Rumor: Update Coming November 7th

tre-nitty

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Nice but that's rly not enough. Lack of ringtones and flash is horrible. Multitasking would be nice but I'm not getting greedy. Copy/paste is nice but fix the nagging bugs like when I'm trying to type on Amazon search nothing comes up. Maybe I'm just asking for to much.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Nice but that's rly not enough. Lack of ringtones and flash is horrible. Multitasking would be nice but I'm not getting greedy. Copy/paste is nice but fix the nagging bugs like when I'm trying to type on Amazon search nothing comes up. Maybe I'm just asking for to much.

Lack of Flash, tell that to Android owners without 2.2. Even Flash running on some 2.2 devices is horrible. I think Flash isn't ready for prime time on handheld devices.

I'm with you on the ringtones though. I'm not a ringtone fanatic, but I would like more of a selection.

What happens on Amazon search? Is that on OS issue, or an Amazon issue?

Light Speed1

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Lack of Flash, tell that to Android owners without 2.2. Even Flash running on some 2.2 devices is horrible. I think Flash isn't ready for prime time on handheld devices.

I'm with you on the ringtones though. I'm not a ringtone fanatic, but I would like more of a selection.

What happens on Amazon search? Is that on OS issue, or an Amazon issue?

amazon development issue, but he enjoys blaming MS for every fault in his life.

Verizon Hopeful

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
OS Update Cycle Not Nimble at All

So the article talks about updates coming in the following schedule:
Update 1: February 2011
Update 2: September 2011
Update 3: "late 2012"
WP8: "late 2012"

No one from Microsoft is really confirming these release dates, but in the absence of facts (or at least a roadmap) from Microsoft, this seems to be the best information out there.

Now is it just me or does anybody else look at these dates and wonder what has changed from the early Microsoft Windows Mobile OS update strategy? Arguably, these dates don't include the potential several month delays that can be introduced by service providers. While the early hype about WP7 suggested that updates, fixes, etc. would be coming much more rapidly, unfortunately, it looks like corporate rigor mortis is setting in. There may be no need for an Over The Air (OTA) OS update capability with this kind of release schedule (the updates are bound to be too huge).

I hope that Microsoft is listening to app developers, but with the above schedule I don't look for a WP7 version that allows developers to target the SQL Server Compact API until September at the earliest. (This assertion is based purely on my wildest hopes and not any info from Microsoft.)

My whole point here is that I just don't see the OS updates/fixes process being as nimble as I hoped. And that doesn't bode well for Microsoft successfully competing in the mobile phone space.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Palm initially followed a very aggressive update schedule with webOS, and it didn't prove to be an advantage. I think the problem is that the update schedule for any mobile OS is at the mercy of the carriers. If you only have 1 carrier (q.v. webOS initially, iOS until Feb), it's much easier to push out updates on time. It will be interesting to see if Apple can avoid the problems that Google, Palm, RIM, and now Microsoft are having with getting all the carriers to approve updates.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Apple doesn't rely on the carriers to push their updates. It's all them. It's their OS and that's how it should be. I thought WP7 was going to be the same? If not, then we have another fragmented Android OS on out hands.

@Verizon Hopeful, I've given up on MS including SQL Server Compact edition. My iOS and Android apps can use my same SQLite DB. That is what keeps me from porting most of my apps. MS wants developers to use the Azure cloud. And that's fine, but make it free.

action_efn_jackson

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
That was a UK article. Just saying things will most likely be on a different schedule on this side of the pond.

Sent from my htc Surround using Board Express

tre-nitty

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
amazon development issue, but he enjoys blaming MS for every fault in his life.

Come on now, how do I blame M$ for my lif's problems lol. Dude the os is garbage right now and you know it. It's fresh in a sense but lacking in so many basic areas of functionality. The updates are taking to long and the nodo update should be bigger. Just because apple took a long time to implement certain features doesn't mean M$ should follow.

GP07

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I think we'll get more than just 2 updates in 2011, big or small I dunno. This delay in the first update (if there is a delay) has to be cuz of the carriers, MS wants to ship updates out to everyone so now we all have to wait because ATT or who knows who wants to be pricks about this.

*sigh*

anthonok

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I think we'll get more than just 2 updates in 2011, big or small I dunno. This delay in the first update (if there is a delay) has to be cuz of the carriers, MS wants to ship updates out to everyone so now we all have to wait because ATT or who knows who wants to be pricks about this.

*sigh*

If ANYTHING is causing the delay i will bet money its both ATT and Samsung. Put the 2 together and you get the worst possible update chance ever!

cdub66

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Ah well.

What date should we pick now? Gotta have something to look forward to.

;)

*edit* I'm saying February 28. This "7th" thing doesn't seem to be working out for us.

Last edited:

downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
No way MS gains ground if that schedule is even close. If that's the way it plays out then I'm throwing my SIM back into my iPhone 4.

Sent from my T8788 using Board Express

frankied101

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
If ANYTHING is causing the delay i will bet money its both ATT and Samsung. Put the 2 together and you get the worst possible update chance ever!
yea really but it isn't an ota update so u think the carrier has a say? The iphone just gives a date and spits it out

Sent from my LG-C900 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs