So I found this article and...

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Android isn't a dumb phone. Actually its the most powerful smartphone available today. Why u always ****ting on Android.

Not so long ago WinMo was the most powerful smartphone available and we know how that turned out. Android is a Sherman Tank and WP is a sleek new Toyota. Android is more powerful, yes. But which would you rather use to drive down to the corner to get a six pack. Hope you are not thirsty.

Sent from my T8788 using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
All apps not available on all phones is a form of fragmentation.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

What apps are currently available on only some WP phones, aside from those offered by OEM's for marketing purposes?

jdunn

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Video calling, Skype, mobile hotspot, push, IM, 3G toggle, sending video,...

video calling - overrated in my opinion. Someday it will be available, but I probably wouldn't use it anyways if I had it. All the people I know that have the iPhone 4 and Android devices with a front facing camera don't use it.

Skype - Already announced for later this year

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/13/microsofts-joe-belfiore-confirms-skype-coming-to-windows-phone/

Mobile hotspot - Carriers charge you so much for it anyways that I wouldn't use it either.

Push - Not sure what you mean here. As far as I know WP7 allows things to be pushed to a device

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff402545(v=VS.92).aspx

3G toggle - really? why would you want to turn off 3G?

sending video - I was not aware of the fact that WP7 cannot send video. I really don't ever send video to anyone, but it would be nice to have.

Last edited:

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

sending video - I was not aware of the fact that WP7 cannot send video. I really don't ever send video to anyone, but it would be nice to have.

3G toggle is nice to save battery life, or in emergency/situations like the current tornado devastation. You can do this if your phone is unlocked with Samsung Tools, and other 3rd party software. I would be surprised if these additional settings are not added at some point in the stock OS.

Sending of videos will be coming later this year I believe, but I'm not 100%.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I also agree that video calling is useless. But some like it.

The rest, your comparing"announced" to what's already available.

Push works like crap on every appthat offers it so far.

3G toggle is extremely useful for conserving battery life.

video calling - overrated in my opinion. Someday it will be available, but I probably wouldn't use it anyways if I had it. All the people I know that have the iPhone 4 and Android devices with a front facing camera don't use it.

Skype - Already announced for later this year

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/13/microsofts-joe-belfiore-confirms-skype-coming-to-windows-phone/

Mobile hotspot - Carriers charge you so much for it anyways that I wouldn't use it either.

Push - Not sure what you mean here. As far as I know WP7 allows things to be pushed to a device

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff402545(v=VS.92).aspx

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Not so long ago WinMo was the most powerful smartphone available and we know how that turned out. Android is a Sherman Tank and WP is a sleek new Toyota. Android is more powerful, yes. But which would you rather use to drive down to corner to get a six pack. Hope you are not thirsty.

horrible analogy. But whatever floats ur boat.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
But in the end. I had to give my girl one of my phones because her iPhone died. She got the captivate. I was giving up my Focus.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Not so long ago WinMo was the most powerful smartphone available and we know how that turned out. Android is a Sherman Tank and WP is a sleek new Toyota. Android is more powerful, yes. But which would you rather use to drive down to the corner to get a six pack. Hope you are not thirsty.

this has to be one of the funniest analogies i have ever seen... consider it stolen! :p

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
1jaxstate1 the features you mentioned, are announced yes, but at least will be running on all devices by the end of the year not just some. I have 3G toggle on my HD7 I dont know why Samsung is screwing their WP7 devices up with firmware bugs and poor exclusive apps but that is their issue. Regarding the exclusive apps, just like jimski stated, its a marketing strategy to attract customers to their (OEMs) devices, and if I'm not mistaken some do work on other oem devices you just gotta have a dev unlocked device (defeating the whole purpose of exclusivity)

Kibosh

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

HTC offers to toggle 3G standard on it. One off the few reasons I choosen the Mozart. Here in Belgium the 3G network isn't yet what it should be. So walking around in an industrial production company the phone has trouble using 3G resulting in an hot phone with empty battery rather quick. So there you go, it's good to be able to turn off 3G.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
HTC offers to toggle 3G standard on it. One off the few reasons I choosen the Mozart. Here in Belgium the 3G network isn't yet what it should be. So walking around in an industrial production company the phone has trouble using 3G resulting in an hot phone with empty battery rather quick. So there you go, it's good to be able to turn off 3G.

I wish it was standard on HTC devices. Not available on my Surround, but probably an AT&T thing. Tried Schapmans Advanced Configuration Tool but changing the toggle does not stick. Hopefully he can correct it. I use WiFi most of the day because of a 1-2 bar 3G connection so I think turning off 3G would save some battery. Don't want to turn off data completely for background updates and tests.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Following that thought then, all PC's are fragmented (different mfg tools installed), all cars are fragmented (different available options), all DVD players are fragmented (different features), etc. That's plain silly. Manufacturers add apps/features to make their product unique and appealing. If they are running the same engine there is no fragmentation. Otherwise Microsoft could simply commission a single world phone, ala iPhone, and everybody could like it or leave it. What fun would that be.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Following that thought then, all PC's are fragmented (different mfg tools installed), all cars are fragmented (different available options), all DVD players are fragmented (different features), etc. That's plain silly. Manufacturers add apps/features to make their product unique and appealing. If they are running the same engine there is no fragmentation. Otherwise Microsoft could simply commission a single world phone, ala iPhone, and everybody could like it or leave it. What fun would that be.

This has some truth to it... I mean we aren't trying to "analogize" EVERYTHING but yeah this is a good analogy I guess... exclusive OEM apps don't really count toward fragmentation because what is required by Microsoft is for all WP7 Marketplace apps to work across all phones... And they do, HTC apps Samsung Apps etc. are a manufactures "touch" if you will, to their own device, pure marketing ploy. You can say the exact same thing about the OEM UI's added to Android. Sense certainly polishes up androids ugly look, but because of proprietary drivers and coding etc. they (consumers) are obligated to wait until HTC can build the newer release of android which takes FAR longer than what Microsoft took in releasing NoDo, with some exceptions of course. However including ALL of that Manufacturers devices, not all of them get the update as soon as others do resulting in fragmentation because some Android Market apps do not run on lower than Eclair 2.0 etc. I'm pretty damn sure that Android would be just as successful if Google took some controll over the OS as most consumers aren't "hackers". A good example would be, have ALL devices run stock Android builds, and have exclusive Market access to certain devices like they do now but a bit more secure than they do now and have the skins just be replacement launchers as an option. In my opinion, that would make updates more streamlined and quicker for all consumers to have access to. that of course is a simple idea there would be more "fine print" to it so that it works out better. Regardless, I no longer care for Android as I am infatuated with WP7 lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99