Mango tips and tricks...

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
i just installed mango 7720 last night and i must say it is amazing. i love it, so much smoother. however i am still figuring things out, and i bet there is a lot i dont know. thought this woud be a good thread for people who are just now getting a chance to experience it. for example, as mentioned in another thread, local scout... under eat & drink, you can touch distance and sort listings by distance, relevance, ratings, or types. so other than just being much smoother in general, any other shortcuts or tips you have found?

btw i have heard of tiles flipping, only ones that flip on my screen is the contacts? do any other tiles flip? and local scout isnt showing up on my wifes phone, any ideas as to why?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
The 'Me' tile flips, and if you have got 'use my location' set to 'Off' in Internet Explorer settings, Local Scout isn't shown. (3 dots at the bottom of IE for settings)

This is different from the one in 'settings' on the phone. (Location Services) Hope that works for you.

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Did u come from the mango beta or from nodo??
You can pin local scout to the start by going into it it and clicking the 3 dots
also 3rd party apps won't flip tiles til the mango apps start being updated in market on Aug 22

Sent from my htc trophy using Board Express

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Did u come from the mango beta or from nodo??
You can pin local scout to the start by going into it it and clicking the 3 dots
also 3rd party apps won't flip tiles til the mango apps start being updated in market on Aug 22

Sent from my htc trophy using Board Express

Yeah, but you can't pin Local Scout to your home screen if it's not there to pin. :)

(If you have 'allow access to my location' in IE turned off, Local Scout is disabled)

Hopefully it's something that simple that's affecting Mrs DizzyMaker's phone. :)

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
You can filter all three of the category pivots by tapping the words underneath each of them. Some of the filters, like "cuisine" under see+do let you choose multiple categories. Neat, but it's the sort of thing that gets overlooked.

And it's interesting that you can pin Local Scout to the home screen. I'm guessing (and hoping) that this means that locations you've favorited will cause the tile to flip and alert you when they have events.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Are we sure? Otherwise it's a bit of a tease to have a tile for it. Granted, it's still very useful as a dedicated tile and it makes the app more visible. Frankly, given deep linking in Mango, I wish more built in app pages were pinnable.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Well i have it pinned and never seen anything appear yet, so just assumed it's a normal tile. (Perhaps wrongly)

But i see nothing in the Local Scout section that would actually update with events etc. (Highlights is blank at my location, maybe that might update)

I've never seen 'See & Do' change either.

Pinning any other place in Local Scout just gives you a Map on the tile of it's location.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Hmm... I imagined it would take you directly to the event page (card?) when you tap on the live tile, but then I guess there's no way to handle multiple updates as you said. There's no notifications page as with the Me tile.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Hmm... I imagined it would take you directly to the event page (card?) when you tap on the live tile, but then I guess there's no way to handle multiple updates as you said. There's no notifications page as with the Me tile.
Yeah it just seems to be a straight shortcut to Local Scout Rico, instead of hitting search first. One step less i guess, but not as good as what you suggested. :)

sandmanfvr

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok I went from NODO to RTM mango last night, love it bugs I had fixed but want to know:

Can we do custom Alert sounds?

Just a yes or no. XDA forums suck in that info and some people there are stupid. Thanks.

hardrock1a

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Rico, good idea about the notification about favorited places. Think that the Bing engine needs to get more robust and connected with services that places might use to promote thier venues. Eventful is an events app that could probably make use of your idea, MS doesn't want to do EVERYTHING, they want the app devs to have a piece of the pie too.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Question of a different ilk: Mango allows mail to be linked to one tile but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to do it. Can anyone offer a quick tutorial on how this is done.

Great idea for the tips & tricks. Mango probably would have a few hundred pages to it's instruction manual and these little pearls of wisdom serve all of us who wouldn't use all of the OS capability.

Thanks to all of you who post here.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
got the local scout to show up, it was just a matter of allowing bing to use location... thanks

custom ringtones is a good point, i forgot about that, being that it is a tips and tricks thread... how do we use custom ringtones? i remember seeing a walkthrough on it a while back...

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
also didnt know if anyone knew this, but you can set your phone up with your windows live email, and there is a feature where you can find your phone... so if you just wanna know where your spouse is at anytime, you can gps her. or if your phone is stolen or lost you can gps its location... very useful

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
got the local scout to show up, it was just a matter of allowing bing to use location... thanks

custom ringtones is a good point, i forgot about that, being that it is a tips and tricks thread... how do we use custom ringtones? i remember seeing a walkthrough on it a while back...
Glad you got it sorted DizzyMaker, here's the mini custom ringtones walkthrough, hope it helps.

Custom ringtones in Windows Phone Mango [How to] | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

:)

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Question for anyone with Mango who uses a Mac. Can you get custom ringtones installed via WP7 Connector?

I like my WP7 phone a lot, but MS pulling this treating the Mac like it's the third world with software support is ridiculous given what more can be done via Zune on a PC and the fact Apple have iTunes on Mac and PC and have never made a fuss about it. It's not 1998 anymore!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6