color choices for tiles

Devilstar

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else getting worn out of the pastel color choices we have? I know mango is bringing more, and you can jailbreak to get more as well, but I just want more than a happy spring pastel flavored phone... I've tried ever single one and they all annoy me ( yes I even rock brown and pink for a bit )

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
It would be nice if Mango allowed you to make any color you wanted. The side-load apps that allow you to choose a custom color are all a little finicky, and I can't quite get the color I want. I would prefer to just type in the hex number of the color I want.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
If you have an unlocked phone you can load up the advanced config tool which gives you pretty much any color under the sun.

I do hope they add native options like the color bands available on the advanced config tool at some point. I know they are adding a "mango" color on release of the update, but thats not enough. On Samsungs Super AMOLED screen especially, many of the stock colors are too, shall we say, florescent looking. The only usable one to me was the green (which I do like...just need more options), and to a lesser extent, the blue.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Can't say I've gotten tired of them, but I do wish that the light theme didn't kill my battery and that the automatic light settings were more varied. And I've rocked the white theme with pink as well. It's strangely kinda enjoyable for a short time. The trick to adding more colors is adding colors that are easily visible on both light and dark themes. Maybe in the future, MS will add colors specific to each theme in order to please users.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

rpm5101

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
It would be nice if Mango allowed you to make any color you wanted. The side-load apps that allow you to choose a custom color are all a little finicky, and I can't quite get the color I want. I would prefer to just type in the hex number of the color I want.

You can enter the decimal equivalent to any hex code from within the registry.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I agree we need more colors.

As a developer, it would be horrible if you can choose any accent color. If you are a good developer you need to test your UI (if it has colors in it, and you use the accent color) with all the possible color combinations to make sure it does not clash, or is still even usable. If the users can select any color, the app developer will be getting bad reviews by stupid users for their bad choice of color.

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree we need more colors.

As a developer, it would be horrible if you can choose any accent color. If you are a good developer you need to test your UI (if it has colors in it, and you use the accent color) with all the possible color combinations to make sure it does not clash, or is still even usable. If the users can select any color, the app developer will be getting bad reviews by stupid users for their bad choice of color.

Well with this, I remember that MS didn't allow developers to use the API that would allow your tile to change with the theme the user selected. I have not looked into this recently - anyone know if MS changed that policy, or if that is coming in Mango? Because if I recall correctly, you could do it, but MS supposedly would reject your app. But really all I remember was that it was confusing, and that there was lots of incorrect information floating around.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Well with this, I remember that MS didn't allow developers to use the API that would allow your tile to change with the theme the user selected. I have not looked into this recently - anyone know if MS changed that policy, or if that is coming in Mango? Because if I recall correctly, you could do it, but MS supposedly would reject your app. But really all I remember was that it was confusing, and that there was lots of incorrect information floating around.
Well not yet cause more than half of my third party apps use the theme color and more are doing it every day. As of last count 28 of 46 tiles are the same color. I did read that with Mango this will be discouraged (don't know what that means). If true, I can't wait.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

jeffa00

Dec 2, 2010
galacticbeacon.com
As a developer and a user, I have to say I'm conflicted on the whole Metro approach. Sometimes I dig it and sometimes I can't believe it's not butter, er, I mean I can't believe they limit choice in such a draconian manner.

The up side is a standard UNIFIED looking OS. That's cool. Unless I want a different color or a graphic tile. Of course the opposite is Android where anything goes and you may wind up with a tuxedo that is plaid, stripes, flourescent and sepia-tone with a spinning bow-tie...

As a developer it makes me twitch trying to figure out how to make an app look good with a variable color scheme.

I'll be the first to admit that my current app doesn't look too good with the light theme. I'm trying to make the next one look better and adapt to differences more gracefully.

TheDvlsAdvc8

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
There's a do-nothing app in the marketplace that shows off some alternate theme ideas for wp7. Like I said, it doesn't do anything, but some of the ideas are nice. backgrounds for the home screen, tile transparency... stuff like that. Sorry but I don't remember the name.

The UI will grow with time, so I'm not worried about it. I kinda like the simplicity and cleanliness anyway. Every time I see an android phone now I find it to be unnecessarily complex and busy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss