Molly speaks: week 1 impressions

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Most of her complaints were pretty valid, however one line really hit a sour note with me, "I, at least, don't want to be the one at the party, or on the field shoot, who can't get the cool app that everyone else is downloading all around me." What the **** kind of parties is she going to?

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
App downloading parties of course. But seriously I can see where she is coming from here, hopefully with the new API etc with Mango this will become a problem of the past and not something we'll need to worry about anymore.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I really don't feel "left out" with apps. I don't really play many games on my phone, for the most part the only apps I use are informational apps like weather, stocks, news, so on and so forth.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
She had valid complaints.

I do see the app problem going away fairly quickly.

I do think it's annoying that you have to touch the screen for the turn-by-turn gps.

And you'd think that the TellMe capability would be extended to more areas of the phone. (which I imagine will happen by Windows Phone 8)

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I didn't know about the whole issue with GPS until she brought it up. While I don't use GPS on my phone since I have a GPS unit in my car, this is ridiculous and dangerous.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
From what I understand, the mapping service that MS uses doesn't allow automated voice turn-by-turn. So to get around it, they implemented the touch system, where you could get the next directions by touching the screen. That way it wasn't automatically voiced and thus, didn't break any rules.

If Nokia devices are using their own mapping service, I think it's likely that they won't have this problem.

ikkf

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Most of her complaints were pretty valid, however one line really hit a sour note with me, "I, at least, don't want to be the one at the party, or on the field shoot, who can't get the cool app that everyone else is downloading all around me." What the **** kind of parties is she going to?

lol! Sounds like a very fulfilling life she's got, eh :D

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Because she is a mobile expert that was complaining about Android on twitter.

Some guy offer her a challenge. She would get a Mango WP7 ( in this case Trophy ) and if she didn't love it, he will give 1000 dollars to charity.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Reading that article, If she's a mobile expert, then they must have changed the definition of the word expert.
Because she is a mobile expert that was complaining about Android on twitter.

Some guy offer her a challenge. She would get a Mango WP7 ( in this case Trophy ) and if she didn't love it, he will give 1000 dollars to charity.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Why does anyone give a **** what this particular chick has to say about WP7?

Because she's a writer for Cnet, and a lot of people read what she writes. If she has an overall positive impression, it could convince some people to jump ship and come to WP7.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Reading that article, If she's a mobile expert, then they must have changed the definsition of the word expert.
I've seen her on This Week in Tech but I've never bothered to watch Buzz Out Loud; I'm a TWiT guy.

I'd agree with you, but I'm going to cut Molly some slack because Brandon Watson issued her this "challenge" out of the blue. I'm guessing she's an Android fan and has a full workload, so having to work another phone OS into her normal workflow isn't really a top priority for her. She's been receptive to the tips WP users have given her, so we'll see what her final conclusion is.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
"If you've entered someone's phone number in your address book as "home" instead of "mobile," and you say, for example, "Text Emily," the phone refuses to text her, and insists on calling instead, because her mobile number is listed as a home number. In point of fact, it's both, but it really shouldn't matter, and come on."

That statement bothered me. If you accidentally entered their mobile number as a home number, then it's your own fault - not the OS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes