Help! How to kill reserved space from other computers

TricBox

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Title says it all. I need to know how to kill the reserve space from other computers. The Zune software crashed a couple of times and now I have space reserved on my Focus that I can not get rid of eventhough I'm connected to the one and only computer it has been attached to. I really don't want to do a hard reset either because one of my apps will not be the same as the original on my phone. Anyone know? Thanks.

TricBox

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I also know that reinstalling the Zune software doesn't work either. I deleted everything zune in the program files. Still showed reserve space.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
You know what I'm thinking though? I'm thinking most of my reserved space is due to synced pictures (camera roll, skydrive, FB albums, saved), emails, and texts. My skydrive camera roll alone are syncing over 2000 pics. That could be a possible explanation?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
No I think it is directly correlated to what you have synched on the phone ie: music/videos.

Interesting. If you open up Zune/settings/phone/reserved space it states "email, pictures, and videos you take, and apps and games you buy and download from the marketplace".

So that's why I'm thinking synced items from skydrive will count.

TricBox

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. If you open up Zune/settings/phone/reserved space it states "email, pictures, and videos you take, and apps and games you buy and download from the marketplace".

So that's why I'm thinking synced items from skydrive will count.

No, I think it is an amount of space you reserve to download on top of what you synch to the phone. So I can reserve 2 gigs out of 8 for downloads, apps, photos and videos I take or use. the other 6 is the music/movies/apps I put on the device. For some reason the software also reserves space if you guest yourself to another machine and synch music/movies to your phone from that 2nd computer. Either way, I need to get back the space on the phone and need to get rid of the reserve space because the last time Zune software crashed I had my phone just about full of music. Now I can't add anything. I can take the music off, but I only get like 1-2 gigs after having 7 gigs of music on the phone because of this reserve space.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
It seems that when you delete/clear music from Zune on PC, you're only getting about 2 gigs back when you should've gotten 6 gigs back. Is that correct? My initial thought would be that not all of your music is getting deleted from your device. How do you have Zune sync options set up (zune/settings/phone/sync options)? Anything you have set to "manual" sync will be kept on your device, despite deleting them from your PC.

Also double check to see what computers and devices are synced (zune/settings/accounts/computers and devices). Delete any that you do not need.

That's all I've got. Sorry if it's not helpful.

TricBox

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Well I've gone through the account and cleared the phone and made the Zune software forget the phone. I now got some of my space back, but I still have 2.77 gigs of reserved space AND content from other computers (if any) showing. That 2.77 gigs was from the first time Zune software crashed. I want it back. The reserve space I have set for the phone is 5%. 2.77 is well over that.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I'm gonna take another guess and add that about 2GB is reserved for system memory (stuff you can't access like the recent NoDo update and mini security updates from the manufaturer). If I go to settings/about it states that my total phone storage is about 14GB. I'm supposed to have 16GB. Zune software says my reserved space is at 3.90GB. So 2GB is probably system memory and the rest of 1.90GB are my apps, emails, etc (2GB+1.90GB=3.90GB). So I think you should be okay at 2.77 reserved space.

hardrock1a

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Just sent this tweet, we will see what they say..

@zunesupport whats up with the 5GB that zune is showing as reserved on my #wp7 nodo HTC Trophy? never been connected to another computer

hardrock1a

May 21, 2011
Visit site
looking a little bit at it... I think that reserved space is actually Apps and such, there is a catagory for music videos podcasts pictures but not one for apps

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Ok, I just didn't recall it being that high. We'll see what happens when I finally add a card to get even more space.

Those were my same thoughts, but when I think about how my Surround recently got 3 updates, inlcuding NoDo, it makes sense that it went up. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets even higher with the 500 new features Mango will bring.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
i dunno if this is related or not , but Phones /PC / Xbox , always have reserve space that you cant remove ( well on PC you can decide what gets reserved ) it to prevent your device from being overloaded and slowing down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel