Improving IE9

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this. And I believe there are some alternatives in the marketplace that do something similar (surfcube coming to mind). But here is what I think IE9 should do to make getting to your open tabs easier. You could also use this same concept to pivot to your favorites.

Windows Phone IE9 Improvement Idea- YouTube

Is there a way to embed youtube here?

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
If they use an edge-to-edge gesture like that in IE, they would need to implement it in other area to be consistent. I don't see them using a gesture for one app. As I said in the other thread, I'd like the refresh/stop button on the address bar, and the tab button where the afotemntioned button currently is.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I actually think we will be seeing this type of edge detection elsewhere. Steve Elop after demonstrating Symbian said that some of these innovations would live on in other products. It is completely reasonable that this is one innovation that could reasonably be working into Windows Phone UI.

rick9814911#WP

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I like that idea, as long as it doesn't affect normal scrolling. For example if I'm trying to scroll left and it goes into the tab screen. That would get very frustrating very quickly. Another issue I could for see is with hardware differences and also with cases. If I'm understanding this your talking about the touch sensitive parts that are to the very edge of the screen. That's fine most of the time but what happens when I put a case on my phone. Most cases come very close to the screen and are slightly raised. That could make it hard to actually get to the "edge Pixels" like your talking about. Otherwise I think it's a great idea. I had having to hit an extra button to get to my tabs, its very annoying.

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Essentially what it is doing is assessing whether the drag started off screen. So as long as the user doesn't have a habit of doing that to move around on the screen, I don't see it being an issue.

That is a valid point, if you have a raised case that goes right up to the screen - one that probably only would effect a very small number of users. But in any event, the buttons would still be accessible through the menu that already exists.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I don't think I want it for Windows Phone as a system-wide gesture. It works well enough in Surfcube, but there's still times I accidentally start to rotate the cube when I don't want to or vice versa. If you go with hardware that has a capacitive border around the screen it could improve the accuracy in registering it, but then you need new hardware. And as a concept, working the area outside of the screen into something as ubiquitous as a system-wide gesture doesn't feel like Windows Phone. It feels a bit hackery. Just my humble opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo