Almost got another WP7 user today

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
My sister had a normal text messaging phone and was out of contract with Verizon for about a year now. She wanted to get a smart phone since everyone is doing it, but had little experience. We determined that AT&T would be the cheapest for her. At the store she was impressed with my phone (Samsung Focus) and the iPhone. She thought the iPhone would be too risky a phone since both sides are glass and she's known to drop phones. She also thought the Focus was easier to use, $150 cheaper and if she had any questions she could always turn to me to help out.

So she decides shes getting the Focus, the saleman gets one from the back and we're getting the process in motion. So she has to call Verizon to cancel her phone and get her account number. They end up transfering her to customer retention and make her a pretty sweet deal. If she gets a contract with Verizon they'll offer 2 years of unlimited data for 9.99 a month.

So we run to Verizon (4 stores down) and look at phones. The HTC Thunderbolt looks pretty awesome, but is obnoxiously overpriced. Seriously... 300 bucks with a 2 year contract? She said she'd buy my phone if it was on Verizon, but there aren't any WP7 phones there. So she ended up getting a Verizon iPhone. Oh and by the way, the lady on the phone misspoke and could only offer $9.99 data for a year. She got free friends and family calling as an apology.

It was pretty funny when we were at Verizon setting up her contract. I was showing off my phone to two of the sales people. One of them said they gave up with Windows Mobile after the disaster 6.5 was. I showed them Xbox Live and Office integration and they were pretty impressed. They said they couldn't wait until they start getting WP7 phones to play with them. Both of them were Xbox 360 owners so having Xbox Live on the go was pretty awesome for them.

But anyway, back on topic. If it wasn't for Verizon's customer retention there'd be another WP7 user. :(

TL;DR Sister was going to get a Focus, Verizon made an offer she couldn't refuse.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Sprint is far cheaper than at$t and any offer vzw could give her should've went there and got an arrive. Maybe its not too late.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Haha whoops we totally forgot about Sprint. We should have ran there too. One of the Verizon reps had told me the reason WP7 on Verizon isn't out yet was because it was delayed due to the iPhone.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
its delayed because of the android PSP phone is coming out the day before WP7,
she still has 30 days to bring the phone back and exchange it for the Trophy that will be out in less than 30 days ..

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
My co-worker has a Thunderbolt. His cable internet has been slower than his Thunderbolt the past couple of days that he's tethered his Xbox to his Thunderbolt so he could play Call of Duty with us. :)

Michael.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Haha seriously Michael? Was he lagging at all? I'm thinking I might be able to drop my ISP with the next phone I get adjust tether when I need to.

Yea I'll keep asking my sister likes the phone. Maybe get her to jump to the Trophy.

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Nope, not kidding at all. His cable internet connection dropped to 1.5mbs on Friday and he kept getting booted from matches. So I suggested he try tethering his Xbox to his Thunderbolt (as a temporary fix until cable guys come out) and he's been getting 3 bar connection strength on Black Ops, with minimal lag (i.e. he's kicking ***).

He's been registering 10mbs down/20mbs up with speedtest.net to give you some idea. :)

Michael.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Just remember, if the Trophy comes out at any time in April, she can trade in the iPhone.

Which would be kinda funky if I do say so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven