09-21-2011 05:54 AM
109 12345
tools
    Understood...but that's why folks should maybe read up on or do a little research on the products that they are purchasing and using. Maybe she should have...hmmm...I don't know....ask questions about how to use it?? Most of the folks on here are Tech savy...when folks go out and purchase a product..the salesperson should "help" explain how to use the product. And also a basic instruction booklet might help? I know that a "basic" booklet came with my HD7!! Also the WP7 website provides the basic "how to do" info. I'm not saying that I know all of the "in's and out's" of WP7 but if I can't figure it out...damn "Bing" it or in her case "Google" it!!
    08-20-2011 12:56 PM
    Make sense but you know how people are.
    08-20-2011 01:00 PM
    I must be alone when I say, who the heck is Molly Wood and why do I care?
    augustofretes and cckgz4 like this.
    08-20-2011 01:09 PM
    Any product that is considered "New" to a first time user is...yes confusing. But tinkering with the product and doing a little research wouldn't hurt at all. If I was given G2X and I had never seen or used a droid phone before...then yes I can say that it's confusing and difficult to use. But would that be a fair assessment of that product? I don't think that it would. People have their preferences when it comes to products and I truly believe that when it comes to Smartphones...folks will go with what works for them and what they know best. If you produce an amazing product and provide a creating marketing strategy at a fair price.....your product will sell. Case in point the IPhone!! When it hit the market...it was deemed a flashy new device...their marketing/advertising was top notch...look what happened...they sold like hot cakes!!! Come MS!! Step your game up and show folks what WP7 can do for them!!
    08-20-2011 01:12 PM
    Make sense but you know how people are.
    So true. I expect that from a regular user...NOT from a person that reviews products for a living.
    08-20-2011 01:23 PM
    I must be alone when I say, who the heck is Molly Wood and why do I care?
    She's a writer for CNET and is pretty big in the tech world. She does a couple popular tech podcasts.
    08-20-2011 01:53 PM
    The problem with WP7 is that it doesn't do anything IOS/Android can't do. ( In fact it does less )

Edit: the problem from the advertising perspective.
    08-20-2011 01:54 PM
    I guess I have to say her comments were expected. Not so much because of her patiently tacit approach to the device from the very beginning, but her body language in this video screamed she had no clue about what to say, has no experience with the device, so make something up. And she did not disappoint.

When she got to her commented, " if you are a power user", that said more to me about what Molly is about than any of the other comments positive or negative about WP7. Not only did the balance of what she had to say sound technically dishonest, she came across like a woman who truly does not see herself as an "equal" to men as it relates to tech. She needed to proclaim that she was a "POWER USER" and not so much for those in the WP7 ecosystem, but for the benefit of her male counterparts. That she is a NOT that woman to be home baking cookies, as many of her male contemporaries think she should.

I'll go as far as to say she NEVER used the phone. She may have had it for 2 weeks, but she never used it. She sounds like the same idiots at a cell phone kiosk giving you all of what they don't know that this phone is. She knew next to nothing about Sky drive, Zune pass or grouping inboxes. A power user would have invested time in the device. A power user would have used skill on the device and made discovery while using it, as all power users have. But Molly Wood had NONE to give us. NONE! All she had was the comments already out there, the same comments from those who never used the device.

No, she's a spineless woman who is overly concerned with her place in a male dominated tech world. And now we know she is capable of being technically dishonest, all comments made by her should be fact checked, twice.

She had the chance be technically honest, and she blew it.
    UVSoaked and DrSaiko like this.
    08-20-2011 01:59 PM
    The problem with WP7 is that it doesn't do anything IOS/Android can't do. ( In fact it does less )

Edit: the problem from the advertising perspective.
    I think you're definitely right about that. The problem is you can't tell people why you like WP7 more, you have to show them. So unless you're in the room with them it's hard to convert people. Which is why it's kind of disappointing that she didn't mention any redeeming qualities of the OS after having actually used it.
    Last edited by thed; 08-20-2011 at 02:33 PM.
    08-20-2011 02:07 PM
    I guess I have to say her comments were expected. Not so much because of her patiently tacit approach to the device from the very beginning, but her body language in this video screamed she had no clue about what to say, has no experience with the device, so make something up. And she did not disappoint.

When she got to her commented, " if you are a power user", that said more to me about what Molly is about than any of the other comments positive or negative about WP7. Not only did the balance of what she had to say sound technically dishonest, she came across like a woman who truly does not see herself as an "equal" to men as it relates to tech. She needed to proclaim that she was a "POWER USER" and not so much for those in the WP7 ecosystem, but for the benefit of her male counterparts. That she is a NOT that woman to be home baking cookies, as many of her male contemporaries think she should.

I'll go as far as to say she NEVER used the phone. She may have had it for 2 weeks, but she never used it. She sounds like the same idiots at a cell phone kiosk giving you all of what they don't know that this phone is. She knew next to nothing about Sky drive, Zune pass or grouping inboxes. A power user would have invested time in the device. A power user would have used skill on the device and made discovery while using it, as all power users have. But Molly Wood had NONE to give us. NONE! All she had was the comments already out there, the same comments from those who never used the device.

No, she's a spineless woman who is overly concerned with her place in a male dominated tech world. And now we know she is capable of being technically dishonest, all comments made by her should be fact checked, twice.

That was my point from my post earlier!!! She didn't take the time or effort to even learn about or how to use the device. If my 17 year old daughter can figure out how to use "Sky Drive" and her "Zune Pass" but this so called power-user can't?? Hmmm..something smells fishy!!!
    Jazmac and EJNelly like this.
    08-20-2011 02:27 PM
    That was my point from my post earlier!!! She didn't take the time or effort to even learn about or how to use the device. If my 17 year old daughter can figure out how to use "Sky Drive" and her "Zune Pass" but this so called power-user can't?? Hmmm..something smells fishy!!!
    The other thing too is if you get something for free you're not going to appreciate it as much as something you purchased. So she may have given it a quick review while her Android was there waiting for her to go back to it.
    jaded skies likes this.
    08-20-2011 03:11 PM
    Exactly UptownDC. Her body language killed it for me. Flipping the phone around in her hand like she had a draw full of 'em. She let the time lapse and did a last minute BS video.
    jaded skies likes this.
    08-20-2011 04:52 PM

Well said. That's how I felt while watching the video. I saw this coming from the beginning, it would've been shocking if she ended up liking the phone.
    jaded skies and Jazmac like this.
    08-20-2011 05:23 PM
    I agree, it seemed like she didn't use it much. She was asking some pretty simple questions that any cellphone "power user" would have figured out easily by just poking around the OS. I bet she pulled it out once in a while to try a specific feature and write a tweet about it.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using WP7!
    08-21-2011 07:11 AM
    Has ANYONE in here had a WP7 that spontaneously rebooted 15 times in one day!?! Supposedly hers did.

I'm using Mango RTM and haven't had a single freeze or reboot.

08-21-2011 07:12 AM
    Has ANYONE in here had a WP7 that spontaneously rebooted 15 times in one day!?! Supposedly hers did.

I know this is very hard to believe, but mine hasn't done this even once since i got my phone October. Can't be bad. :)
    08-21-2011 08:30 AM

She lied gekkoace. That witch flat out lied and she should be called out on it. Out loud in public. She is dishonest blogger. No ifs or buts about it.
    Yakolev and jaded skies like this.
    08-21-2011 09:18 AM

My DVP has a build date from back in december and so had one of the earlier/flakier firmware versions which made it as prone to spontaneous reboots as any WP7 phone could ever be and I can state for the records that I NEVER saw anywhere near 15 reboots in any 24 hr period. I think 4 was my record and that was plenty for me, long before I made it to 15 the darned thing would have been chucked out of a window. So, I have a very hard time believing her tale of 15 reboots in one day on an HTC Trophy (my guess is that she had the phone reboot a few times over the two week period, perhaps once occurring twice in the same day, and decided that a slight exaggeration would be acceptable to help make her point). IF the phone really did reboot that many times then she most likely had some defective hardware/firmware that needed to be addressed, not used as part of an excuse for her review/opinions.
    08-21-2011 10:57 AM

HTC Trophy here, running Mango beta since it was released. I haven't seen a single random reboot. She must have had a bad unit or is totally exaggerating.
    08-21-2011 01:24 PM
    I've had to reboot before, but 15 times in a day? I don't believe that for one second. Not calling her a liar...but she's lying.
    jaded skies likes this.
    08-21-2011 01:50 PM
    I've never really liked Molly Wood anyway, and this certainly doesn't help that. She only focused mainly on the negatives in that video and she seemed uneducated on it all.
    jaded skies likes this.
    08-21-2011 11:30 PM
    lol you guys are MAD. If everyone liked Windows Phone it wouldn't sell so bad.
    08-22-2011 11:22 AM
    lol you guys are MAD. If everyone liked Windows Phone it wouldn't sell so bad.
    You have to be educated to know about WP7, sadly. And there are a lot of stupid people in this world.
    jaded skies and wolf1891 like this.
    08-22-2011 11:26 AM
    I couldn't care less about anybody working at cnet (and you shouldn't care too). The quality of their articles and reviews has always been pathetic. I'm aware it may cause bad PR, but not a single intelligent person cares about what *any* cnet writer has to say.

For the record: I tend to care about Arstechnica, Anandtech, old Endgaget/This is my next opinions.
    08-22-2011 01:36 PM
    Anyone seen any reply from Brandon Watson? I can't wait to see it.
    08-22-2011 01:57 PM
109 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD