Mango notifications

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Are. Notifications in mango going to work the same as they do now or are they going to get an update?? They are kinda basic at the moment

Sent from my htc trophy using Board Express

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I really hope the add some type of reoccurring sound. I miss a lot of emils,txt,..

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'd like some notifications for other apps, seems like the only way is a live tile?? Or am I wrong?

Sent from my htc trophy using Board Express

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
An icon on the lock screen by calls/texts/emails for notifications would be nice as well as a place to read said notifications that are missed.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
At what point is a lockscreen not a lockscreen anymore? Pretty soon we'll need a lockscreen for the lockscreen to keep us from opening our notifications by accident ;)

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I would like a way to see Toasts that I missed, like when the screen is sleeping. So when I wake up the phone I can see the Toast(s) again on the lockscreen. A swipe to the right would delete and/or bring up the next Toast. Unlocking the phone would kill all previous Toasts. When my phone tingles, I don't want to be a slave to it and have to turn it on within 5 seconds to see what's up.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I would like a way to see Toasts that I missed, like when the screen is sleeping. So when I wake up the phone I can see the Toast(s) again on the lockscreen. A swipe to the right would delete and/or bring up the next Toast. Unlocking the phone would kill all previous Toasts. When my phone tingles, I don't want to be a slave to it and have to turn it on within 5 seconds to see what's up.

This. It annoys me to no end that If I dont get to the phone quick enough I have to guess at what toast message just came in.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. I like how they are non intrusive, meaning I don't have to maintain/delete them like email. But I would like a chance to see them for 5-8 seconds when I tun my phone back on if I happen to be doing something else more important, like driving.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. I like how they are non intrusive, meaning I don't have to maintain/delete them like email. But I would like a chance to see them for 5-8 seconds when I tun my phone back on if I happen to be doing something else more important, like driving.

Frankly, there's absolutely no reason why toasts shouldn't just be persistent until actively dismissed. Even in an engaging game, it's a simple swipe and it's gone. And if even that is too much of a distraction, pause the game, swipe, and return (all of which should be much more seamless in Mango with "dehydrating/rehydrating").

-R

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I would be cool with that. Just don't want a list somewhere that I have to go and manage. But swipe right to kill and the next one in line (if one is there) can appear.

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I would like them to add another gesture to the notifications that pop up ontop of the lockscreen. Right now you can swipe them away. That is great, but if I do that, I don't want the lock screen to tell me I still missed a text, because in my swipe gesture, I clearly acknowledged that I saw it.

And then for the added gesture, I would like to be able to pull down on the notification to go right to it while simultaneously unlocking the phone. Where as right now you have to unlock the phone before tapping it.

swantonsoup

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Toast notifications need improving. Next time you get a text, instead of clicking the toast notification, just follow the normal path to go your inbox and that conversation. If you do it in a reasonable amount of time, you'll still see the notification at the top of the screen notifying you about the conversation you're currently reading! You can even click the notification at the top and the screen will do an animation and take you to the exact same page!

Obviously going to the conversation (in any way) should dismiss the notification.

Poor programming.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I would like to see a list of notifications, similar to what android has been doing, and what apple is bringing with ios5. Maybe have the screen to the left of the home screen, similar to the app list.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Toast notifications need improving. Next time you get a text, instead of clicking the toast notification, just follow the normal path to go your inbox and that conversation. If you do it in a reasonable amount of time, you'll still see the notification at the top of the screen notifying you about the conversation you're currently reading! You can even click the notification at the top and the screen will do an animation and take you to the exact same page!

Obviously going to the conversation (in any way) should dismiss the notification.

Poor programming.

Agreed. Although I don't think that dismissing a toast should change the live tile. A lot of times, I'll dismiss a toast from the lock screen and forget about it, only to be reminded by the live tile that there's something there.

Anyway, here's my idea of how toasts should work:
1. Toast arrives, pops up as usual. The background opacity is 100% and is the color of the tiles, just as it is now. This lasts for 5 sec.
2. After 5 sec, the opacity drops to a fraction, say 50% or lower, so that the battery meter, etc. can be seen. However, the toast persists and is mostly legible.
3. Touching the toast in this "dormant" state reactivates it, making opacity 100% and allowing it to be read. This reactivated state again last for 5 sec until it becomes dormant again.
4. At any time (including the dormant state) a swipe dismisses the toast. The OS obviously can differentiate between a touch and a swipe, so touching a dormant toast reactivates it, swiping dismisses it immediately. However, dormant toasts can persist indefinitely without user dismissal.
5. Locking and unlocking the phone with a dormant toast in view reactivates it, so the toast is 100% opacity upon unlocking and the cycle starts again.
6. Multiple unread toasts are all handled the same way, with each swipe going to the next toast in the queue.

Thoughts? I think this would be a unique, elegant way to handle notifications and is completely keeping in character of the OS.

-R

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes