Is now a good time to get a windows phone?

kismayaz

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
So, I am able to get a free samsung focus with att, and am wondering if I should. I've been using android for a year or so, and I do love all the things I can do with it. I understand wp7 is new but I'm really interested in the arcade games. Is it worth it now, and will the focus be able to take advantage of all the new updates microsoft will offer? Or should I wait, and get another android until better wp7 phones are available?

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
The Focus will be able to use the upcoming update and get all the benefits. It is a GREAT phone!

It does not, however, have a front facing camera; which should be included in the next batch of phones. That is the only really significant thing I can think of.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well if you can wait less then 1 month your gona get the new WP7,

i use the FOCUS and i LOOOOOVE IT!!! like he said the front facing cam is prety much the only big thing missing ( hardware style ) but i personally never or would never use it soo.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Gyroscopes and an upgraded CPU/GPU are also among the improved hardware specs to expect. So overall waiting (depending on how long att takes to get the newer hardware) might be best. Software wise the Focus will be getting Mango after testing.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It depends. The new phones are coming, but they won't be free. At the least $199 with a 2 yr contract. You can get the Focus now, which will be upgraded to Mango, which will be old hardware, but hey, you getting it for free. So it's depends if you want to wait and dole out at least 200 bucks for new hardware or not.

hardrock1a

May 21, 2011
Visit site
If you don't despise your current Android device, my suggestion is just to be a little patient for maybe as much as 3 months and you will see something like the GSII running WP7, or the Nokia, or or or... a lot of new hardware is getting ready to hit.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
If you can, wait until September. Mango is going to be released, along with a lot of new, shiny hardware.

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
If you like the phone as it is I would recommend buying now. The OS is already smooth on any of the current hardware platforms. You will get Mango sometime around September in any case. The only thing that would worry me is that Samsung has a long history of being really slow to release updates so Mango may take a little extra time getting toyour phone.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
What is your device selling for used?

Purhaps you could get $100-$150 for it on ebay right now...and a used Focus is only $125-$150. It would be maybe a $25 upgrade, and a great device to get started on (buying some Xbox games and finding good apps) while you are waiting for the next big thing to use your contract on.

Also...the front camera is so funny...I call it the least used most wanted feature on a phone. My wife has an iPhone 4 and has used the FFC a total of 3 times, twice at the bar to show it off to a friend and a 3rd time to show her aunt who also had an iPhone 4.

hardrock1a

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I dont get the FFC either but I do hear that it is good for making it a mirror but I don't have a need to do that either, why would I want to break my camera with my own ugly mugg?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Every time I get asked this question my answer is always: "The sooner you get a phone, the sonner you can upgrade to the next one. There will always be a better one."

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Every time I get asked this question my answer is always: "The sooner you get a phone, the sonner you can upgrade to the next one. There will always be a better one."

Heh, I really like that. I've never thought of it like that before.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If he gets one now, it'll be 2 years before the next one.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
If he gets one now, it'll be 2 years before the next one.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Yeah, but what usually happens, is when the new phones come out, in a month or so another set of new phones are announced. Then the question gets asked again...

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I agree, as soon as you buy something, it's already a replacement model on the way. Gadgets are outdated as soon as you buy them.
Yeah, but what usually happens, is when the new phones come out, in a month or so another set of new phones are announced. Then the question gets asked again...

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

I don't really agree with this attitude.

The current crop of Windows phones is almost a year old. The next wave of WP7 devices is only another month or two away. Why get stuck for 2 years with a phone that is practically outdated on day 1?

TC, the Focus is a great phone, but I say wait it out another month or two.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb