Bing Navigation!

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
My Nokias have had the capability to pre-load maps. You'd have to use PC Suite to download the map data, then transfer the map data to the phone via USB. The entire process for the continental U.S. took a couple of hours or more.

Of course, I'd spend all of that time only to find out that the latest maps were still 1 year old, LOL.

I think that's the design trade-off that MSFT took into consideration.

Michael.

Kibosh

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Why does it need to be preloaded? I used to sell navigations at Bestbuy and Google Navigation would load the route faster.
Because not all people actually have a data connection through their cellphone provider. In some country's it's still to expensive for what you get. Also the connections can be disrupted. When you're in a car driving 120km/h, it could be important.

Also for some phones being faster then some other navigation stuff, I think the thing here is, when you pay peanuts, you'll get peanuts. I also worked for a while with a seperate navigation unit. This was just a little faster than my tom-tom on WM6.5 But before that I had an in-car navigation and that was way faster. A friend of mine has a cheap tom-tom, and yes, this one you can't call fast. But it was cheap.

Why aren't Bing maps pre-loaded into the phone? Does it take up too much space?
I think it can take up quite some space. How much I don't know.

The entire process for the continental U.S. took a couple of hours or more.
I had Tom-Tom on my Windows Mobile 6.5 (Samsung Omnia) and loading this didn't took more then 10 minutes? This was for the Benelux (part of Europe) map. Yep, smaller then the US, but still, a few hours is a long time.

Last edited:

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Because not all people actually have a data connection through their cellphone provider. In some country's it's still to expensive for what you get. Also the connections can be disrupted. When you're in a car driving 120km/h, it could be important.

Also for some phones being faster then some other navigation stuff, I think the thing here is, when you pay peanuts, you'll get peanuts. I also worked for a while with a seperate navigation unit. This was just a little faster than my tom-tom on WM6.5 But before that I had an in-car navigation and that was way faster. A friend of mine has a cheap tom-tom, and yes, this one you can't call fast. But it was cheap.

i understand that... but to me, that's where the "paid" apps/devices come in to play.

gnav uses live traffic updates. and it's about advertising.... the reason you'll see places that aren't near you in the search results.

brainimpact

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
My Nokias have had the capability to pre-load maps. You'd have to use PC Suite to download the map data, then transfer the map data to the phone via USB. The entire process for the continental U.S. took a couple of hours or more.

Of course, I'd spend all of that time only to find out that the latest maps were still 1 year old, LOL.

I think that's the design trade-off that MSFT took into consideration.

Michael.

In Ovi maps 3.6 on s^3 you have the ability to download and update loaded maps from within the app, there is no need for a PC anymore to load can now do it OTA via WIFI ;-)
takes me about an hour to get the whole of EU via maploader on PC the maps are quite big so depends alot on you connection at the time.

btw guys Bing maps is already powered by Nokia/Navteq so expect lots new stuff now Nokia have moved there main focus to WP for there primary OS
Even if Nokia wants to Keep free voice Navigation with pre-loaded maps exclusive to there own handsets, there is nothing stopping them from releasing a paid version for non-Nokia handsets in the Marketplace, i have a suspicion they might just do that for some reason.

Last edited:

sanchke

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Who gives a flying leap? I got my device for free and I love it, being if its expensive or not. Regardless who charges how much, I have the smartphone I intended to get.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
In Ovi maps 3.6 on s^3 you have the ability to download and update loaded maps from within the app, there is no need for a PC anymore to load can now do it OTA via WIFI ;-)

Not for the N900.

takes me about an hour to get the whole of EU via maploader on PC the maps are quite big so depends alot on you connection at the time.

EU is smaller than continental U.S.

btw guys Bing maps is already powered by Nokia/Navteq so expect lots new stuff now Nokia have moved there main focus to WP for there primary OS
Even if Nokia wants to Keep free voice Navigation with pre-loaded maps exclusive to there own handsets, there is nothing stopping them from releasing a paid version for non-Nokia handsets in the Marketplace, i have a suspicion they might just do that for some reason.

Bing maps is NOT already powered by Nokia yet, unless it is in alpha or beta testing phase.

Michael.

brainimpact

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Not for the N900.

EU is smaller than continental U.S.

Bing maps is NOT already powered by Nokia yet, unless it is in alpha or beta testing phase.

Michael.

your Wrong b/c Microsoft license most there maps from Navteq for Bing for both desktop and WP which is a Nokia owned company.
check bottom right corner.
Bing Maps - driving and transit directions, routes, traffic conditions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navteq

European maps are 3.10GB and US is 1.72GB.
There is many more streets in Europe and more built up areas even though land mass is smaller.

btw i have a N900 ovi maps on it was terrible unless you install the mod that allows lot of the missing features Maemo5 version never got cared much for by Nokia

Last edited:

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
your Wrong b/c Microsoft license most there maps from Navteq for Bing for both desktop and WP which is a Nokia owned company.
check bottom right corner.
Bing Maps - driving and transit directions, routes, traffic conditions

Navteq - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want to split hairs, then be aware that, that is map data, and that is not the same as "powering", which is the routing and navigation algorithm. That is like saying that Navtech is powering the navigation on my BMW and Porsche. That simply isn't true, the map data is Navtech, but that's it. Becker (Harman-Kardon) is responsible for the software that uses that map data.

And, as far as I know, there are only 2 major map data suppliers, Navtech and TeleAtlas. All the GPS systems TomTom, Garmin, and auto OEM will use either Navtech and TeleAtlas map data, but that's it.

European maps are 3.10GB and US is 1.72GB.
There is many more streets in Europe and more built up areas even though land mass is smaller.

The Navtech map data for my BMW is on 2 DVD's, well more than 1.72GB. The Navtech map data for my Porsche is on 8 CD's, also well more than 1.72GB. The map data not only contain road data, but also POI data.

btw i have a N900 ovi maps on it was terrible unless you install the mod that allows lot of the missing features Maemo5 version never got cared much for by Nokia

Sounds interesting, but navigation on my N900 (and previous N97) just sucks, and that is because the GPS isn't accurate. My position would flip between service roads, the opposite road, and side road, causing frantic and confusing re-routing. It sucked so bad, that I gave up and bought cars with factory navigation. I only use navigation on my phones if I am a passenger in a vehicle now.

I have much more info (about Nokia and Microsoft), but can not share.

Michael.

SuperSport

Mar 25, 2008
Visit site
If anyone is interested in what the next Generation of Nokia/Navteq maps will be like
check out this video YouTube - NAVTEQ 2010: NAVTEQ True, Understanding the Collection Process
The cars have already been spotted worldwide what are collecting the data, pff who needs google streetview
;-)
Absolutely Amazing! Thank you for sharing.

PS: TomTom maps - US & Canada = 1.8GB. Updated Quarterly. TomTom would be my Navigation choice if it comes available for WP7. I've got TomTom Rider, TomTom GO730, TomTom on iPhone, and TomTom on my WM 6.5 phones. It works amazingly well, even when there is no data connection, but even better when there is. Live traffic for instance.

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Reviving a dead thread. As I type this post, my WP7 is downloading 1.5GB of map and voice data of the entire U.S. onto my WP7 for a certain navigation software that I was lucky to get my hands on.

And it's taking forever to download over wifi...

Michael.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)