My experiences on an HD7 coming from Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok sure. Ringtones, widgets(real), screensaver, 5-7 home screens, ability to root your phone to overclock the CPU for faster performance, apps, multitasking, copy/paste, Google integration, faster web browsing, I change my roms daily, can you, ridiculous mod developer support, is that enough. Listen if you like wp7 that's fine but to say its better than android or ios is just unreal.

I think you're neglecting the fact that 'better' is subjective, no platform is everything to everyone so no platform is 'better' for everyone.

For some iOS is 'better' because it has lockdown which results in smooth and timely updating and a general good user experience based on the 'appliance' model. Though for hacking it is far from ideal, it lacks device choice but provides a consistent UX. Personally i chose an iOS tablet for those reasons, i don't want to hack it.

For some Android is 'better' because it allows customization and hacking of just about everything, not to mention true multitasking, widgets, etc... The downside is the platform is very fragmented and i have to look at (and understand) individual device specs to determine how well Android - and apps - are going to run on it, leading to an inconsistent UX across devices.

For some WP7 is 'better' because it provides unique features like Office, Sharepoint, XBL, Zune, Live Tiles, etc... and provides a consistent UX across devices because of the licensing requirements. Though it does lack many features of other platforms.

So you can see it depends on what features you value and when someone makes a broad statement like '$OS is better' this is a subjective view based on that user's needs and wants and won't necessarily correlate to your view of what is 'better'.

Reactions: Rich Edmonds

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You want me to get deeply psychological on you.

Because I can tell you sir...you change your ROMS daily....because you truly, deep inside, hate Android.

You look at your home screen.....and it saddens you. In such ways you haven't felt since your family split up and your dog died. It saddens you so much, that the only way you know how to deal with it, is to put on another ROM in hopes that, THIS ROM, TODAY, THIS ROM THAT YOU INSTALL will satisfy the inner depths of your soul. And yet, every damn day, you still feel empty and grey inside. You hate Android because it's sloppy, and all of customization just distracts you until the next day when you can feel the darkness inside you no longer.

Yup yeah yeah mhmm... This is all too true, it took me an entire year to figure that out. I had a droid (original) and was always on the bleeding edge of ROMs, Kernels and themes, but yet through all of this, I hated, HATED, the fu?k outta the lag in scrolling and pinch zooming. Went from setting to setting, ROM to ROM but nothing solved it. What finally did me in was the fact that I love my music and it had the most horrendous music player and no specialized service for it (doubleTwist is a joke) even the new 3.0 player isn't as nice as Zune. Okay overkill on the music player lol but it is how I feel. The next thing is I fu?kin love me some Xbox360 'n' Live!! So it was too cool when I saw the Xbox live integration (this was what first turned my eyes to it actually). So i started to think about how cool it would be to have the whole Zune experience, I started watching videos and was impressed with the responsiveness. So I decided to just get it. I can't believe i was torn between this and a G2 lmao I would probably still be miserably flashing ROMs lol, I remember one big counter point to the HD7 was "damn but the G2 has 4G" where I really ROFLMFAO'd was when my friend got the G2 and we did speed comparisons in a 4G area and i beat him 1/3 times however the other two thirds his was only higher by less than 150 kbps lol. I now know I made a good choice :)

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
At least wp7 are made from a self created kernel and not from stolen code like Android. And wp7 is also more secure than Android meaning that I don't have to worry about having to install an antivirus on my phone. But seriously this site is going to end up like ZDNet if these fandroids and webPOS fanboys don't stop trolling.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok sure. Ringtones, widgets(real), screensaver, 5-7 home screens, ability to root your phone to overclock the CPU for faster performance, apps, multitasking, copy/paste, Google integration, faster web browsing, I change my roms daily, can you, ridiculous mod developer support, is that enough. Listen if you like wp7 that's fine but to say its better than android or ios is just unreal.
Ringtones - who gives a damn? It rings, you pick up, job done.
Widgets - like the above, we have live tiles and don't require horrible widgets.
Screensaver - it's a mobile phone, not a PC.
Home screens - why do we need home screens? We don't have the copied grid design ;)
Apps - have you heard of the Marketplace? Quality over quantity, sir.
Multi-tasking - software or true? Software is coming in update and true will come with dual cores.
Copy/Paste - same as above, it's coming and isn't even a necessity.
Google Integration - we have apps for that, and an article covering how to. We also have true Live and Facebook integration.

Just a few listed. Try again. Sure, WP7 is by no means competing with iOS or Android (debatable) but it's early days. If we're going to go by releases, we're winning.

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site

I'm not sure if you are listing positives or negatives for android...
1. Ringtones- are you 12??? If not, you will probably be ok if you phone isn't blaring the latest lady gaga song every 5 minutes.
2. Widgets- I can probably open and close my apps faster than you can get to and use your widgets
3. Screensaver- its called a lockscreen, when its not on, I want the homescreen, not a battery killing animation.
4. Why do you need that many homescreens? You can only use 1 at a time and more than 3 just slows you down.
5. Ability to root your phone... You have to root your phone to make it work right. That's not a good thing. Overclocking cpu leads to bad battery life and dead phone.
6. What apps are we missing? Besides TBT nav, I can't think of any.
7. We have multitasking for core apps, more to come later this year (to all phones, not just a select few)
8. C/P- we have that...
9. Google integration- Is that a good thing? I don't want to be integrated with google, they harass me with ads.
10. Don't want to flash my phone daily, little fad I had to do because winmo stock was bad.
11. Great legit developer support. Quality of apps is night and day better on wp7. I don't have to find apps throughout the internet or worry an app I install is going to be malware.

Did I miss anything???

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I love my Android phone, but I have to say, the upgrade process for it was *miserable*. People can complain about NoDo all they want, but the fact is that in order to update my little Hero, I had to hack my phone. It took hours of research, advice gathering, misfires (no, the one-click root processes do NOT work for every phone), etc. etc. etc. and broke my warranty in the process.

Now that I am well practiced at it and confident in my ability to mod my phone without bricking it, it's much easier, but anyone who thinks that the process of updating on Android is flawless and easy needs to take a good long look in the mirror before they call anyone else delusional.

tre-nitty

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You want me to get deeply psychological on you.

Because I can tell you sir...you change your ROMS daily....because you truly, deep inside, hate Android.

You look at your home screen.....and it saddens you. In such ways you haven't felt since your family split up and your dog died. It saddens you so much, that the only way y know how to deal with it, is to put on another ROM in hopes that, THIS ROM, TODAY, THIS ROM THAT YOU INSTALL will satisfy the inner depths of your soul. And yet, every damn day, you still feel empty and grey inside. You hate Android because it's sloppy, and all of customization just distracts you until the next day when you can feel the darkness inside you no longer.

Sorry but that was lame. Anyway you say you got bored with cyanogen but 2 boring screens on wp7 don't bore you. Yeah ok, i don't believe that for a second. Also people say ringtones are pointless but thats because you don't have them. Sorry but a screen with some ridiculous battery draining tiles and the other screen with a page with a long list of apps is what ya'll call better. Ok well enjoy that. Good luck with everyone getting nodo. I have gingerbread on mine and my CPU is overclocked to 1.8 ghz. BTW I can tether for free with my android or ios. Good luck again with those 2 screens, no ability to send mms, no tethering, no 4g, no dual core, I could go on.

jtn05

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Sorry but that was lame. Anyway you say you got bored with cyanogen but 2 boring screens on wp7 don't bore you. Yeah ok, i don't believe that for a second. Also people say ringtones are pointless but thats because you don't have them. Sorry but a screen with some ridiculous battery draining tiles and the other screen with a page with a long list of apps is what ya'll call better. Ok well enjoy that. Good luck with everyone getting nodo. I have gingerbread on mine and my CPU is overclocked to 1.8 ghz. BTW I can tether for free with my android or ios. Good luck again with those 2 screens, no ability to send mms, no tethering, no 4g, no dual core, I could go on.

Just because you think the tiles are boring doesn't mean everybody else does to. I personally find that icons look boring and somewhat outdated. I also think that 7 home screens is just unnecessary but this is just MY PERSONAL OPINION. IT sounds like you want your phone to be more of a pc than a phone.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Well about the two screens, simplicity is beauty to some. Ringtones... When I had my Droid I never used ringtones the only thing I would use was the "DROOOIID!!" notification sound for txt mms email n voicemail and I'm sure more people are like that as well so, no we're not just saying that "cuz we dont have them". Tiles drain much much less power than widgets because they aren't always busy trying to get nice animations or a constant flow of large amounts of data going to them. Tiles, for the most part are just simple notification methods again simplicity is beauty. That is the whole point of Metro UI; glanceable info. The long list of apps is a fault but no OS is perfect. I already have NoDo on both my HD7's and so do a lot of other people, so that already makes the update process better than Android's people were frustrated with Microsoft's lack of transparency on the issue not the update process itself. Oh you have gingerbread? So you obviously had to root your phone as opposed to a proper update process huh? Well that's cool too I guess. 1.8 CPU overclock?! Sheesh good luck with battery life and not trying to fry it, but hey if it gives you the illusion of that awful touchscreen lag not being there then by god OC your CPU to a fried death, while we WP7 owners enjoy hardware acceleration with silky smoooooth scrolling and extremely fast app launching. As for the rest of your list it isnt there but that is simply because of an infant OS, Microsoft could've waited one more year to make sure it launches with backwards compatible apps and full feature parity with Android and iOS but by then they would've gained far too much market share and nobody may have been interested. They took their bet with early adopters and i think they're handling it pretty well. Of course as mentioned before, Android stole code for their kernel and leave OEMs to believe because the OS is free, everything else would come with it, and when they find out the hard way via a lawsuit, Google is nowhere to be found. They turn and its like crickets in the night lmao. I know WP7 isnt the hottest selling smartphone out there yet but that's why i know people dont have a hard time calling it the best.

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but every Galaxy S device - including the Captivate and Epic 4G - have some lag. Very smooth scrolling 90-95 percent of the time. But they do lag.

This is a silly battle no one can "win". I had Android, iOS, and WebOS. All have their benefits. i would rank some better than others. I like WP7 best right now.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
It's tough for Android owners (like I used to be) to understand just what "lagging" is. I had an Evo and thought it was smooth and buttery, but then I put it next to an iPhone4 - and was blown away at just how much smoother and responsive the iPhone was compared to my Evo. Same reaction with Epic, Fascinate, etc. Android seems really, really snappy until you directly compare it to a device that is snappier. WP7 and iOS are both much smoother than even stock Android.

Sorry, but every Galaxy S device - including the Captivate and Epic 4G - have some lag. Very smooth scrolling 90-95 percent of the time. But they do lag.

This is a silly battle no one can "win". I had Android, iOS, and WebOS. All have their benefits. i would rank some better than others. I like WP7 best right now.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It's tough for Android owners (like I used to be) to understand just what "lagging" is. I had an Evo and thought it was smooth and buttery, but then I put it next to an iPhone4 - and was blown away at just how much smoother and responsive the iPhone was compared to my Evo. Same reaction with Epic, Fascinate, etc. Android seems really, really snappy until you directly compare it to a device that is snappier. WP7 and iOS are both much smoother than even stock Android.

Yeah that's true. I learned why exactly it happens, Google has failed to attempt to implement hardware acceleration in any way for the OS, apps yeah, like I believe the gallery app made by cooliris is hardware accelerated and that is pretty responsive, kinda, well at least more so than the OS. I remember when the atrix was touted the most powerful Android phone, went to an ATT store and walked out less than five minutes later after seeing the painful lag on the all-powerful dual-core processing beast that is supposed to be the atrix but fails miserably to feel as fluid as WP7. I've seen so many developers ask for hardware acceleration since just before 2.0 eclair and they haven't done sh!t about it yet, probably because they still wanna keep the OS as "whore-y" as possible so to speak. With the amount of devices you can slap Android on, Apple would give smartphone marketshare away before this would happen. Lmao

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but a screen with some ridiculous battery draining tiles and the other screen with a page with a long list of apps is what ya'll call better. Ok well enjoy that. Good luck with everyone getting nodo. I have gingerbread on mine and my CPU is overclocked to 1.8 ghz.

Wait a sec, so you complain about 'battery-draining tiles' and in the very same post you advocate overclocking? And on a platform that has widgets that drain the battery even more. It appears you're just trolling.

WP7 (unlike Android) was designed with specific hardware in mind so you don't have to overclock it to get a smooth experience. The reason is that WP7 can take advantage of GPU hardware acceleration, whereas Android (by virtue of its ability to run on pretty much any device) uses the CPU do many of those GPU tasks meaning you need a much more powerful (or overclocked) CPU to achieve results even close to those of hardware accelerated platforms.

Last edited:

tre-nitty

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Wait a sec, so you complain about 'battery-draining tiles' and in the very same post you advocate overclocking? And on a platform that has widgets that drain the battery even more. It appears you're just trolling.

WP7 (unlike Android) was designed with specific hardware in mind so you don't have to overclock it to get a smooth experience. The reason is that WP7 can take advantage of GPU hardware acceleration, whereas Android (by virtue of its ability to run on pretty much any device) uses the CPU do many of those GPU tasks meaning you need a much more powerful (or overclocked) CPU to achieve results even close to those of hardware accelerated platforms.

My battery in my inspire lasts from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm with no problem. I've had wp7 focus and surround and i currently own an iPhone 4 and HTC inspire and I'm telling y'all I have no lag problems overclocked or not. Go to phonedog.com and look at reviews and it'll show how smooth both OS systems are. Wp7 shouldn't have lag because there is nothing to the phone. So just keep thinking I'm trolling but I stick by my views that android and ios are far superior to wp7. I would've said nothing had the op not started that bs about wp7 being better.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
My battery in my inspire lasts from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm with no problem.

I wouldn't argue with that.

I've had wp7 focus and surround and i currently own an iPhone 4 and HTC inspire and I'm telling y'all I have no lag problems overclocked or not.

It's very obvious in the pinch zoom in the browser (for comparison i was using a Nexus S and Omnia7). And really if UI lag wasn't a problem on android then you wouldn't see so many threads about it, there is SO much discussion in the community about UI lag and when GPU acceleration will come to fix the problem.

Wp7 shouldn't have lag because there is nothing to the phone.

What about those 'battery-draining' tiles? See you're contradicting yourself again.

So just keep thinking I'm trolling but I stick by my views that android and ios are far superior to wp7.

Anyone who continually contradicts himself/herself in an argument has a biased agenda.

I would've said nothing had the op not started that bs about wp7 being better.

Did you miss my post about understanding that the word 'better' is subjective?

So have another read and you'll see that he/she:
Prefers live tiles to widgets.
Doesn't miss the customization.
Can get all the apps he/she needs on WP7.
Has had a better experience on specific devices than others.

In light of those details - which he/she is very forthcoming about - you would have to conclude that WP7 is better. You've countered that conclusion with things like widgets and customization which the OP clearly stated have not value to him/her, so obviously such things are irrelevant.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

It's like this bro.

I have an Incredible, beautiful screen, fast processor, and it's rooted to Gingerbread. I'm tired of Andriod's mess scheme. I'd like to put my favorite bands on the homescreen with dynamic pictures. It's nice and tiled so I can keep it neat.

Few Android widgets fit a uniform design, and I like that I can keep everything tidy.

Plus, just straight up for a pure design and typography nerd stand point, you just can't get any better.

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Im not sure if you've seen the inspire in action but neither that or my captivate had lag whatsoever.

My wife has the vibrant and I had to root and install a "one click lag fix" to get it to stop lagging on scrolling. The dev even explains why the galaxy s phones do it.

My battery in my inspire lasts from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm with no problem. I've had wp7 focus and surround and i currently own an iPhone 4 and HTC inspire and I'm telling y'all I have no lag problems overclocked or not. Go to phonedog.com and look at reviews and it'll show how smooth both OS systems are. Wp7 shouldn't have lag because there is nothing to the phone. So just keep thinking I'm trolling but I stick by my views that android and ios are far superior to wp7. I would've said nothing had the op not started that bs about wp7 being better.

The OP was stating his OPINION about wp7, on a wp7 forum. It would be different if he was over on androidcentral saying the same thing.

Why do android owners feel the need to come over here and bash wp7??? If you don't like it, fine, move on. You are not proving anything by coming here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss