Light Theme..

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Completely destroys battery life! It seems to drain the battery 2x's as fast as the dark theme. Anyone else noticing this.

Last edited:

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
AMOLED screens only use power to light the pixels they need, so this is normal. I'm interested in the performance of the HD7's SLCD display partially for this reason.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't remember ever seeing the warning, but I did notice the battery drain for the little amount of time I did use it for.

jeff4L

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Which is why I switched to dark theme. When I had it on light theme, it would blind me in the middle of night when I check my phone.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
LOL, yes, the light theme is blinding in the middle of the night. I actually use it as a flashlight, so I don't have to cut on main lights, when I'm sneaking to the kitchen for a late night snack.
Which is why I switched to dark theme. When I had it on light theme, it would blind me in the middle of night when I check my phone.
After using accent color to be able to change the tile's color. I find all the available colors to be too cheery bright. Just the addition of the tile color changer has made this great phone even greater.

Last edited:

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yea I'm not a fan of the look of the light theme. The home screen is weird to me. It's kind of surprising the light theme would be that much of a drain.

Everyone I've shown the phone to likes the dark theme. It's easy on the eyes and sharp looking.

TheAngelOfElysium

May 5, 2011
Visit site
The dark theme is generally a better pick for battery life regardless, and in some case it does, make it a bit better to look at sometimes. For example, if I'm on my Focus and not looking at it too hard, I can fool myself into thinking it's one big slab of glass that that has things magically running around on it.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The light theme, with the portal 2 transparent background, with a good hacked accent color looks outstanding.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
On an LCD screen you shouldn't see any difference as the backlight is lighting the whole screen or none of it. If your phone has an AMOLED screen then the light theme will use more power than an LCD since but the dark theme should use less because - as Rico said - it lights only the pixels it needs, which is also why you get that amazing contrast.

TheDvlsAdvc8

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
The advantage to AMOLED over LCD is that you only use power for the pixels you need, so black uses virtually no power. The disadvantage is that displaying white actually consumes several times the power of an LCD display.

Its kind of a pick your poison kind of thing.

If I had my way, all my backgrounds would be black. You can see Microsoft made a conscious effort toward power conservation in that the dark theme is default and people hub, bing results, and explorer's chrome are all black.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm guessing this is an issue with all WP7 handsets currently, but on my Focus the auto brightness leaves a lot to be desired. There's only three levels of brightness, the phone switches between them instead of transitioning smoothly, and there's several times when the brightness is too low or too high. I can't remember the name of the popular app on Windows Mobile that let you tweak the auto backlight settings, but if there were a similar app for WP7 I'd buy it pr unlock my device to use it.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon