. Marc @ ATT getter done!

Last edited:

MarcMaiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I think I want to get "family" data plans rolling first hahaha if you had a family plan, wouldnt you pay $50/mo for data for the whole family?. Roll over data is a great idea though...

MarcMaiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Family data I've wished for that too. Are you implying it could be in the works?

I have no idea, but it would make sense in the future to have one. Texting used to be expensive for carriers...once the cost of sending SMS became so cheap, they added family messaging. Im guessing the same could happen for data but not for a while :-\

we have a better chance at roll over data first...

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
AT&T has never had unlimited data. They just lowered the limit from 5GB to 2GB. That being said, I sure hope we see it.. and I hope they apply it to my now endangered 5GB plan :D I'm getting really tired of having to watch my data usage the 4th week of every month.
Actually, they have had unlimited for years, and I've been on unlimited since I started with them back in 2006. You can still get unlimited data for feature phones and standard handsets.

I typically average around 5GB myself. Partially via tethering, partially through on device media consumption and downloading. On Android and Windows Mobile I would download podcasts, mixes, and apps for my laptop while out so that I can copy them to my laptop later. I'm not doing that now due to OS limitations, so after this first month of massive Zune Pass download sessions, I'll probably average about 3GB a month.

Regarding roll over data, I don't think it'll happen any time soon. First off, I don't know if AT&T is even able to do this en masse. And even if they are, I wouldn't expect it until a few years down the road when limited data accounts are the norm, and people have ways of watching their usage in near real time, and the *#3282# number is far from near real time. Lastly, I forsee a lot of people who mistake megabytes for gigabytes, ignore the warning texts stating they're going over their limit, and call/visit AT&T pissed. It's a lot easier for people to visualize how many minutes they've been talking versus how many megabytes of data they've transferred.

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
AT&T has never had "unlimited" data. Their "unlimited" plans were capped at 5GB and you were charged in excess of that.. I know this because I have the "unlimited" plan and I go over on a fairly regular basis. $10/GB for anything over 5GB IIRC. I would assume they refer to it as "unlimited" because 99.9% of people will never come anywhere close to 5GB of data use in a month, with me and you being data use freaks :)

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
AT&T did have unlimited data. With my old Samsung BlackJack back in the day, I use to use around 8 - 9 gig a month without the tethering option. They never said a word. I was never charged over. I think with pretty much everyone now using a smartphone, their network can't handle the stress.

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
If you do a simple Google search, you can see they've had a 5GB limit on their unlimited plans since at least 2006.. because I remember going over it for the first time on my iPhone 2G right after launch, and fighting AT&T over it.. and losing.

If you got away with it without being charged, more power to you, but it's nothing new. Verizon's the same way.

tre-nitty

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
That's news to me because i've used over 5gb several times and never heard a peep from them. Maybe they have different situations!

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
There is a 5GB data cap and we didn't start finding out about it until around after when the first iPhone was released, because before that, there wasn't really a real need for a cap. It was well documented that iPhone and most succeeding smartphone devices after that are extremely data hungry. I think they snuck that 5GB cap in there on us and just told us that it has always been there.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
IIRC, the cap was on tethered and enterprise data plans. The smartphone unlimited and featurephone unlimited (my wording there) plans didn't have these caps. I've transferred around 15GB at max with not a peep from them. There's people over at HowardForums who've transferred 30-50GB with maybe them throttling the connection for the remainder of the billing cycle, but nothing more. I don't recommend doing that, however.

As soon as I can post a screen of my usage in OLAM, I will. Must be an issue with OLAM because I've used this build of Firefox with no issues before, but now it won't display the usage chart.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos