Unlocked phones and OS updates

win_splash

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
With all the news about Windows Phone updates that has just been released, I'm kind of curious to know if unlocked phones will receive updates before locked phones? I think they might since an unlocked phone won't be tied to any specific carrier. What worries me is ATT and their past history with testing updates, I realize Microsoft will push the updates through Zune, but how long can a carrier test an update, did Microsoft provide a time frame for testing? I hope they did! If nobody knows I guess we will find out soon, and if it turns out that unlocked phones get the updates first, I think I will be unlocking my phone only to receive updates quickly.

MarcMaiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
first off...AT&T has no history of "testing updates" unless you are referring to phones of yester year which i have no knowledge of.

The backflip got 2.1 late because of motorola, not because of AT&T.
HTC Aria never got an official 2.2 build because HTC never made one for the US version
Samsung Captivate never got 2.2 because Samsung didnt release it. In fact, non of the US galaxy S series received a 2.2 update.

I have verizon and i remember it taking the original droid very long to get the 2.1 update because of motorola, not verizon.

testing of updates take about 2 weeks at most.

anyways,

Because microsoft created a phone with strict hardware and software guidelines, any update microsoft released will go to all phones at the same time. Unless microsoft adds a feature that impacts the carrier directly (IE tethering) there is no real need for carrier testing.

win_splash

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
first off...AT&T has no history of "testing updates" unless you are referring to phones of yester year which i have no knowledge of.

The backflip got 2.1 late because of motorola, not because of AT&T.
HTC Aria never got an official 2.2 build because HTC never made one for the US version
Samsung Captivate never got 2.2 because Samsung didnt release it. In fact, non of the US galaxy S series received a 2.2 update.

I have verizon and i remember it taking the original droid very long to get the 2.1 update because of motorola, not verizon.

testing of updates take about 2 weeks at most.

anyways,

Because microsoft created a phone with strict hardware and software guidelines, any update microsoft released will go to all phones at the same time. Unless microsoft adds a feature that impacts the carrier directly (IE tethering) there is no real need for carrier testing.

I am not familiar with how android does updating, and quite frankly I don't care because I don't use android, but yes I am referring to phones of "yesteryear" or more specifically Windows Mobile (Touch Pro 2 is still for sale directly from ATT).

When I said ATT and their history of delaying updates I was referring to how they handled Windows Mobile. How updates would be handled on Windows Phone was a hot topic prior to release, primarily because of how carriers would hold back updates. Obviously, Microsoft and ATT have more at stakes now with increased competition. I'm not trying to knock ATT, I have their service and I'm happy, I'm just hoping that Microsoft set a testing window because ATT was known in the past of holding back updates.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I was in the same boat with the older windows 6.X phones. I'm hoping MS pushes things through with AT&T and other carriers. I feel your pain and I agree, this is a BIG question mark.
I am not familiar with how android does updating, and quite frankly I don't care because I don't use android, but yes I am referring to phones of "yesteryear" or more specifically Windows Mobile (Touch Pro 2 is still for sale directly from ATT).

When I said ATT and their history of delaying updates I was referring to how they handled Windows Mobile. How updates would be handled on Windows Phone was a hot topic prior to release, primarily because of how carriers would hold back updates. Obviously, Microsoft and ATT have more at stakes now with increased competition. I'm not trying to knock ATT, I have their service and I'm happy, I'm just hoping that Microsoft set a testing window because ATT was known in the past of holding back updates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett