New to windows mobile with some questions

BORIStheBLADE

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
The other day I decided to give a windows phone a shot and so far I'm happy. I picked up the HTC Trophy.
Coming from Android I'm trying to adjust and need some tips.

1. Is there a way to scroll back through text without deleting? Say you make a grammar or spelling error and don't want to delete words to correct something. Sometimes trying to click in between words brings up the copy/paste option which makes it hard to delete a word.

2. Is there any other places to get apps? With Android and Apple you have other places with the phone being hacked.

3. Is there another internet browser option?

4. Do any apps have notification outside of the app? With Android I would get notification when people spoke to me.

Thanks
Mike

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Phone Central and congrats on the Trophy!

1 - Tap the word and it should highlight it. You can then choose from the suggestions or type it yourself. But if you just want to maybe add a letter or word, just press and hold the screen down until you get the cursor to come up. You can then put it where you'd like.

2 - Nope

3 - SurfCube (and I believe there are others)

4 - Live Tiles (certain apps when placed on start with update the Tile letting you know about the notification

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
RE #4, apps can also use toast notifications (like the ones that appear along the top of the screen when you get a text), but not many apps that I know of actually use them. IM+ is one that comes to mind.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
2. The Internet. There's no unified store, I don't think, but, where there're computers, there's almost always hacking involved somewhere.

3. I believe all the alternative browsers still use IE, so it's just like a different skin on it, not a whole separate browser. Really, though, IE works great on the phone, so I don't think you'll go insane using it.

0. Get used to calling it Windows Phone and not Windows Mobile. :p Windows Mobile gives a lot of people bad memories and Windows Phone is a whole new OS and experience.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
2 - Sorry was in a rush earlier and just wrote. There technically isn't. But if you do hack your device, there are some homebrew apps that exist, but no where near the extent of Android or Cydia (hacked iPhone app store). I'm using a few now.

DeBrander (to debrand the device)
Gamer Profile (somehow an extension to Xbox Live Extras, haven't used it yet)
Registry Editor (edit certain aspects of your registry)
Samsung Tools (keep device unlocked forever; supposedly)
TouchXperience
TVShows7

BORIStheBLADE

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys .

I have another question about the notifications. Do you know of any sports app that gives game updates outside of the app?

Thanks

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys .

I have another question about the notifications. Do you know of any sports app that gives game updates outside of the app?

Thanks

Check out Pro Sports Scores, which supports live tiles. I use it all the time for baseball games, but it supports other sports too. The only annoying thing is you have to set which game you want the tile to show every time, you can't just pick a team and have it automatically show the game every day. But it's free and it works.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Pro Sports Scores is great and I also use it every day. Another app, Sports Scores, lets you pin two favorite teams to your live tile and it updates every 10 minutes during games, but only scores and inning/period. But no need to change it every game. Pro Sports Scores (live tile) updates every minute during games.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goergtalk