Weird text messaging issue on HTC Arrive

clemon79

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Wondering if any other WP7 owners are experiencing this.

I'm on an HTC Arrive. For some-but-not all contacts, when they text me, at the end of their message is appended "Call back at xxxxxxxxxx", where xxxxxxxxxx is their unformatted ten-digit phone number. They are not typing it themselves.

According to the manual this is to be expected, but I'm trying to figure out why it's *not* happening with everyone. I've had text conversations with people on all four major carriers, and we can't seem to isolate it to a carrier, since it happens with a friend on Sprint talking to me but not when I text to another WP7-owning friend, and I'm on Sprint as well.

If anyone has any ideas about what's going on, I'd sure appreciate knowing about them...thanks!

-- Chris

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So in the manual for the Arrive it says the phone will do that?

I have a Focus and I've never ran into such an issue.

bdattilo

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Same Issue Here

I have the same issue, and also have an Arrive. So far I have had the issue when I get texts from (some) Verizon users, and (some) Sprint users. For me it seems I only get the call back number when it is from a contact with no Facebook profile linked, but I know that is not the case for the OP....

Very odd, and very annoying at the same time.

clemon79

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Gah. I was going to suggest that it happens when both the sender and receiver are CDMA, but I have just learned that a friend is on Sprint when I didn't think she was, and I'm not getting them from her, whereas I am with a different Sprint friend.

So now I'm REALLY confused. :)

MemphisChris

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I signed up to say I have the same issue. Just got the Arrive today and had fun setting everything up. Received text messages from four different contacts so far. Two came up normal and the other two gave the callback sig. One was a BlackBerry on sprint and the other was a droid on Verizon. One linked to Facebook one not. If anyone can help please do this is driving me nuts.

bdattilo

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Here's a new one:

All the messages I have with the call back number are sent from Feature Phones. Everyone with a Smartphone does not have the callback number....

clemon79

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
All the messages I have with the call back number are sent from Feature Phones. Everyone with a Smartphone does not have the callback number....

Nice thought, but one of my friends who it is happening with has a Crackberry on Sprint. I dunno.

@WPDiddy: Exactly what I said in the first post. The text message has an extra string added to the end of it.

MemphisChris

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm still wondering what you guys are talking about. This has never happened on any text message for my Arrive.
Each SMS message from what seems like a random selection of contacts is automatically generating a signature line that reads "Call back at 9015551234" (with the contacts own number of course).

OK who's going to email Paul Thurott first?!? :)

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I had the callback number issue on my Verizon BlackBerry with no way of turning it off. Some phones would send it to me. I think this is a carrier issue/feature. I have yet to see it on ATT on my Focus.

Reactions: VernonEL

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
This Might Be It

I had the callback number issue on my Verizon BlackBerry with no way of turning it off. Some phones would send it to me. I think this is a carrier issue/feature. I have yet to see it on ATT on my Focus.

Good point GaMMa. When does the Trophy come out? Is that still a soft date? Maybe the same "feature" will happen with the Trophy.
It does seem like it may be a mobile operator thing, specific to CDMA carriers. I don't really know how the receiving device would self create a part of a SMS. (The transmitting device could obviously: signatures.)

Maybe???

sklein382

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Possible theory.

One of the things about WP7 is that it actually matters if someone's mobile number is saved as "home" "work" "mobile" or one of those other categories in that it does not give you the option to initiate a text with anything but mobile numbers. This makes sense in theory, but in practice most people do not have their contacts organized that meticulously.

Maybe these are coming from entries that are not labeled "mobile" so the phone is assuming that you cannot text to that number. I do not know for sure, just a thought.

Reactions: VernonEL

bdattilo

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Possible theory.

Maybe these are coming from entries that are not labeled "mobile" so the phone is assuming that you cannot text to that number. I do not know for sure, just a thought.

Unfortunately this is not he case for me, all of my contacts are labeled "mobile"

clemon79

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes, me too, I have definite examples of it happening on people who are labelled "mobile". (And with other people who are not.)

So far the most solid theory is that this is a CDMA thing and it happens when a) both parties are CDMA and b) only on the Windows Phone side. Unfortunately I have an instance where it's not happening with a friend on Touch Pro 2 on Sprint, but she's also not running stock in the least, so that might not be solid data. Does anyone else know people who are FOR SURE on Sprint who it isn't happening with? (Hell, or Verizon?)

Tonight I did send a text to an AT&T friend's WP7 phone and sent one back with his, and it was nowhere to be seen on either end. Same thing with a T-Mo friend this morning. I have yet to see it happen with a known-GSM customer.

Obviously, some more CDMA phones in the wild would be useful for testing this. :)

wizll

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
This isn't exactly an issue afaik. I've received text from some friends like that on my old Palm Pre. They are on Verizon and use a droid incredible or some flavor of that sort. I still get that from the same people on my HTC Arrive, so it didn't seem at all odd to me.

I think it's some setting that the person sending the text has set on.

mock19

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I have texted friends from my Arrive who have a AT&T focus, sprint evo, tmobile optimus....not seen this issue yet. Could just be verizon?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster