May you help me deciding?

augustofretes

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to decide which Windows Phone to buy, the reason is simple: Mango looks amazing and I've liked Windows Phone since it was announced. I've used all major mobile OSes, and Windows Phone is my current favorite, but it is the only one I've not used extensively (this is: I've never owned a WP7 device). After watching Mango, I can no longer resist.

The three devices I'm considering are (I'm going to import one of them): Samsung Focus, Samsung Omnia 7 and Dell Venue Pro.

What do you think? I really like the screen on those Samsung devices, but I've not seen the AMOLED on the DVP, is it almost as good? or the difference is substantial? I really like the keyboard and the look of the DVP. And the micro-SD of the Samsung Focus.

Before you recommend me to wait until the new Mango smartphones, let me explain my situation: I'm from Mexico, here the only device being sold is the Optimus 7, it's a nice device, but I don't like the screen, so I'm going to buy one of those three off-contract and use it with my current plan. Because when the new smartphones launch I won't be able to know for sure if they will come to my network (Telcel), and if they do, it could be a long time gap between USA's availability and Mexico's (this is impredictable, it could take forever, or be like the Samsung Galaxy S II which has been available since always here for 240 dollars with a beautiful 2 year contract at 56 dollars a month). So there, that's the reason why I won't wait until the new Mango devices.

All three basely cost the same (thankfully, I sold my Android smartphone I got for free on contract, so I'll pay using that).

Thank you very much in advance for you help!

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well regarding screens , the one on the Samsungs look MUCH nicer.

ive had 3 wp7 and so far my focus is my fav!! looks amazing.. Evan the Iphone 4 ( witch claims to have a better screen ( more pixels ) doesnt look as good as the focus. (better blacks/whites , general colours )

also i think its it looking like Samsung might come out with a S -AMOLED PLUS WP soooon!! ( probly in a month or 2 ) so if u can wait id wait for the new Samsung .. if not .. id get the focus or the Omnia 7

Omnia 7 doesn’t have extendable SD card
the focus does.

Omina 7 has metal frame , not the focus ... so focus might feel a little cheaper but works just as good.

so if you want more then 8G DONT get omnia 7...

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
dont listen to him, buy an htc!!! better hardware, more durable, just better all around, always the first with updates, and better firmware...! plus htc has some big plans for the future with beats by dr. dre! sound trumps display, who watches video on a phone anyway? lol! selfcreation is sasmsung bias and a lil nieve (<----may have spelled wrong, lol)

definately stay away from the dell! dell makes junk, i speak frmo every piece of equipment i have ever bought from them, except for my pc monitor...

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
selfcreation is sasmsung bias and a lil nieve (<----may have spelled wrong, lol)

are you kidding me!! your an HTC bias!! LMAO! your worst then me , hahaha

think the problem with HTC is that he doesn’t have HTC in Mexico... :(

and im not a Samsung BIAS!! look at my signature , ive had more HTC phones then Samsung ;) . im a AMOLED Fan boy... if HTC had S-AMOLED id get HTC . but i dont like the currently ugly HTC screens. colors look faded. ( i had 2 HTC WP i returned them , lol )

and its not true that HTC has better hardware . samsung has better screen = samsung = better harware , the rest of the phone is the SAME! hahaha

as for the Dr Dre sound thing , lol dotn expect to see any of that till 3rd gen like late 2012.....

X7or360

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I think it comes down to deciding between the expandable storage on the focus vs the keyboard on the venue pro.

So, You have the final call, would you rather have expandable storage (up to 32 GB I think) or a physical keyboard?

P.S. Bienvenido al foro :D

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I own the Dell and the latest firmware has fixed all stability issues. The camera is the only real problem, decent pictures in daylight but terrible, blurry at night. It has the keyboard you like but its also heavier, you could get tired of that. Also easy to upgrade the storage on that, mine has 32GB. The Dell also is built very well, the slider has shown no slack whatsoever after 6 months of use.

The Samsung's will be lighter, better screens (not a huge difference but better especially the black levels, gorgeous), definitely better camera + flash, you will enjoy that. The Focus will allow you to expand your memory. Samsung also supports their hardware well with firmware updates.

Both the Samsung's and the Dell use Gorilla glass for extra protection from scratches. I have not used a screen protector on my Dell and have not had one scratch. I do handle it carefully though but the GG helps.

I would recommend Samsung first, then the Dell.

sound trumps display

Have to disagree, not everyone will use their phone for media, but everyone will look at their screens, and the Samsung's are recognised to be the kings of phone displays. Screen quality will affect browsing, picture viewing, reading books/text/emails. Even just looking at your lock screen. A good set of headphones and a good encode will do a lot for sound quality. Screen quality over sound all the way!

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I own the Dell and the latest firmware has fixed all stability issues. The camera is the only real problem, decent pictures in daylight but terrible, blurry at night. It has the keyboard you like but its also heavier, you could get tired of that. Also easy to upgrade the storage on that, mine has 32GB. The Dell also is built very well, the slider has shown no slack whatsoever after 6 months of use.

The Samsung's will be lighter, better screens (not a huge difference but better especially the black levels, gorgeous), definitely better camera + flash, you will enjoy that. The Focus will allow you to expand your memory. Samsung also supports their hardware well with firmware updates.

Both the Samsung's and the Dell use Gorilla glass for extra protection from scratches. I have not used a screen protector on my Dell and have not had one scratch. I do handle it carefully though but the GG helps.

This is why I like Windows Phone. Updates actually FIX issues.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
dont listen to him, buy an htc!!! better hardware, more durable, just better all around, always the first with updates, and better firmware...! plus htc has some big plans for the future with beats by dr. dre! sound trumps display, who watches video on a phone anyway? lol! selfcreation is sasmsung bias and a lil nieve (<----may have spelled wrong, lol)

definately stay away from the dell! dell makes junk, i speak frmo every piece of equipment i have ever bought from them, except for my pc monitor...

First with updates... unless you own a HTC Surround. :D

And the camera quality on the Focus is just so much better.

DrSaiko

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

Have to disagree, not everyone will use their phone for media, but everyone will look at their screens, and the Samsung's are recognised to be the kings of phone displays. Screen quality will affect browsing, picture viewing, reading books/text/emails. Even just looking at your lock screen. A good set of headphones and a good encode will do a lot for sound quality. Screen quality over sound all the way!
I agree, I love my Dell and all but when it comes to taking good pictures it kinda sux.

augustofretes

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
well regarding screens , the one on the Samsungs look MUCH nicer.

ive had 3 wp7 and so far my focus is my fav!! looks amazing.. Evan the Iphone 4 ( witch claims to have a better screen ( more pixels ) doesnt look as good as the focus. (better blacks/whites , general colours )

Great to hear. I really liked *OLED screens, if the SAMOLED on the Focus is noticeable better than AMOLED on the DVP that almost settles it (I just read on Anandtech that the screen on those SAMOLEDs is also 25% brighter than the AMOLED on the DVP).

also i think its it looking like Samsung might come out with a S -AMOLED PLUS WP soooon!! ( probly in a month or 2 ) so if u can wait id wait for the new Samsung .. if not .. id get the focus or the Omnia 7

Omnia 7 doesn’t have extendable SD card
the focus does.

Omina 7 has metal frame , not the focus ... so focus might feel a little cheaper but works just as good.

so if you want more then 8G DONT get omnia 7...

I would love to get a SAMOLED+ without PenTile. But I can't know for sure when it will launch (here), and how much will it cost off-contract (which will obviously be >500 at launch + taxes + shipping, remember, I'm from Mexico), since I don't feel like paying that much (my current sold Android doesn't cover as much), I would need to wait a lot to get it subsidized. So I'm going with one of those three.

I don't like the screen on those devices, but the build quality seems top notch. Also, I think screen > sound, merely because it is the main input method on all modern smartphones.

I think it comes down to deciding between the expandable storage on the focus vs the keyboard on the venue pro.

So, You have the final call, would you rather have expandable storage (up to 32 GB I think) or a physical keyboard?

I've used the software keyboard on WP7, and it's the best I've experienced (while Android's is the worst). So I guess I would go with one of the Samsungs.

P.S. Bienvenido al foro :D

Muchas gracias! =D

Ok, this seems like the overall consensus (the Focus is the best all around). Thank you very much for your input, I especially like your opinion because you own a DVP and yet recommend me a Samsung over it, so it seems like you're very objective =D

-----

Thank you very much for all your input, one last question, How's the build quality of the Focus? That's the only reason why I'm considering an Omnia 7. Is it durable (I didn't know the screen was gorilla glass!)? If it is, then it is certainly the device to go because it has the SD slot in its favor (over the Omnia 7).

augustofretes

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I would get the Samsung Omnia 7, it has the same features as the Focus, but it's soooo much sexier!

I know! But it lacks the SD expansion, and it only comes with 8 GB. That's why I want to know if the build quality of the focus is as good (regardless of being of plastic), if not, I think the Omnia 7 is hard to beat.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I'd say get the Omnia 7

foghorn.jpg

It's a gorgeous phone! ah say, ah say, it's a gorgeous phone! ;)

augustofretes

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
My own personal bias I guess.

I'm guessing you would recommend me LG or HTC phones. I think those are fine, but I don't like their screens, that's all (I don't know if you noticed, but all three phones I considered got *OLED screens). I know those LG and HTC devices have better battery life (if many white elements are on screen, like web browsing), but I would rather buy an extra battery. Also, the Samsungs and the Dell are far better priced (off-contract), at least what I've been able to find.

Last edited:

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
My vote woyuld be the focus it has the exapandability and a very nice screen its then and I have really enjoyed mine. I thought about the quantum but it too thick kind of like my tilt2 which I migrated from. I have (personal preference) switched from physical key board devices treo 600 650 750 and pro to on screen KB I like it much better and think its going to continue to get better as time goes by. I think thge omnia 7 looks very nice but its not on ATT and thats the end of the duiscussion for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers