Questions from a Newbie

jtb79

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
First off, I apoligize if these questions have already been addresed elsewhere, I did a search and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I am looking to switch the a WP in the near future and wanted to ask a couple of questions first to ease my mind.

Question #1-
If you aren't a facebook user, can it be deleted? Or any live tile?

Question #2-
I decided not to buy a Samsung Focus when they were released because of data usage horror stories. Can anyone make me feel better about this?

Question #2-
Switch now, or wait for new devices that ship with the mango update?

Thanks for the help!

Reactions: gerrymad

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
First off, I apoligize if these questions have already been addresed elsewhere, I did a search and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I am looking to switch the a WP in the near future and wanted to ask a couple of questions first to ease my mind.

Question #1-

Question #2-
I decided not to buy a Samsung Focus when they were released because of data usage horror stories. Can anyone make me feel better about this?

Question #2-

Thanks for the help!
#1. You aren't forced to log in to Facebook so your good.
#2. I believe the data usage horror stories you mentioned were due to Yahoo mail data leaks and that issue has been fixed.
#3. Well there is no solid date for the update, which is said to be coming in the fall and before actual devices as well, so if you can wait till November-ish for a nice Nokia or better quality HTC or Samsung device then by all means wait for those as chances are their build quality will be much improved over launch devices.

Edit: oh and I see this is your first post, welcome to wpcentral!

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
You can remove any live tile from your main screen. Facebook does not have its own tile The Facebook updates would show up on your people tile. I also do not use Facebook and this just means I have no updates from Facebook coming through.

The data usage issues were related to Yahoo mail and that has been resolved.

I would buy now as all phones will get the Mango update. As I understand it, the only real hardware change is the gyroscope. Naturally the longer you wait to buy the more likely you will find a faster phone with more memory although this will always be true. You can drive yourself nuts waiting for the next phone to be released because it will be faster, brighter etc.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
...if you can wait till November-ish for a nice Nokia...

Luis is one of the great sources of good insight and information on this site, but regarding the quote, I have a different opinion.

I would absolutely love the opportunity to purchase a Nokia Windows Phone running Mango through an American mobile carrier this year, but I don't think Americans will get that opportunity until the first, or maybe even the second quarter of 2012. My assumption is based on the fact that Nokia has a very small market in the U.S. and would have a tough time rekindling their influence right off the bat with the first Nokia Windows Phone. It's also based in this article from WPCentral stating that the first Nokia WP device(s) will be released overseas.
Nokia to launch first WP7 device in 6 European countries | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

Of course if people are tempted too strongly by the allure of Finnish Mangos, they might be able to import unlocked devices to the U.S. sooner...

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Luis is one of the great sources of good insight and information on this site, but regarding the quote, I have a different opinion.

I would absolutely love the opportunity to purchase a Nokia Windows Phone running Mango through an American mobile carrier this year, but I don't think Americans will get that opportunity until the first, or maybe even the second quarter of 2012. My assumption is based on the fact that Nokia has a very small market in the U.S. and would have a tough time rekindling their influence right off the bat with the first Nokia Windows Phone. It's also based in this article from WPCentral stating that the first Nokia WP device(s) will be released overseas.
Nokia to launch first WP7 device in 6 European countries | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

Of course if people are tempted too strongly by the allure of Finnish Mangos, they might be able to import unlocked devices to the U.S. sooner...
You are correct good sir... However, did you hear what that one chick from Nokia had to say? They are highly likely to bring two devices to the table this year the first is the one you mentioned, and the second is slightly targeted towards the business users and people that will be switching from BlackBerry devices, not that it's a chassis 2 device, but because it will have a physical keyboard, and that; will likely make it's way here to the states. I can't find the link right now but I will post it as soon as I do...

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
You are correct good sir... However, did you hear what that one chick from Nokia had to say? They are highly likely to bring two devices to the table this year the first is the one you mentioned, and the second is slightly targeted towards the business users and people that will be switching from BlackBerry devices, not that it's a chassis 2 device, but because it will have a physical keyboard, and that; will likely make it's way here to the states. I can't find the link right now but I will post it as soon as I do...

this one?

Nokia Windows phones will be out before Christmas and we're expecting some extra tweaks and a QWERTY keyboard : Shiny Shiny

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I had not heard that, but it does sound very good. It would be great to see Nokia break into U.S. markets with a bang.
I'm not meaning to pull the pessimist card, but I'm just having a tough time being convinced that this can happen before the end of 2011. That's really the only point I'm arguing. :-D

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Good article. That does sound very promising.
But just for arguments sake, I didn't see it state that the devices released this year will be in the United States.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I had not heard that, but it does sound very good. It would be great to see Nokia break into U.S. markets with a bang.
I'm not meaning to pull the pessimist card, but I'm just having a tough time being convinced that this can happen before the end of 2011. That's really the only point I'm arguing. :-D
I understand where you're coming from, I have high doubts of my own, but when a company is in jeopardy of... Well, going out of business really, I'm sure they know how to get their act together pretty quickly. Or at least we would hope, because if they didn't then... Well I wouldn't wanna think what would happen to the future of high quality smartphone manufacturing...

sandmanfvr

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
My HTC Arrive should be here Monday or Tuesday, on gmail how is attchments handled? I hate android that won't handle them well, my bb will. Thanks.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
WP7 requires one to click on each attachment to download. That's something Windows Mobile still does better. From there though you have the Office Suite which handles Word and Excel documents very well, plus the (downloadable) Adobe reader which holds your pdf files. That works well enough I suppose.
I'm not sure what experience you're coming from.
What other specifics were you interested in?

sandmanfvr

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Just that you can download attachments is great. Android gmail doesn't from my experience and my wifes android phone wont do it either. Use to but gmail changed after some updates. My blackberry does attachment fine wanted to know if wp7 could do it.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Question #1-

Question #2-

Question #2-

Thanks for the help!

1. You can choose not to use it at all. You have to setup the account / download the app.

2. As stated, it was a Yahoo issue and has been fixed.

3. I opted to buy a used focus off ebay, then wait and see what comes out later this year. If you want to wait its up to you, but I'm enjoying the heck out of the focus till something better comes out.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
They've already answered your questions. I say look on Craigslist for a focus. I've seen more than a few for 150. Not a bad deal.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro