Data Useage - Integrated FB and Maps in particular

Travis01

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I am pretty new around these parts. Just updated my phone to the Mango beta and after searching around a little bit and assessing just what exactly I was going to do with this phone (bit of back story, I don't have an active 3G data plan on it as of yet, just waiting for my current voice/text only plan to go kaput next week before it comes in to effect) and the thing that struck me was just how much data this baby looks like it is going to pull.

Just for disclosures sake, I am on an HD7 and have just been running off of WiFi to this point until my Data kicks in. The data will be T-Mobiles 50$ Pre-Paid Data plan w/ 100mb of Data (throttled speeds after 100), Unl Talk/Text.

I am not a very heavy data user myself (no Pandora, very little YouTube), the majority of my data goes straight for email, in the form of 1 Hotmail account, and Facebook, and light web browsing, mainly just to check the news on a few blogs.

Since Facebook is so deeply integrated in to WP7, it seems like every time I open any hub on the phone, it is updating something, and I can't help but think of the data this is going to amount to.

I also worry about the default Maps app, especially with the new Scout feature (which is fantastic <3 ). I doubt I will use it much, but when I need it, I would rather it not decimate all my usage.

So all in all, my question is how much data are you guys pulling on average with just light usage, and how much data does the Map app pull?

hardrock1a

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I just looked at my data usage and 12 days into the cycle I have used 37 meg... not too bad, I will have to see what it looks like after a full month cycle with the phone, I got it in the middle of last billing cycle.

Looks like last billing cycle, I had the phone for about half and I used 287MB. The predictor stays that I should use 101MB this month. And I am constantly using it and downloading. Not doing a lot of videos, which I am sure would kill the data.

Also, I do run on Wi-Fi most of the time.

Last edited:

redviper#WP

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Data usage is surprisingly decent. I almost never use WiFi during the day and sometimes not in the evenings also and looking at my daily usage it is usually between 10 and 20MB/day. Only a few days do I see spikes of over 100-200MB/day. Since Mango's installation I have actually seen a slight decrease but that would be because I was playing with it at home. Last three days for me have been 1.5MB, 2.4MB and 1MB.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
It's hard to use a WP phone (or any current smartphone) without consuming a good chunk of data as so much info is web centric. So you need to have a robust data plan (like 1-2GB) or good access to WiFi. Based on my past usage I consume between 1.6 to 2.2GB/month. Now that I use WiFi a good part of the day, my actual data usage is down to under 300MB/m.

I sync 3 email accounts, have 10 live tiles, sync FB, view some video, occasional music streaming, read RSs feeds, blog, browse, etc. Much of my data usage is when the phone is sleeping and info is synced in the background. I was running about 8MB/day, but I turned off data for MS feedback & updates + I changed my Yahoo sync from 15/min to 30/min. Now I am running about 3.5MB/day.

You will need to do some testing yourself, but to avoid throttling, try using WiFi when possible (almot no effect on battery) and either sync mail manually or set for a longer interval.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Data Usage

For the month of May, my usage was 1.9GB.

I leave WiFi on all of the time. I primarily use it at home and work, but find myself connecting more and more at places that I wouldn't have guessed offered open service. Plus, lately, if it is protected, I have been just asking for the password, and usually getting a positive response! The 3G speeds here are okay, so I uses WiFi only because it is slightly faster. I am still grandfathered in to an unlimited data plan (for $20!).

My usage was up last month because our WiFi router at work (I think I am the only one that uses it!) was goofed up for a two weeks. Also, I was on vacation for the other two weeks, and my wife uses my Quantum for everything while we are driving (streaming audio, Zune downloads, Netfix, YouTube, FB, web etc...).

The month before that I only used 550MB. I would say that would be on my low end of usage though.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
So glad I don't have to fret over data usage.....

Sprint FTW!!! :cool:
For clarification, I am on a grandfathered AT&T data plan. But in the house, on 3G or 3G+, I get 1.2 to 1.8Mbps download speeds. With WiFi I get 6.8 to 8.6Mps. So WiFi is four times faster. That means faster syncs, app downloads and smooth streaming. And surprisingly the difference in battery drain with WiFi always on is minimal. Used 3G only the first three months but the WiFi signal for me is just better.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss