Shop Holiday deals at:Amazon | Walmart | Best Buy | Microsoft | Dell

04-05-2011 06:46 AM
75 123
tools
    I love my Android phone, but I have to say, the upgrade process for it was *miserable*. People can complain about NoDo all they want, but the fact is that in order to update my little Hero, I had to hack my phone. It took hours of research, advice gathering, misfires (no, the one-click root processes do NOT work for every phone), etc. etc. etc. and broke my warranty in the process.

Now that I am well practiced at it and confident in my ability to mod my phone without bricking it, it's much easier, but anyone who thinks that the process of updating on Android is flawless and easy needs to take a good long look in the mirror before they call anyone else delusional.
    03-30-2011 08:27 AM
    You want me to get deeply psychological on you.

Because I can tell you sir...you change your ROMS daily....because you truly, deep inside, hate Android.

You look at your home screen.....and it saddens you. In such ways you haven't felt since your family split up and your dog died. It saddens you so much, that the only way y know how to deal with it, is to put on another ROM in hopes that, THIS ROM, TODAY, THIS ROM THAT YOU INSTALL will satisfy the inner depths of your soul. And yet, every damn day, you still feel empty and grey inside. You hate Android because it's sloppy, and all of customization just distracts you until the next day when you can feel the darkness inside you no longer.
    Sorry but that was lame. Anyway you say you got bored with cyanogen but 2 boring screens on wp7 don't bore you. Yeah ok, i don't believe that for a second. Also people say ringtones are pointless but thats because you don't have them. Sorry but a screen with some ridiculous battery draining tiles and the other screen with a page with a long list of apps is what ya'll call better. Ok well enjoy that. Good luck with everyone getting nodo. I have gingerbread on mine and my CPU is overclocked to 1.8 ghz. BTW I can tether for free with my android or ios. Good luck again with those 2 screens, no ability to send mms, no tethering, no 4g, no dual core, I could go on.
    03-30-2011 10:16 AM
    Sorry but that was lame. Anyway you say you got bored with cyanogen but 2 boring screens on wp7 don't bore you. Yeah ok, i don't believe that for a second. Also people say ringtones are pointless but thats because you don't have them. Sorry but a screen with some ridiculous battery draining tiles and the other screen with a page with a long list of apps is what ya'll call better. Ok well enjoy that. Good luck with everyone getting nodo. I have gingerbread on mine and my CPU is overclocked to 1.8 ghz. BTW I can tether for free with my android or ios. Good luck again with those 2 screens, no ability to send mms, no tethering, no 4g, no dual core, I could go on.
    Just because you think the tiles are boring doesn't mean everybody else does to. I personally find that icons look boring and somewhat outdated. I also think that 7 home screens is just unnecessary but this is just MY PERSONAL OPINION. IT sounds like you want your phone to be more of a pc than a phone.
    03-30-2011 11:27 AM
    Ive never liked how boring early android looked, or how cluttered it looks now.
    03-30-2011 11:31 AM

Well about the two screens, simplicity is beauty to some. Ringtones... When I had my Droid I never used ringtones the only thing I would use was the "DROOOIID!!" notification sound for txt mms email n voicemail and I'm sure more people are like that as well so, no we're not just saying that "cuz we dont have them". Tiles drain much much less power than widgets because they aren't always busy trying to get nice animations or a constant flow of large amounts of data going to them. Tiles, for the most part are just simple notification methods again simplicity is beauty. That is the whole point of Metro UI; glanceable info. The long list of apps is a fault but no OS is perfect. I already have NoDo on both my HD7's and so do a lot of other people, so that already makes the update process better than Android's people were frustrated with Microsoft's lack of transparency on the issue not the update process itself. Oh you have gingerbread? So you obviously had to root your phone as opposed to a proper update process huh? Well that's cool too I guess. 1.8 CPU overclock?! Sheesh good luck with battery life and not trying to fry it, but hey if it gives you the illusion of that awful touchscreen lag not being there then by god OC your CPU to a fried death, while we WP7 owners enjoy hardware acceleration with silky smoooooth scrolling and extremely fast app launching. As for the rest of your list it isnt there but that is simply because of an infant OS, Microsoft could've waited one more year to make sure it launches with backwards compatible apps and full feature parity with Android and iOS but by then they would've gained far too much market share and nobody may have been interested. They took their bet with early adopters and i think they're handling it pretty well. Of course as mentioned before, Android stole code for their kernel and leave OEMs to believe because the OS is free, everything else would come with it, and when they find out the hard way via a lawsuit, Google is nowhere to be found. They turn and its like crickets in the night lmao. I know WP7 isnt the hottest selling smartphone out there yet but that's why i know people dont have a hard time calling it the best.
    nrfitchett4 likes this.
    03-30-2011 12:20 PM
    Im not sure if you've seen the inspire in action but neither that or my captivate had lag whatsoever.
    03-30-2011 02:01 PM
    Sorry, but every Galaxy S device - including the Captivate and Epic 4G - have some lag. Very smooth scrolling 90-95 percent of the time. But they do lag.

This is a silly battle no one can "win". I had Android, iOS, and WebOS. All have their benefits. i would rank some better than others. I like WP7 best right now.
    03-30-2011 03:41 PM
    It's tough for Android owners (like I used to be) to understand just what "lagging" is. I had an Evo and thought it was smooth and buttery, but then I put it next to an iPhone4 - and was blown away at just how much smoother and responsive the iPhone was compared to my Evo. Same reaction with Epic, Fascinate, etc. Android seems really, really snappy until you directly compare it to a device that is snappier. WP7 and iOS are both much smoother than even stock Android.

Sorry, but every Galaxy S device - including the Captivate and Epic 4G - have some lag. Very smooth scrolling 90-95 percent of the time. But they do lag.

This is a silly battle no one can "win". I had Android, iOS, and WebOS. All have their benefits. i would rank some better than others. I like WP7 best right now.
    03-30-2011 04:02 PM
    It's tough for Android owners (like I used to be) to understand just what "lagging" is. I had an Evo and thought it was smooth and buttery, but then I put it next to an iPhone4 - and was blown away at just how much smoother and responsive the iPhone was compared to my Evo. Same reaction with Epic, Fascinate, etc. Android seems really, really snappy until you directly compare it to a device that is snappier. WP7 and iOS are both much smoother than even stock Android.

Yeah that's true. I learned why exactly it happens, Google has failed to attempt to implement hardware acceleration in any way for the OS, apps yeah, like I believe the gallery app made by cooliris is hardware accelerated and that is pretty responsive, kinda, well at least more so than the OS. I remember when the atrix was touted the most powerful Android phone, went to an ATT store and walked out less than five minutes later after seeing the painful lag on the all-powerful dual-core processing beast that is supposed to be the atrix but fails miserably to feel as fluid as WP7. I've seen so many developers ask for hardware acceleration since just before 2.0 eclair and they haven't done sh!t about it yet, probably because they still wanna keep the OS as "*****-y" as possible so to speak. With the amount of devices you can slap Android on, Apple would give smartphone marketshare away before this would happen. Lmao
    03-30-2011 04:24 PM
    Sorry but a screen with some ridiculous battery draining tiles and the other screen with a page with a long list of apps is what ya'll call better. Ok well enjoy that. Good luck with everyone getting nodo. I have gingerbread on mine and my CPU is overclocked to 1.8 ghz.
    Wait a sec, so you complain about 'battery-draining tiles' and in the very same post you advocate overclocking? And on a platform that has widgets that drain the battery even more. It appears you're just trolling.

WP7 (unlike Android) was designed with specific hardware in mind so you don't have to overclock it to get a smooth experience. The reason is that WP7 can take advantage of GPU hardware acceleration, whereas Android (by virtue of its ability to run on pretty much any device) uses the CPU do many of those GPU tasks meaning you need a much more powerful (or overclocked) CPU to achieve results even close to those of hardware accelerated platforms.
    Last edited by exomondo; 03-30-2011 at 06:56 PM.
    03-30-2011 06:40 PM
    Wait a sec, so you complain about 'battery-draining tiles' and in the very same post you advocate overclocking? And on a platform that has widgets that drain the battery even more. It appears you're just trolling.

WP7 (unlike Android) was designed with specific hardware in mind so you don't have to overclock it to get a smooth experience. The reason is that WP7 can take advantage of GPU hardware acceleration, whereas Android (by virtue of its ability to run on pretty much any device) uses the CPU do many of those GPU tasks meaning you need a much more powerful (or overclocked) CPU to achieve results even close to those of hardware accelerated platforms.
    My battery in my inspire lasts from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm with no problem. I've had wp7 focus and surround and i currently own an iPhone 4 and HTC inspire and I'm telling y'all I have no lag problems overclocked or not. Go to phonedog.com and look at reviews and it'll show how smooth both OS systems are. Wp7 shouldn't have lag because there is nothing to the phone. So just keep thinking I'm trolling but I stick by my views that android and ios are far superior to wp7. I would've said nothing had the op not started that bs about wp7 being better.
    03-30-2011 07:10 PM
    This is a silly battle no one can "win".
    +1
    Agreed

It's so pointless to tell somebody there OPINION is wrong(looking at you tre-nitty lol)
    03-30-2011 07:38 PM
    My battery in my inspire lasts from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm with no problem.
    I wouldn't argue with that.

I've had wp7 focus and surround and i currently own an iPhone 4 and HTC inspire and I'm telling y'all I have no lag problems overclocked or not.
    It's very obvious in the pinch zoom in the browser (for comparison i was using a Nexus S and Omnia7). And really if UI lag wasn't a problem on android then you wouldn't see so many threads about it, there is SO much discussion in the community about UI lag and when GPU acceleration will come to fix the problem.

Wp7 shouldn't have lag because there is nothing to the phone.
    What about those 'battery-draining' tiles? See you're contradicting yourself again.

So just keep thinking I'm trolling but I stick by my views that android and ios are far superior to wp7.
    Anyone who continually contradicts himself/herself in an argument has a biased agenda.

I would've said nothing had the op not started that bs about wp7 being better.
    Did you miss my post about understanding that the word 'better' is subjective?

So have another read and you'll see that he/she:
    Prefers live tiles to widgets.
    Doesn't miss the customization.
    Can get all the apps he/she needs on WP7.
    Has had a better experience on specific devices than others.

In light of those details - which he/she is very forthcoming about - you would have to conclude that WP7 is better. You've countered that conclusion with things like widgets and customization which the OP clearly stated have not value to him/her, so obviously such things are irrelevant.
    03-30-2011 07:55 PM
    It's like this bro.

I have an Incredible, beautiful screen, fast processor, and it's rooted to Gingerbread. I'm tired of Andriod's mess scheme. I'd like to put my favorite bands on the homescreen with dynamic pictures. It's nice and tiled so I can keep it neat.

Few Android widgets fit a uniform design, and I like that I can keep everything tidy.

Plus, just straight up for a pure design and typography nerd stand point, you just can't get any better.
    PhilR8 likes this.
    03-30-2011 08:39 PM
    Im not sure if you've seen the inspire in action but neither that or my captivate had lag whatsoever.
    My wife has the vibrant and I had to root and install a "one click lag fix" to get it to stop lagging on scrolling. The dev even explains why the galaxy s phones do it.

My battery in my inspire lasts from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm with no problem. I've had wp7 focus and surround and i currently own an iPhone 4 and HTC inspire and I'm telling y'all I have no lag problems overclocked or not. Go to phonedog.com and look at reviews and it'll show how smooth both OS systems are. Wp7 shouldn't have lag because there is nothing to the phone. So just keep thinking I'm trolling but I stick by my views that android and ios are far superior to wp7. I would've said nothing had the op not started that bs about wp7 being better.
    The OP was stating his OPINION about wp7, on a wp7 forum. It would be different if he was over on androidcentral saying the same thing.

Why do android owners feel the need to come over here and bash wp7??? If you don't like it, fine, move on. You are not proving anything by coming here.
    eric12341 likes this.
    03-31-2011 06:17 AM
    I just moved from Android after 2 years to W7P and I can say that my experience has improved.

few things I saw mentioned in this thread:

screensavers: Wut? Seen all kinds of lock screens and live wallpapers.. but never a screensaver

5-7 home screens: I'm not sure I understand how this is superior to W7P? are we talking tile vs icons or because you need the 5-7 to fit widgets? I always found performance to crash around 3.

ability to root phone: yeah, but you need to... some features aren't available on some phones unless you do. And i'm not talking features added in custom roms I mean stock Android features

overclocking the cpu: eh. I never noticed a huge difference. Always had issues with Kernels anyway. Battery Killer, decreasing hardware life, etc. Android just doesn't feel optimized.

multitasking: This has always been planned for Mango. so moot

Google integration: I think I get what you mean by this I just don't understand what you think the advantages are over W7P. Please explain, I really am curious.

faster web browsing: yeah, maybe so long as you aren't using the stock browser. was running 2.3.3 when I left Android and it was still god awful. Had to use Opera/Dolphin.

I change my roms daily: Yep, killing nand in the name of trying to find what isn't there. I hope you have a JTAG around also... esp for when you have to get spl/radio just right for roms.

ridiculous mod developer support: for Androids ridiculous fragmentation? And its going to get more complicated with 2.3/2.4/tablets plus they will not be releasing the source for honeycomb.

Sloppy list as I do not have much time to write this at the moment. I will probably come back to this as there are plenty more issues that can be identified.
    PhilR8 and eric12341 like this.
    03-31-2011 12:13 PM
    I just moved from Android after 2 years to W7P and I can say that my experience has improved.

few things I saw mentioned in this thread:

screensavers: Wut? Seen all kinds of lock screens and live wallpapers.. but never a screensaver

5-7 home screens: I'm not sure I understand how this is superior to W7P? are we talking tile vs icons or because you need the 5-7 to fit widgets? I always found performance to crash around 3.

ability to root phone: yeah, but you need to... some features aren't available on some phones unless you do. And i'm not talking features added in custom roms I mean stock Android features

overclocking the cpu: eh. I never noticed a huge difference. Always had issues with Kernels anyway. Battery Killer, decreasing hardware life, etc. Android just doesn't feel optimized.

multitasking: This has always been planned for Mango. so moot

Google integration: I think I get what you mean by this I just don't understand what you think the advantages are over W7P. Please explain, I really am curious.

faster web browsing: yeah, maybe so long as you aren't using the stock browser. was running 2.3.3 when I left Android and it was still god awful. Had to use Opera/Dolphin.

I change my roms daily: Yep, killing nand in the name of trying to find what isn't there. I hope you have a JTAG around also... esp for when you have to get spl/radio just right for roms.

ridiculous mod developer support: for Androids ridiculous fragmentation? And its going to get more complicated with 2.3/2.4/tablets plus they will not be releasing the source for honeycomb.

Sloppy list as I do not have much time to write this at the moment. I will probably come back to this as there are plenty more issues that can be identified.
    As stated, if you like your live tiles and long app list then be my guest but wp7 is garbage. I know lots of you early adopters get butt hurt when you see android and ios getting kick *** devices and crazy customization and you can't even get nodo(talk about sloppy upgrades) but prove me wrong otherwise kill the thread.
    03-31-2011 02:20 PM
    As stated, if you like your live tiles and long app list then be my guest but wp7 is garbage.
    It seems you need some help understanding that people have different needs given you're continually posting these rubbish comments and making yourself look stupid. You see if you like live tiles and prefer an app list over an app grid then obviously WP7 is the superior choice.

If you want extensive customization and widgets then obviously WP7 and iOS aren't going to be for you because they aren't designed with that in mind, but the great thing is there is a platform for this, Android.

You don't seem to be able to grasp the concept that not everyone has the same values, wants and needs as you, demonstrated by the fact that you're making comments like 'wp7 is garbage' without basing them on objective facts, instead basing them on your subjective views.

All platforms have their strengths, weaknesses and unique features, this doesn't make any platform overall 'better' or 'garbage', it depends on the individual which - in the case of the OP - valued the benefits of WP7 and was not interested in the benefits of Android.

I can perfectly understand if it's 'not for you', based on what you're saying it seems you have a personal preference for the Android features over the WP7 features, that doesn't make the WP7 features defective in any way, just that the platform doesn't suit your needs, which is why we have 'choice', and that's great, it means people with different preferences can choose a product that suits them rather than all platforms being the same.
    Last edited by exomondo; 03-31-2011 at 07:43 PM.
    03-31-2011 07:31 PM
    As stated, if you like your live tiles and long app list then be my guest but wp7 is garbage. I know lots of you early adopters get butt hurt when you see android and ios getting kick *** devices and crazy customization and you can't even get nodo(talk about sloppy upgrades) but prove me wrong otherwise kill the thread.
    I like what you're doing here, bashing the platform on a WP7 forum to try and provoke as many people as possible. Thing is, the majority of active folk here are mature adults and have continuously risen against your posts with simple shoot-down replies and evidence of your contradictory word usage.

I just have to address the "long app list", as (as far as I'm aware) Android has the exact same feature. Albeit you have the list in [another] grid format, but you certainly have a list of all the apps installed. Difference between WP7 and Android with the app list? We have all our games neatly grouped in Xbox Live hub. Ah yes, because we have true Xbox Live integration, do you? I say this because there are literally millions of gamers who'd certainly be attracted to the OS by this degree of integration with the service.

We aren't actually fussed by Android and iOS devices, IMO the Android tablets are horrible (I'm an iPad 2 owner), I've had 2 Android phones, HTC Hero was nice and the Wildfire was awfully sluggish with your "awesome home screens!" Good thing here with WP7? Hardware requirements, 1Ghz processor etc. and it all runs smoothly on each and every device. Sure, we have some lower-end devices such as the Trophy, but at least they don't have a negative impact on the user experience.

Crazy customisations? Ah, you mean we all laugh and giggle at how we're more than happy with Metro UI, yet you all have to install a Metro UI to get the WP7 look? I'm sure that's what you meant by crazy customisation, right?

NoDo: People already have NoDo, I really don't see your argument here, in fact there is none. I really am gratefully sorry that you have to wait months for your carrier and manufacturer to add bloatware to the ROM updates and still it's more fragmented after each release and while all of us will be running NoDo at some point before Summer, you will have numbers on 1.6, 2.1, 2.2, 3.0 (or whatever the versions have been).

As for killing the thread? Why? This is a WP7 forum. This is a WP7 discussion thread. This is a discussion about you making yourself look ridiculous by, a) contradicting yourself and b) putting forward unimaginable statements that are either misinformed, untrue, or complete fail. We don't have "fanboys", we have people who are passionate about technology and has adapted to the platform in everyday life. We don't have to go to Android forums and continuously bash the OS, we're happy with Android, it's a clear marker as to where WP7 needs to head and better the competition. We're also happy with iOS for the exact same reason. I really am sorry you're not receiving the "OMG YOU NOOB, AHHH YOUR SUCH A $%!" responses you dream of, but to be honest, we don't take kind to people who go around forums getting turned on by aggravating members.

I'll leave you with my view of Android in one sentence - fragmented like a Windows 98 machine that hasn't been rebooted in 10 years.
    04-01-2011 05:37 AM
    I like what you're doing here, bashing the platform on a WP7 forum to try and provoke as many people as possible. Thing is, the majority of active folk here are mature adults and have continuously risen against your posts with simple shoot-down replies and evidence of your contradictory word usage.

I just have to address the "long app list", as (as far as I'm aware) Android has the exact same feature. Albeit you have the list in [another] grid format, but you certainly have a list of all the apps installed. Difference between WP7 and Android with the app list? We have all our games neatly grouped in Xbox Live hub. Ah yes, because we have true Xbox Live integration, do you? I say this because there are literally millions of gamers who'd certainly be attracted to the OS by this degree of integration with the service.

We aren't actually fussed by Android and iOS devices, IMO the Android tablets are horrible (I'm an iPad 2 owner), I've had 2 Android phones, HTC Hero was nice and the Wildfire was awfully sluggish with your "awesome home screens!" Good thing here with WP7? Hardware requirements, 1Ghz processor etc. and it all runs smoothly on each and every device. Sure, we have some lower-end devices such as the Trophy, but at least they don't have a negative impact on the user experience.

Crazy customisations? Ah, you mean we all laugh and giggle at how we're more than happy with Metro UI, yet you all have to install a Metro UI to get the WP7 look? I'm sure that's what you meant by crazy customisation, right?

NoDo: People already have NoDo, I really don't see your argument here, in fact there is none. I really am gratefully sorry that you have to wait months for your carrier and manufacturer to add bloatware to the ROM updates and still it's more fragmented after each release and while all of us will be running NoDo at some point before Summer, you will have numbers on 1.6, 2.1, 2.2, 3.0 (or whatever the versions have been).

As for killing the thread? Why? This is a WP7 forum. This is a WP7 discussion thread. This is a discussion about you making yourself look ridiculous by, a) contradicting yourself and b) putting forward unimaginable statements that are either misinformed, untrue, or complete fail. We don't have "fanboys", we have people who are passionate about technology and has adapted to the platform in everyday life. We don't have to go to Android forums and continuously bash the OS, we're happy with Android, it's a clear marker as to where WP7 needs to head and better the competition. We're also happy with iOS for the exact same reason. I really am sorry you're not receiving the "OMG YOU NOOB, AHHH YOUR SUCH A $%!" responses you dream of, but to be honest, we don't take kind to people who go around forums getting turned on by aggravating members.

I'll leave you with my view of Android in one sentence - fragmented like a Windows 98 machine that hasn't been rebooted in 10 years.
    lets just stop feeding the troll IMO.

This argument always defaults back to how Android and iOS are superior because of homescreens and having to root/hack/jailbreak/void warranty/ and risk bricking your device to get the customizations. Also, the tethering, MMS, blah blah.. right.. iOS didnt get any of these things until iOS 3.0 and 4.0 for its wannabe multitasking and Android 1.6 wasnt exactly busting at the seams with features either.

the biggest statement to note here is: "I change my roms daily" this really says it all.
    04-01-2011 02:39 PM
    ++++1

p0wnd
    04-01-2011 03:52 PM
    the biggest statement to note here is: "I change my roms daily" this really says it all.
    lol I agree with that 100%. When I had my Droid I was one of the flash a rom a day people. I thought it was so cool. Then I realized I was doing it because I wasn't happy with the phone. I switched to the My Touch 4G, thinking that having HTC Sense would solve all the problems I had with Android. While it did address my concerns about it being ugly, everything else remained. And anyone who thinks that Android is as smooth as Windows Phone 7 or iOS has never speant an appriciable amount of time with either OS.

And as I stated in my OP (that proves I'm more open minded than our troll), while I feel WP7 is better (subjective) I can definitely see Android being better for some people (just not most).
    04-01-2011 04:47 PM
    ++++1

p0wnd
    +2
    this has all been entertaining to read
    04-01-2011 04:51 PM
    Anyone who thinks that Android is as smooth as Windows Phone 7 or iOS has never spent an appreciable amount of time with either OS.

100% Agree with this. With the CPU handling everything including the UI, Android is most definitely NOT as responsive as hardware accelerated OS's like WP7 and iOS.
    04-01-2011 05:24 PM
    Now lets look at the so called mature adults. You are calling me a troll(which btw is really lame), and your saying I got pwned because I change my roms daily. It's my opinion that wp7 sucks and i'll tell anyone who asks me the same. So you say you can integrate xbl, whoop di do. I change roms everyday because I can. The nodo update has been a disaster whether you Microsoft fans wanna admit it or not. So you say wp7 has no lag, think about it, it has absolutely nothing that could slow it down, its 2 screens. Hey if y'all like wp7 then great but the OS is trash imo like I've said. I tried a focus and a surround and I sold them after 3-4 days of use. It's a boring but clean ui, it just has no growth value imo. I'll stick with my iPhone 4 and inspire.
    04-01-2011 06:46 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD